Surge tank/custom fuel lines??

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Surge tank/custom fuel lines??

Postby daveskatesallday » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:10 pm

For my new setup i'll need a bigger diameter fuel lines as well as baffles in the tank to prevent leaning out during cornering. Unfortunately I have a SR5 tank that doesn't have baffles and still have the small SR5 fuel lines. I was going to search for GTS lines but I was curious has anyone done writeups or did a surge tank setup on the 86 before??
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Re: Surge tank/custom fuel lines??

Postby carbd7age » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 am

I want to know this, too. SR5 tanks (really AE86 tanks) suck cuz they're so far off center. I want to make a fuel cell and all that cool stuff. Look at Jan Pederson's (sp?) build on the old board for inspiration. He's got the white hatch in Europe with the custom flares and BEAMS swap.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 am

carbd7age wrote:I want to know this, too. SR5 tanks (really AE86 tanks) suck cuz they're so far off center. I want to make a fuel cell and all that cool stuff. Look at Jan Pederson's (sp?) build on the old board for inspiration. He's got the white hatch in Europe with the custom flares and BEAMS swap.

the old club4ag?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 am

Here are GTS lines if you want to go the easy way: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1533

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am

I think the basics of the surge tank are a smaller fuel pump from the tank to surge tank and then another larger pump from there to engine bay. Get some fancy steel braided hoses, a surge tank from JSP and be done with it.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm

ethergore2 wrote:Here are GTS lines if you want to go the easy way: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1533

too much for me price wise, thanks for the offer though

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 am

daveskatesallday wrote:
ethergore2 wrote:Here are GTS lines if you want to go the easy way: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1533

It's not my stuff. I thought it was a lot too. Your best (cheapest) bet is probably rubber fuel line or bending your own hard line. Happy wrenching.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 am

ethergore2 wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:

It's not my stuff. I thought it was a lot too. Your best (cheapest) bet is probably rubber fuel line or bending your own hard line. Happy wrenching.

Gotcha, well thanks for the link buddy!
actually i had seen a few places online where you can buy your own fuel lines and end fittings and probably build your own for a fraction of the price. If I end up doing that i'll probably pull my SR5 lines and use them as a template to custom do the lines and bend them accordingly.

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:25 am

That's probably the best way to go. I'm pretty sure you can use the larger of the sr5 lines too.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 am

ethergore2 wrote:That's probably the best way to go. I'm pretty sure you can use the larger of the sr5 lines too.

yea definitely!
I wish i was lucky enough to start off with GTS lines i didn't know this would be a hassle way later but so be it haha.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Here's a little more food for thought. With a GTS tank, I have pickup problems when I am around 1/4 of a tank (according to my highly accurate fuel gauge) and I'm in a corner where I'm pulling more than 1 lateral g. On a fill, I put in roughly 6.7 gallons, so that seems that I have a little more than 1/4 of a tank. As long as I keep the tank more than halfway, I have no pickup problems.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

gotzoom? wrote:Here's a little more food for thought. With a GTS tank, I have pickup problems when I am around 1/4 of a tank (according to my highly accurate fuel gauge) and I'm in a corner where I'm pulling more than 1 lateral g. On a fill, I put in roughly 6.7 gallons, so that seems that I have a little more than 1/4 of a tank. As long as I keep the tank more than halfway, I have no pickup problems.

just as bad as the SR5 tank? well i guess this convinces me for sure to do a surge tank setup then !
wouldn't hurt to keep the tank over half full but realistically with gas prices these days it's possible for the tank to get below that, hopefully can get one done within the next couple weeks, probably order the fuel lines and fittings 2 weeks from now

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:49 am

I guess I should have mentioned that I only have pickup problems with high sustained lateral loads. I've never driven a car with an SR5 tank, so I can't comment on whether this is better. I never had any problems when autocrossing or going slow around the track. If I'm on a hot lap and I let the tank get too low, I start getting pickup problems. Most track events around here, we get two 20 min sessions in the morning and 3 after lunch. I don't have pickup problems until the 5th session if I don't refill.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 am

gotzoom? wrote:I guess I should have mentioned that I only have pickup problems with high sustained lateral loads. I've never driven a car with an SR5 tank, so I can't comment on whether this is better. I never had any problems when autocrossing or going slow around the track. If I'm on a hot lap and I let the tank get too low, I start getting pickup problems. Most track events around here, we get two 20 min sessions in the morning and 3 after lunch. I don't have pickup problems until the 5th session if I don't refill.

understood, ah man i wish this fuel process wasn't such a hassle but i'll take my time and figure out the best route

twntyonejay

Postby twntyonejay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:38 pm

anyone have links for the custom fuel line sites?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 pm

ended up just ordering a new gts tank with baffles, thanks for all the info if i need to later i'll do a surge tank but im pretty happy with the new tank 8-)

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a surge tank that I will be installing, here is a diagram of what needs to happen.

I ended up cutting a hole in my trunk to allow for the fuel lines to come in...

For now I am using a Ford fuel pump (loool. I made it work, flows just enough...) for the pump from the surge tank to the engine. And from the tank to the surge tank I will be using a low pressure Mr. Gasket 12S. Eventually I will install a dual Walbro 180LPH setup, and I will have a fuel cell instead of a gas tank anyway.

As far as the return line... switch the return line and the evap/vapor line. The evap/vapor line is larger in diameter than the return line, and should provide enough flow for it to reach the tank no problems. Right now I am still using the stock return line, no leaks.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 am

might be better off with a GTS tank, I never had fuel starvation issues unless i get it real real low, like the gas light is on and bright and the needle is knocking the E over into a W(for walk) lol

I had an sr5/ae85 fuel tank in my JDM ae86 in JDM land, and it would starve it at 3/8 of a tank while turning hard.

8-Eight_Six-6
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8-Eight_Six-6 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 am

MisterJerk wrote:might be better off with a GTS tank, I never had fuel starvation issues unless i get it real real low, like the gas light is on and bright and the needle is knocking the E over into a W(for walk) lol

I had an sr5/ae85 fuel tank in my JDM ae86 in JDM land, and it would starve it at 3/8 of a tank while turning hard.

Ya same here. Ran my SR with stock GT-S lines and GT-S tank with a 255 and had no problems. It's just good practice to not run your tank stupid low. Low tank = more surface area. More surface area = more air and can cause airation in your fuel; that creates pockets and thats no good. Even the best baffles cant protect your tank from airation if it gets too low. Radium makes a super cool surge tank that i'll be getting here soon along with my Aermotive fuel cell. If you have some decent money in whatever you are building and are truly going to be avid in racing I would just fork out the cash for a fuel cell and surge tank. Or if you weld just make your own. Goodluck.