Rear end in AE86 that can take 350hp.

ownedbypandas
Club4AG Regular

Rear end in AE86 that can take 350hp.

Postby ownedbypandas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:54 pm

I am in loops on which rear end would be the best for my car. I have done some searching on the web and a lot of threads fight about which one is the best or there just arent any replies back. My AE is fun little machine, I currently have a cressida wagon rear end in it now which I just took a **** on a couple of weeks back. I need something that is stronger and can take a serious beating. Don't get me wrong the cressy rear end I have in it lasted for about two years and to be honest, with me beind the wheel that is pretty damn good. My AE is setup for drift(although I dont have IRS), that is my main point of interest with the car.

I want a rear end that is strong, doesnt require a week to fab up, and is easy to find parts for. I am currently making about 340hp to the wheels so I need a rear that can handle that kind of power. I have heard everything in the books from people online, RX7 rear, Cressida rear, Ford Exploder rear, Toy tacoma rear....I just dont know what would be the best one to go with for my use.

If anyone has any insight or can shoot over some builds/threads I can look at that would help out a lot! I appreciate the help guys. Peace.

LongGrain

Re: Rear end in AE86 that can take 350hp.

Postby LongGrain » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm not familiar with what rear end is in the cressida, or which cressida you have a rear end from.

but MA46 supra axle should hold up to that kind of power, especially if you get forged axles from weir. This requires the least amount of fab work.

tacoma 8" rear end and ford 8.8 will be stronger yet, but require more fab work, such as shortening, custom axles, brakes, all new brackets, etc.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:26 pm

This might work...
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=12379

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

ownedbypandas
Club4AG Regular

Postby ownedbypandas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:01 pm

LongGrain wrote:I'm not familiar with what rear end is in the cressida, or which cressida you have a rear end from.

but MA46 supra axle should hold up to that kind of power, especially if you get forged axles from weir. This requires the least amount of fab work.

tacoma 8" rear end and ford 8.8 will be stronger yet, but require more fab work, such as shortening, custom axles, brakes, all new brackets, etc.

I have the Cressida wagon rear which I believe is a 7.8 inch rear. I think I just need something a little stronger than that. Like I said the rear end lasted for about two years with extreme abuse so it wasnt a bad choice. The tacoma is pretty wide to be honest but I know it is pretty strong. The 4wd is a inch longer than the 2wd but the 2wd is harder to find. I have a friend that will sell me the 4wd rear for 100 bucks, I just have to fab it up.

I have also just considered just putting another wagon rear in it just to get mobile and hit a few events and then get something crazy like whatJon above suggested. Thanks for your input.

ownedbypandas
Club4AG Regular

Postby ownedbypandas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:02 pm

jondee86 wrote:This might work...
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=12379

Cheers... jondee86

Saw that a while ago, didn't know if the guy was still doing it or not. I will contact him. Thanks for your input!

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Check with http://www.weirperformance.com/axlekits ... erear.html like LongGrain said. Their axle and spool kit is rated at 350hp, but they also have a bunch of other rear ends that you can possibly swap into your car. Give them a call and ask for some of their other specs on their axles and LSD sets. Good Luck!

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 am

ownedbypandas wrote:
I have the Cressida wagon rear which I believe is a 7.8 inch rear. I think I just need something a little stronger than that. Like I said the rear end lasted for about two years with extreme abuse so it wasnt a bad choice.

Sounds like you have an F series 7.5" rear end and should have 28mm axles, same as MA46.
What broke? If it lasted 2 years abuse throw in another gear set or whatever broke and carry on.
Did you have a solid pinion spacer fitted?

this

ownedbypandas
Club4AG Regular

Postby ownedbypandas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Toy86 wrote:Check with http://www.weirperformance.com/axlekits ... erear.html like LongGrain said. Their axle and spool kit is rated at 350hp, but they also have a bunch of other rear ends that you can possibly swap into your car. Give them a call and ask for some of their other specs on their axles and LSD sets. Good Luck!

Great got it saved in my bookmark, thanks a lot for the help.

ownedbypandas
Club4AG Regular

Postby ownedbypandas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:46 pm

jdm86gtz wrote:
ownedbypandas wrote:
I have the Cressida wagon rear which I believe is a 7.8 inch rear. I think I just need something a little stronger than that. Like I said the rear end lasted for about two years with extreme abuse so it wasnt a bad choice.

Sounds like you have an F series 7.5" rear end and should have 28mm axles, same as MA46.
What broke? If it lasted 2 years abuse throw in another gear set or whatever broke and carry on.
Did you have a solid pinion spacer fitted?

this

Ill try to get the number off of the casing when I get back to identify which one it is. The friend that sold it too me told me it was out of a cressy wagon and its a 7.8. At the time I didnt really care I just put it in to get the car driveable and ended up leaving it in there. I'm not exactly sure what broke I just know neither tire gets power to it anymore(welded) and it hops. I still to this day havent even looked underneath it. I broke it on the way home, towed it home parked it in front of my house and left it there. Where would I be able to order gears for it?

Solid pinion spacer fitted? I dont even know what that is.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

sounds like ring and pinion failure, which almost exclusively happens as a result of crush sleeve failure, solid pinion spacer would fix that.

afaik there is no such thing as a 7.8" toyota rear end. Cressida uses a 7.5

new ring and pinion with a solid spacer from weir with a proper setup and you'll be good forever.