Carb Ques. Spacers vs. adapter

DRIFTER
Club4AG Regular

Carb Ques. Spacers vs. adapter

Postby DRIFTER » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 am

Hi guys,

I've got a set of Mikuni 44's with a TRD largeport adapter. Do I require the use of phenolic or rubber carb spacers if I use a T3 largeport to smallport adapter plate? Will the additional chunk of aluminum still allow too much heat transfer? Are there other potential problems?

I'd like to fit the carbs to my smallport 4a-ge.

Thanks.

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Re: Carb Ques. Spacers vs. adapter

Postby saiGone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:44 am

DRIFTER wrote:Hi guys,

I've got a set of Mikuni 44's with a TRD largeport adapter. Do I require the use of phenolic or rubber carb spacers if I use a T3 largeport to smallport adapter plate? Will the additional chunk of aluminum still allow too much heat transfer? Are there other potential problems?

I'd like to fit the carbs to my smallport 4a-ge.

Thanks.

You mean you have a TRD largeport manifold?

I have weber 40s with TWM largeport manifold with t3 adaper plate to a smallport (haven't ran it yet)

As far as the heat transfer, people use the adapter plate with normal EFI set-ups so it should be ok IMO.
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Carb Ques. Spacers vs. adapter

Postby Jimmee1990 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 am

The phenolic spacers have other functions besides heat transfer, they also help with absorbing vibrations that aerate the fuel in the fuel bowls. The heat transfer doesn't apply so much in EFI setups as it's not heating the fuel, just the manifold. Also if you're going to use one of the T3 small-port to big-port adapters please at least match port it, all the transitions are horribly sharp and unfinished.