Pace setter Header

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Pace setter Header

Postby RLZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Does anyone tried pace setter header? Its cheap and 4-2-1, would like to try that but wanna hear from ppl who knows them before i down for it. How does the fitment? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pace-Setter-70- ... 8d&vxp=mtr

death_blossom
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Pace setter Header

Postby death_blossom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

fitment is quite bad I hear. worse than OBX?

inthetwisties

Postby inthetwisties » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Mine isnt too bad..as in I didn't need to bash anything I yo.make it fit. But the welds on it look like a 2year old made it. I'll be making my own next.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 pm

So it does fits without any mods? How it works on your car and any cracks?

inthetwisties

Postby inthetwisties » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Mine fits without modification. I mean, its a case of you get what you pay for. I don't have any cracks yet, however I haven't put to many mileage on it either. If you can spring the cash for a better header, I would.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I always want a 4-2-1 header like TRD but they are hard to come by, any other good brands but not too expensive?
Last edited by RLZ on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 pm

i've had both obx and pacesetter, i would choose the OBX any day.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 pm

But I heard OBX bad fitments..

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 am

Eh, the OBX fitment is alright. I had a little bit of trouble getting the big EGR banjo bolt in, and because of my lower-than-stock Cusco mounts it looked a bit too close to my steering rack u-joint. Once it was all bolted up it fit fine. I was doing the same research you are a few months ago, and I just read way too much about Pacesetter and cracks.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:42 am

The Pace Setter header is a direct bolt-up with no mods necessary. A couple other notes on it. If you don't get the ceramic coated version, the paint burns off on your time running the engine, so don't start the car up inside your garage. The tabs for the heat shield are not even close to correct for the stock rwd heat shield. You'll need to do some mods to the shield and the tabs if you want to use it. I had an extra AE111 heatshield, so I plan to modify that and use it. The #1 primary is close to the distributor, so you will either want to heat wrap your distributor cap, get an AW11 distributor with heat shield or make a heat shield. The slip fit is not super snug and a small tap of the cat can pop it apart. Burns Stainless makes nice exhaust tube clamps, so you will want one of those for the slip fit. Cost is around $7. The flange is too big to fit under the bracket that holds the forward side of the cat up. You'll either need to modify the bracket or not use it (what I did.)

I didn't do dyno tests on mine. On the butt dyno, I didn't notice any difference between it and the stock manifold other than my carbon monoxide headaches went away.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 am

Cracks in tubular headers are usually the result of wrapping the header with heat wrap. The heat wrap holds the heat in the metal which weakens it over time.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am

If nothing better than the stock one then that's no point to use it tho. And still need to mod the heat shields I hate to work under the car. I think I might just pass them, do you guys have any ideas where to get a TRD one? used or new?

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 am

pacesetter sucks, i had one and it just cracked and rusted. they use mild steel which doesnt compare to stainless. buy obx, with the slight fitment issues, its still worth it.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

death_blossom
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby death_blossom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 am

morgan wrote:pacesetter sucks, i had one and it just cracked and rusted. they use mild steel which doesnt compare to stainless. buy obx, with the slight fitment issues, its still worth it.

I completely agree with your statement.

as for buying an authentic TRD, it's pretty hard to come by them on the used market nowadays. just gotta be patient. and I'm talking about the TRD 4-1 header, their 4-2-1 header is an older model and even rarer.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 am

4-1 is for high end right? I running hks sport exhaust right now I think 4-2-1 is better than 4-1 for it..

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 pm

from what i have read about pacesetter is that the 4ag header tends to crack. i have personal experience with OBX and in my application there was no problems with fitment. it bolted up like it should. the only thing that i cannot say is i do not know how the egr pipe fits to the header since im not running an egr
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Yea the egr is the problem too, I still have egr on my car...

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:12 pm

You'll be fine attaching the EGR as long as you leave all bolts loose, then tighten. Test-fitting your EGR pipe and then bending it a bit to fit will also help.

I should also mention that my car passed Oregon DEQ emissions testing with flying colors with the OBX header installed.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Tora wrote:You'll be fine attaching the EGR as long as you leave all bolts loose, then tighten. Test-fitting your EGR pipe and then bending it a bit to fit will also help.

I should also mention that my car passed Oregon DEQ emissions testing with flying colors with the OBX header installed.

Do you mean bending the pipe to fit better?

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:11 am

Yea, bending the EGR pipe. Just a little bit.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

Tora wrote:Yea, bending the EGR pipe. Just a little bit.

ok, but did you feel a difference between the OBX and stock? I really want a 4-2-1 style one..

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 pm

RLZ wrote:
Tora wrote:Yea, bending the EGR pipe. Just a little bit.

ok, but did you feel a difference between the OBX and stock? I really want a 4-2-1 style one..

Yea, I don't get carbon monoxide headaches anymore. :mrgreen:

FEEL a difference? Can't say for sure; I installed the header along with a K&N intake as part of a full rebuild after a BHG. It certainly all feels different, but I wouldn't attribute much of that to the header. It's lighter and louder. The stock manifold is 4-2-1. You're really not going to get much out of a header for this engine.

I installed the OBX header for three reasons:
1. The stock manifold was cracked in several places
2. The stock manifold is heavy
3. I really didn't want to figure out how to bolt the braces all back into place.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:17 pm

FEEL a difference? Can't say for sure; I installed the header along with a K&N intake as part of a full rebuild after a BHG. It certainly all feels different, but I wouldn't attribute much of that to the header. It's lighter and louder. The stock manifold is 4-2-1. You're really not going to get much out of a header for this engine.

I installed the OBX header for three reasons:
1. The stock manifold was cracked in several places
2. The stock manifold is heavy
3. I really didn't want to figure out how to bolt the braces all back into place.[/

At least its better than the stock one right? like a little more torque? Where did you get the K&N intake?

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:19 am

RLZ wrote:At least its better than the stock one right? like a little more torque? Where did you get the K&N intake?

The stock manifold is pretty efficient, for being a heavy SOB prone to cracking after 25 years. Not sure if going from stock 4-2-1 to a 4-1 has had a positive (if any) effect on the torque curve, but it all feels stronger across the board to me. Granted, I'm only 1000 miles into my break-in and haven't opened it up past 5000 RPM yet.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:15 am

what motor you runing? any mods? It should be better than stock I think.
Also can you throw me a link to buy a K&N intake?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am

RLZ wrote:4-1 is for high end right? I running hks sport exhaust right now I think 4-2-1 is better than 4-1 for it..

On my old car I was running the trd 4-1 manifold/downpipe, t3 test pipe, and hks sport cbe - definitely less power in the low and mid range compared to stock. I'm assuming the 4-1 design and low back pressure flowed too well for the stock 16v. Hard to say if top end was better, but it was a screamer :mrgreen:

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:
RLZ wrote:4-1 is for high end right? I running hks sport exhaust right now I think 4-2-1 is better than 4-1 for it..

On my old car I was running the trd 4-1 manifold/downpipe, t3 test pipe, and hks sport cbe - definitely less power in the low and mid range compared to stock. I'm assuming the 4-1 design and low back pressure flowed too well for the stock 16v. Hard to say if top end was better, but it was a screamer :mrgreen:

Thats why I want a 4-2-1 one, I need low end more than high end for me..

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm

RLZ wrote:
Deuce Cam wrote:

Thats why I want a 4-2-1 one, I need low end more than high end for me..

Then you're probably better off with stock. Like I said, I wasn't going for any performance boost with this header, just wanted the stock manifold gone. My rebuild was just a rebuild. Stock bigport. Only modifications were the intake, headers and motor mounts. I'm still running the stock catback (and it's pretty loud).

If you really want low-end torque, go for a GZE swap. I got the K&N from Amazon for about $150:
http://www.amazon.com/57-9000-Fuel-Inje ... automotive

Easy install, great sound, Smog and other emissions testing-legal. Bang-for-buck (probably) the best value intake. Together with the OBX and new motor mounts it all feels pretty good.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm

I just rebuilt the head few month ago so im not swap other motor soon, everything stock tho. The OEM header cracked so i need a new one but only like 4-2-1 tho. But 4-2-1 are hard to come by..What motor mounts you using? Is it easy to replace the motor mounts? Mine going bad i need a new one soon.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Tora wrote:Then you're probably better off with stock. Like I said, I wasn't going for any performance boost with this header, just wanted the stock manifold gone. My rebuild was just a rebuild. Stock bigport. Only modifications were the intake, headers and motor mounts. I'm still running the stock catback (and it's pretty loud).

If you really want low-end torque, go for a GZE swap. I got the K&N from Amazon for about $150:
http://www.amazon.com/57-9000-Fuel-Inje ... automotive

Easy install, great sound, Smog and other emissions testing-legal. Bang-for-buck (probably) the best value intake. Together with the OBX and new motor mounts it all feels pretty good.

Right now I'm using the trd 4-1 with a stock cat/cbe on an oem red top big port - still less power in the low to mid range compared to stock manifold. I don't really mind. Although noticeable, it's not a big difference. I was happy to get rid of the stock manifold because it's heavy, bulky, a bitch to install/remove (it makes the engine harder to work on), and prone to cracking - I've never had one that wasn't cracked, it's inevitable.