A communal open letter to the previous owners of our AE86s

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

A communal open letter to the previous owners of our AE86s

Postby burdickjp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Dear PO,
Thank you for installing the transmission drain and fill plugs so tight as to be nearly impossible to remove. Were you trying for a Gordian knot of some kind, or should I ask Eurystheus for a favor?
I don't think that installing the engine to transmission bolts finger tight quite compensates for this, either.
Best wishes,
JP
Pursuing the ideal

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Re: A communal open letter to the previous owners of our AE8

Postby idreamofdrifting » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 pm

burdickjp wrote:Dear PO,
Thank you for installing the transmission drain and fill plugs so tight as to be nearly impossible to remove. Were you trying for a Gordian knot of some kind, or should I ask Eurystheus for a favor?
I don't think that installing the engine to transmission bolts finger tight quite compensates for this, either.
Best wishes,
JP

+1 :lol:

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 pm

No one wants to join the open letter?

C'mon. What would you like to tell the PO of your car?
Pursuing the ideal

Jerkberg
Club4AG Regular

Postby Jerkberg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 am

Here's one for ya.

Dear PO,

Thank you for going out of your way to avoid changing the door hinges for what I can only imagine was a period of several years. Your avoidance of this task has accomplished destroying so much that it is almost impressive. After purchasing new hinges I was surprised to find that my door striker was so battered that it now moves freely and my door does not stay closed. The latch so damaged that it is difficult to open and shut. The door handle pulled on so hard that I had to through-bolt it and lastly the door skin so relentlessly battered from being kicked and kneed shut that it is about as wavy as the ocean breaking against a mountain.

Screw you,

Sincerly

- Jerkberg

PS: I bought a whole parts car just to remedy these issues.

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Dear PO,
After all those years, tank you for leaving my car generally unmolested and for the change in the rear seat and coin holder.
Thanks! :D

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Dunno about a letter, but I'd like to repeatedly smack the **** out of the last three owners for their shitty bodywork and dyking the unholy hell out of the harnesses

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Dear PO,

Thank you for Bondoing over the rust around my sunroof and using a hammer from the inside for "body work"

P.s. Thanks for the 2 separate Cruise control systems installed. I removed both of them as a gift for my garbage man.

We really should Carfax our cars. Probably be surprised how many states it's been in.
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 am

saiGone wrote:Dear PO,

Thank you for Bondoing over the rust around my sunroof and using a hammer from the inside for "body work"

P.s. Thanks for the 2 separate Cruise control systems installed. I removed both of them as a gift for my garbage man.

We really should Carfax our cars. Probably be surprised how many states it's been in.

+1 :lol:

Swayton
Club4AG Regular

Postby Swayton » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:55 am

Instead of writing a letter, I'll post detailed pics of the headache of buying from someone who doesnt know how to deal with cars...

]I learned my lesson, if someone is selling a project car and you see signs of ghetto work done to it, DONT BUY IT. You're in for a world of headache when you find more stupid stuff pile up on the car...

1- Primer overspray EVERYWHERE on glass and window trim, no taping up

Overspray on tinted tail lights as well (I removed all the black and restored the original look)

2- Hood spacers added and corners of hood were bent upwards to add more "hood vent flare" This was done by pry bars ON THE FENDER.

3- Primer OVER pinstriping and Twin Cam door decals and trunk (pressure washer took all the decals off, but now I have to sand a lot of primer off to smooth it up...)

You can see the wonders of using a pressure washer.

4- Electric fan switch had no secure/taped up wire contact points... burned the carpet when it was mounted under the e-brake handle.

5- Mechanical fan was left installed (does nothing) when Civic radiator was installed with electric fan (radiator is on passenger side, mechanical fan is in the middle of the bay, nowhere close to being useful)

6- Rear deck speakers were not secured, they flew out while I was drifting.

7- All speaker wires were cut and rerouted to other random places of the car (I think the speaker wires were used to run a subwoofer) plus the RCA cable was found damaged under the carpet through the rear seat frame rails because they had trouble removing it by yanking; the plug ends got caught and got ripped. Also were tapped into from a corner speaker wire.

8- Radio was removed before I got the car, but wire contacts were left exposed, so the dash harness burned up end to end (I dont have a radio, but it was pulling current from the running lights, thus burning up some more...)

9- Trailer wiring and box installed in trunk to make one tail light work...

10- Only HALF of the fender arches were rolled on each rear fender...

11- This car appears to have jumped onto a curb and bottomed out (possible street drifting in previous ownership) so the floor pan under the drivers seat is pushed up 3 inches into the cabin (I guarantee you that I'll be sledgehammering that bitch real soon) and the frame rails are pancaked flat in the same spot.

12- This car hit a pole by a previous owner street drifting, so the radiator support is damaged and frame is bent. THIS IS THE REASON THE CAR GOT PRIMERED. THis car was a beautiful one tone silver!

13- Steering U-Joint fell apart right when I started to remove it, I dont know what would happen if I drove the car an extra mile.... >_<

14- I found an aftermarket remote lock device installed in a ghetto fashion only in the passenger door of my drift car. The stupid, they keep coming...

15- Idiot torched out the lower radiator mounts and installed a Civic radiator (blew my 4age due to overheating running drift events with HALF the coolant capacity than a standard Toyota limit...)

It's a work in progress, as I basically removed everything and installed parts from other cars that I trust, lol.

Painted engine bay and created a removable radiator support.

I re-primered the fender, which is why it looks different.

Basically, the engine was replaced, the dash harness was swapped out, and then I got it caged and plastidipped, before the engine was pulled and getting a 1UZ swap with a Ford 8.8 rear.

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 am

Bout all I'd ask them is how a red GT-S hatch got painted red panda scheme (after it left the factory, paint codes don't match. Also, GT-S' not offered in that color scheme).

Perks of buying a virgin car untouched by the tuner world at large.

For the SR-5.

Dear older couple,

GREAT JOB!

Sincerely,
Mason
:mrgreen:
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Dear PO,

Thank you for not being as big an asshole as the previous owner of Swaytons car. Hahahaha.

Holy crap, I don't feel so bad now

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Dear PO,
Thank you for NOT performing any body work or repairs whatsoever on my 86 before paint. It's good to know that your rattle can Lowes paint sealed up all the surface rust. I'd also like to commend you on your ability to cover everything in said paint. My door plastics are now well camouflaged in the door jams and hell, I don't even notice!
Thanks man!

MrFrosty
Club4AG Regular

Postby MrFrosty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 am

Dear PO thank you for the bodywork headache of cheap plasti dip that doesn't quite peel off like it does in the videos ,attempting to roll the rear fenders into a crumpled beer can perfection of mordern art ,and neglecting pretty much the whole car with cheap fixes. Also for cutting half the coils out of the springs blowing all the shocks and making the poor 86 a death trap from hell. Why did I end up buying this? Maybe because I didn't want to see another gts coupe find its way to the scrapper who knows. But I know one thing even with all the headaches it will all pay off eventually :D .

Nomnom83
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Nomnom83 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 am

Dear PO, thank you for "flaring" the passenger rear quarter panel with what looks a pair of channel locks, and just leaving it there to rust, also for installing your uber cool Godspeed sway bars but reusing 30 year old rubber endlinks, that had no hope of ever surviving the first corner. Clunk clunk. I appreciate to spilling what seems to 3 quarts of gear oil in the rear trunk, I lucky it's a coupe so the smell is mostly contained back there.

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 am

this thread

Nomnom83
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Nomnom83 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Bringing this back cause somethings just need to be shared

http://i.imgur.com/TZdaWIH.jpg

What your looking at is the upper water pump bolt hole, PO broke the bolt. That's fine, it happens. But some somehow completely fubared the repair. Toasting this block. Off center hole then just said f this hit with hammer. In addition to this he broke off 2 of 4 bolts for alt bracket.

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 pm

where do i start, under the 1/8th inch thick bondo there's approximately 150 holes drilled in the qp.

mhhhm k

#savethe86

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:38 am

Sorry to hear/see that, zem.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Dear PO,

Thank you for never cleaning the inside of the car and having poor hygiene. The BO smell inside the cabin was unbearable and transferred to clothes (like that Seinfeld episode). It was so bad that I didn't even attempt to clean the seats so I gave them away. I did keep the carpet because it was in good condition visually, but it was taken out and subject to a good 6+ hours of steam cleaning. Floor tar removed, all sound deadening (matting for firewall/carpet/panels), and all hard surfaces cleaned front / back, even all the parts behind the dash inside / out. The result: 99% of the smell is removed. However, if water gets in the cabin, and it does because I have a small window leak, the BO smell slightly comes back, on top of the damp cloth smell, until everything dries out. Impressive.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Just a note for your future endeavors: RTV Blue is NOT something you should use to help seal a headgasket. This will only result in a blob of it blocking the single oil passage to the head, which will let the cam run dry and gall the cam carriers in the head.

Oh, and when you install an aftermarket steering wheel, be aware that most people are not 8-year-old girls, so their fingers actually WON'T fit between the wheel and the turn signal stalk.

Yours truly...