Steering rack moving

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Steering rack moving

Postby Jeonsah » Thu May 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Hey guys,

Has anyone had issues with their manual racks moving horizontally even when the straps tightened? What did you do to fix it? When I am driving, I can feel my rack moving slightly. I can also see it when I have someone move the steering wheel while I visually inspect the rack. I have tried adding shims under the driverside strap to stop it from moving but its still not tight enough. The car has the red poly uerethane bushing by the pinion gear and then the t3 bushing on the passenger side (LHD).

At this point, I am thinking about tack welding the rack to the crossmember....

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

jondee86

Re: Steering rack moving

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:26 am

This is the internet, so just because I don't know anything about steering rack bushes doesn't
mean I can't offer an opinion :mrgreen:

The design of the rack bushes gives them a cotton reel type shape and the overall width of the
bush plus the width of the "flanges" should make the bush a very snug fit both on the rack and
and on the clamp. The D-shaped bush appears to be designed to prevent rotation of the bush
and prevent lateral movement, The round bush just stops the other end flopping around.

I did see one post on another forum that suggests there may be two versions of the D-shaped bush.
One @ 34mm wide and one @ 38mm wide. Something to do with bushes for the KE and AE being
similar but not the same. So maybe if your rack is moving laterally, it may not be wide enough to
make a snug fit ??

Could be worth doing a bit of measuring if the bush has a few mm of slop in the lateral direction.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks for the response! I am actually thinking about picking up a set of those bushings you have listed in the picture. I think I will ask them to measure the width of the bushing first. I think the one I currently have is an energy suspension bushing. The one you have listed above is the bushing from Xcessive Manufacturing.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Nick94tt » Sun May 24, 2020 6:31 am

Usually the bracket strap is snug enough on the lip of the bushing to hold things pretty solid. Is it lateral or vertical movement?

Had a similar situation on a friend's Harley with new bars. Tried shimming and some "dremel knurling" (just roughing up the bars to give the clamps something to bite into.) Eventually used a few wraps of electrical tape. Wasnt wild about that for such a critical part, but 3 years later and we still couldn't knock it around with a dead blow gently.

Not wild about putting so much heat into the rack case but you could run a bead on top of the ridges where the strap secures the bushing to give it more substance to shoulder against. Like you might for an intercooler pipe with no bead tool. I'd try a whole bunch of other things first though.

Could also get unbelievably messy and try to rig up a jig to cast a high durometer bushing in place with the rack installed. I'd say good luck ever removing it without a torch or sawzall at that point though. :lol:

Admittedly I now want to see it done and then see the look on the next guy's face when they try to remove them. :mrgreen:

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”