Where is the love for the AE86.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Where is the love for the AE86.

Postby idreamofdrifting » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 pm

A classic topic from the bowels of Club4AG archives that sure to hit a lot of nerves.
Though lengthy, it is a must read!
It's what separates:
the posers from the purists.
players from the professionals.
knock-offs from the originals.
Let's explore this great divide!

Post Title: Where is the love for the AE86.
Posted by: 2kwik2c at 7:09 AM 2/7/2008

First of I know I’m gonna get grilled for this sensitive subject that I’m about to disclose.
But the beauty of it is that you can see the difference of other people opinions and criticism and it’s their opinions and criticism that count the most. This is where mistakes are realized and improvements in life are made.
Anyway here goes:

Being in this forum since 2004 I’ve seen many members come and go as well as new AE86 owners and members that are born because of this trend. In this forum you got a mixture of hardcore track members and hardcore show members. I wouldn’t call this forum a “melting pot” since each and every member are outspoken about their passions and what they’re into so in short their opinions differs from others. I’d rather say that this forum site more like a “salad” where all of us here are like the vegetables. We all belong to the vegetable group yet we’re different because of our appearance, shape, texture, and taste. Everyone have their own ideas, prerogatives, and passions.

Anyways, it is the subject of Real Deal vs. Knock offs. as well as Values that I’d like to talk about. Recently, I’ve seen too many knock off products that are sprouting out of the classifieds lately. What’s so great about getting the copies/ knock offs? For one they are very affordable. Every single knock off or copies out there are within everyone’s budget line. You don’t have to skip a meal every lunch time just to save a penny towards a JDM part for your car or a JDM wheels to sport with. Every knock off or copies are always in stock, very available, and within easy reach. There are no back orders so there’s no waiting. Everyone likes to have their parts immediately instead of waiting for months before it arrives. Knock offs or copies when damaged are expendable since they’re cheap. You can always buy another one or another set in the event that you damage it.

I am not saying that I, myself isn’t a knock off buyer too. I can admit that there are times when I bought knock offs or copies in the past. I have bills to pay like everyone else does and there are times when I have to budget my expenditures and stick with cheaper priced parts. Or sometimes in desperate measures I would settle for a knock off just to get that part(s) on hand. One thing I do realize about buying knock offs are their quality. Like for example a copy side skirts. Quality wise the product does not meet any of my expectations. Fitment is poor, surface texture is rough and off, strength and rigidity is weak, and you’ll end up spending more time installing the bastard. Where as the OEM side skirts quality is excellent, fitment is superb, surface texture is smooth, rigidity is strong, and most of all you can install it in a jiffy without any modifications. With this realization I’ve committed myself to buying nothing but “real deal” products.

As for the ”real deal” products what’s so good about it? For one their quality is at the utmost specs, those products are backed by a company that’s in the business for a long time and have vast experience in the racing world, consumer satisfaction knowing that the product you just bought is produced with care and quality in mind. Not to mentioned bragging rights since you happen to own a “bling, bling” product. The downside of this though is that the parts are very expensive and pricey. You have to neglect all your bill payments just to save up money to buy one or a set of these things.
These items are not expendable since they’re expensive to replace when it gets damaged. So you end up not using them so much since you’re afraid to hurt them and hurt your wallet. They’re often back ordered and have to wait for months before you can have them, so that means it’ll have to come from the Motherland of performance products (Japan).

Now that I’ve presented those two (2) factors we can clearly see the pros and cons, the advantages and disadvantages of both the knock offs and the real deal. Every member in here has different life style. Some are students and some are working professionals. Some are big earners and some are just living off the minimum wages. Not everyone can afford a real deal product so therefore has to settle with the knock offs.

By now some of you are probably scratching your heads and thinking “What’s this fool up to and what’s the point of this thread” Well the point I’m making is RESPECT! Respect for your car and respect for its value! I’ve been to two JCCS event over the past couple of years and I’ve seen so many restored cars there. They’re so beautifully crafted and immaculate. From one side you see 240Zs. Beautiful cars, awesome paint job, and every nook and cranny of that car is all original and/or JDMed. The same goes for the older Honda S2000 coupes and the Mazda RX3 cars. The number of beautifully restored cars is countless. There’s just too many. You can basically get the idea and the impression that these cars have drained all of the owner’s money just to get into that state. I can just imagine these owners are probably on a cup-o-noodle diet just to save up money to fix their cars up. Now when I reach the AE86 section you can almost count the number of AE86 that are beautifully restored and/or modified and the rest is just so-so. As an AE86 owner myself, I find this shocking. You would think that as an AE86 owner you would beautify your car to make it look decent and respectable. I believe that we (AE86 owners) fall short of this category. Not a lot would spend the time, effort, and most of all money to make their car look like a champ. It’s a 20 plus year old car and you’d expect that this car could be treated as a vintage vehicle. That’s not our case. Most of us buy AE86 because we saw it in an anime called Intial D or we buy this car because we like to drift it around like the pros does in D1 events. I’ve seen so many videos and stories of new AE86 owners that disregard the value of the car by drifting the sucker and end up in a curb or a ravine because they try to be Takumi or Keichii damaging the car to a point that it’s un-drivable. Where’s the respect for the car? I bet a fully restored 240Z owner wouldn’t drift their car around especially after all the work and money that was invested in. But on rare occasions they might just test out the performance of the engine by driving it at high speed, but that’s rarely. Call it “exercising the engine”. But for us AE86 we just buy it to make it faster for drifting. If we damage it, then we can always get another shell or buy an SR5 and swap the good parts from the bad ones. I mean come now. Where’s the love there? We lack the respect for our cars. TheAE86 couldn’t be appreciated much. They’re just cars that you can drift around and wreck at the same time. No appreciation for it’s value.

People would buy an AE86, but they’re not willing to spend extra cash just to make the car look good or better. That’s when they just settle to buying copies or knock offs just so they have the same thing as the real deal. Again where’s the respect there? A good comparison and analogy to that is the clothes you wear. A majority of us consumers like to buy brand named clothing. If we come across a clothier store or item we’ve never heard off, we get suspicious about it and end up not buying those items. They might be cheap, but don’t like it since it’s not a name brand. Heck we don’t even know if the textile will rip easily. Plus wearing clothes that came from Anchor Blue, Old Navy, Ambercombie and Fitch, Hollister, GAP etc. etc. make us feel good about ourselves and it reflects the type of person we are. We take pride into our lifestyle. Buying knock offs is like going to Anna’s linens and buying a raw textile in which you yourself will sew your own clothing except the quality that you have put on to this work is sloppy and unmatched. Where as you can save up a couple to dough and buy you better clothes from Anchor Blue, Old Navy, etc.etc. It’ll make you look good, make you feel better, take pride into yourself, and maybe catch some women’s attention along the way.

I’ve heard time and time again about wanting to own AE86 because you love it so much that it’s always been my dream to own one, but you wouldn’t want to spend more money on OEM/JDM parts to further beautify the car. You’re better off with what’s cheap out there in the market. This is where you are wrong. I’ve seen many people ask question about ”Should I buy an AE86 or should I get newer, much more reliable car other than the AE86” That question is now a classic since I’ve seen that many times in the forum and I’ve always been tempted to answer these questions in a sarcastic / cynical way. Luckily I’m able to restrain myself from posting a reply, but now I think it’s time to express those feelings. First off when you’re buying an AE86, Corolla GTS or whatever you call it you are buying a 20 plus year old car; it’s actually almost getting into 30 years. Anyways, previous owners of this car might have or have not taken care of this vehicle so you can expect some problems along the way. It’s the most unreliable car around because of its age. Every now and then your car will run smooth and good and all of a sudden “poof” you have something broken. It can be an engine, suspension, electrical, or body issue or it can be anything. Be prepared to spend more money to it because of these issues. The AE86 is a money pit and I can attest to that. You want your AE86 to be reliable, run well, and look good on all sides? That’s when you really need to put some serious money in buying the parts that will last you years. Knock off or copies cannot assure you on those matter. There’s no assurance on the longevity of the product. Remember, this is an old car that you are restoring. Every vintage car owners can attest to their experiences with older cars and how much they have invested in making that car look good and run good. I bet the money they have invested into their cars is almost equal to the money they’re spent in buying a house. If you’re the type of person who’s not ready to commit into getting the best for your rides, then the AE86 is not the car for you. Don’t buy it if you’re not going to spend money on it. You’d be better of getting yourself a newer, much more reliable car than the AE86. Nowadays the AE86 cannot be dubbed as a performance car especially now that Nissan just released their new R35 GTR skyline. Now that’s a performance car. The AE86 is simply a vintage relic that need’s to be given the utmost attention to detail by its owner. If you’re just going to disrespect the car by driving it hard and wrecking it in the process, then don’t buy it. There are many true die hard enthusiasts out there that are willing to spend money on the car to keep her immaculate and clean.

In conclusion to my novel like post I just want to say to everybody to please give some respect to your car. Take pride to your work, your craftsmanship. What you put into your car reflects your personality and the type of person you are. Take good care of your car and live up to those words when you say that you love the AE86. Treat the car well and it’ll treat you good as well. Buying knock off or copies not only hurt your car’s value, but also it hurts the economy since it affects the other retailers. Show the other model car owners what the AE86 is made off when the stuff is made right and done right. Last but not least please don’t take this post as a “put down” and insulting. I’m just trying to make a point about the way we treat our vehicles. Instead of feeling negatively about this post, treat this post as a challenge among yourselves and strive for best that you can do for your car……The AE86.

Link to the original thread:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=20594

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Re: Where is the love for the AE86.

Postby SidekickChuck » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 am

Thats a great conclusion statement. Love it.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

ronny
Club4AG Expert

Postby ronny » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 am

AMEN..

but then again.... the community has changed alot since back then brotha... all the nublets don get it... hence why all the older guys don even bother with the community and keep low key with their resto ae86s...

you have the track guys that keep it pure and enjoy the car for what it is and are also low key.. they don post anything dumb.. they know what they are doing and thats that...

then you have the new Gen ae86 owners... no comment.. (for ex.. Club4ag facebook) disaster..
Rays - Project Mu - TE37 club
BLUE MOON / CUSCO
AE86fightclub.com
PM me for Contact

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm

While i haven't been in the ae86 community for that long (going on two years now woo!! lol). But right after i bought my corolla, there was a huge surge of "new gen" owners.

The thing that saddens me the most, is that they just have no respect for the car. I mean, they are 35+ year old cars and they are a blast to drive around in stock form. Yet, since everyone has to drift now, they have to be cool and get a "hachiroku". But do they keep it in stock form? No, they gut it, swap in another motor, go crash into everything, and ruin a perfectly good car. And before someone gets pissy at me, there are some really tastefully done corollas set-up for drifting, but there are very few of those.

But you look at all the people that set their corollas up for autox/track days, they have respect for the car and what it is. Are they upgrading it? Sure, you almost have to, it has 35+ year old technology on it. That's dinosaur bones compared to what is available today. But they still have respect for the car and are worried about not crashing it. And with that i have to bring something up with "new gen" owners, i was talking with one about his car and he crashed it (more than once) and it had some pretty bad damage. Yet he just said "o well i go buy an SR5 and swap it over", you can't keep doing this crap because they will run out one day. You are going to screw over a lot of people just so you can (try to) live out your Takumi dreams.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:32 pm

Well I read through the whole thing. Thanks for writing it. I have thought about many of the things you said before, and I'm glad you finally posted about it.

Sometimes I selfishly wish that the AE86 was not a good drift car because that would stop a lot of the tearing apart... I know I'm the minority here when I say this, but I don't think anyone should do a modification that can't be unmodified (ie. frame cutting and fender rolling). Someday no one will want an AE86 drift car, but everyone will want a clean stock AE86. My 86 won't be my last, but I will make sure that every one I own ends up in better condition than when I found it. I feel like it's the least I can do for the community.

Let's do our best to keep these cars alive! :D

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 am

Everyone has to start somewhere... and if you ain't born rich, chances
are you start with something cheap. Messing round with SR5's and GTS's
is a good way to start learning about cars. Peer pressure and fads being
what they are, everyone wants a 20V swap when the end result seldom
justifies the effort and cost involved. Thats part of the learning.

Lets drag up a few cult cars from the past... Z28, GTO, T-Bird, Mustang,
Firebird and Corvette. There was a time when they were cheap and plentiful,
and young guys messed a round with them... and crashed them. No-one got
upset because that was what kids did. Those cars are todays prized barn
finds. Rarity adds value.

I have nothing against guys restoring cars to incredibly high standards
with every part polished to a high shine, perfect painwork, stanced to the
max and decked out with every JDM part under the sun. Typically you will
not see these cars at the mall or on the autox course. Personally, I like
my ride to be neat and tidy, but I like to drive my car. And I like to get
out on the backroads and twisties. So the car gets a few stone chips and
a bit of dust and mud on it sometimes.

My enjoyment comes from making small improvements, and then taking
a drive to see if I got it right or wrong. The AE86, more than most cars,
is made for driving... and I love driving my car :) So don't don't be dissing
the young guys who trash their cars. Just remember that every AE86 they
destroy is adding value to your fully restored pride and joy ;)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

OG UTOTMO
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby OG UTOTMO » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:18 am

jondee86 wrote:Everyone has to start somewhere... and if you ain't born rich, chances
are you start with something cheap. Messing round with SR5's and GTS's
is a good way to start learning about cars. Peer pressure and fads being
what they are, everyone wants a 20V swap when the end result seldom
justifies the effort and cost involved. Thats part of the learning.

Lets drag up a few cult cars from the past... Z28, GTO, T-Bird, Mustang,
Firebird and Corvette. There was a time when they were cheap and plentiful,
and young guys messed a round with them... and crashed them. No-one got
upset because that was what kids did. Those cars are todays prized barn
finds. Rarity adds value.

I have nothing against guys restoring cars to incredibly high standards
with every part polished to a high shine, perfect painwork, stanced to the
max and decked out with every JDM part under the sun. Typically you will
not see these cars at the mall or on the motox course. Personally, I like
my ride to be neat and tidy, but I like to drive my car. And I like to get
out on the backroads and twisties. So the car gets a few stone chips and
a bit of dust and mud on it sometimes.

My enjoyment comes from making small improvements, and then taking
a drive to see if I got it right or wrong. The AE86, more than most cars,
is made for driving... and I love driving my car :) So don't don't be dissing
the young guys who trash their cars. Just remember that every AE86 they
destroy is adding value to your fully restored pride and joy ;)

Cheers... jondee86
amen to this last comment

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:00 pm

+1 for the comment above!

I do love the eliquint way this all was writen, and I agree with treating any car you own as best as you can. But If you love racing, love drifting, love autoX damages are to be expected. If you love car shows, change will always been there, and you love dailydriving expected maintance is there too. I always have a hard time deciding what I personally think is the best for my self. I love going to car shows, or showing my cars there. But at the same Time I love driving. I built each car so I could do a specific event of sorts. So I think we should feel the love for all the different wonderful things the AE86 and other cars can do. Weither you enjoy spirited driving, drift events, Car shows, or garage queens etc. Cause if you can't race the AE86 ( I am not promoting beating your car up and never maintaining it) ,but what car is ok too? and vice versa for daily driving, car show queens etc :)
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:02 am

^ This is all very true and I'm not arguing against that. What ever you do with your car i.e. drift, track, autox, hell even just driving around, there is the inherent risk of damaging your car. The only way for sure to not damage your car is to keep it in a garage and never take it out (but who wants to do that lol)

But it is the attitude of damaging these cars is what i have a problem with.
Most autox/track/daily drivers damage their car and it they give the reaction of " F**k, i might have to buy another car."

The new-Gen drifters (i have to make clear NOT ALL DRIFTERS) have the attitude of "F**k it, ill just buy another car"

Almost the same sentence but one little word changes the whole attitude.

Moto-P
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto-P » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 am

Eat REAL Sushi... Is what I say. Fake sushi will one day make you sick with pains...
Moto Miwa
founder, Club4AG

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 am

MotoP wrote:Eat REAL Sushi... Is what I say. Fake sushi will one day make you sick with pains...

+1

2kwik2c
Club4AG Regular

Postby 2kwik2c » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Wow. It's been along time I've posted here. I was trolling around today until this thread caught my attention and felt compelled to answer to jondee86 comments. Looks like the post that I posted 6 years ago has been revived. Thanks idreamofdrifting for bringing it back from the grave. This should clearly state old AE86 owners their thoughts about new owners of this car. Love to stir the pot as they say.

And as for the clever posting and conclusion of jondee86 "So don't don't be dissing the young guys who trash their cars. Just remember that every AE86 they destroy is adding value to your fully restored pride and joy" That's exactly the main problem. With the value of our so-called "pride and joy" adding up, we are scared sh!t driving or parking it out as we got thieves lurking around to steal our cars. With the young ones all thrashing the other chassis we will have a shortage and next thing you know they will relegate into stealing and come after our own. Sometimes your logic is messed up you don't even factor in those equations. With the popularity of the AE86 chassis many more will still get in the band wagon and with the shortage of supply how are you going to fill that hole? You're going to give up your Corolla just to give it to another person so that they can thrash it? What a world we live in today....almost all AE86 is expendable..that's just sad....very sad to hear.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:11 pm

You worry too much man !!! When "drifting" first became popular. everyone
wanted to be Initial D and drive an AE86. But take a look at the cars in the
drifting scene now. Its all about big power and Sylvias, Supras and Mustangs.
The AE86 occupies the same spot in popular imagination that is filled by the
3-series BMW in Europe and the Ford Escort in the UK. Its about being RWD,
cheap and available.

Scum are gonna steal your nice old car because they want to go joyriding.
Happens everywhere, and old cars are easier to steal. Its a problem all over
the world... not just something that happens if you own an AE86. Possessions
can be a bitch sometimes :)

Cheers... jondee86

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Dream,
Are you doggin on my cheap, hooker side skirts!!!!

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm

cliqwe wrote:Dream,
Are you doggin on my cheap, hooker side skirts!!!!

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Lol, oh zang, that was harsh... D;

2kwik2c
Club4AG Regular

Postby 2kwik2c » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:12 pm

jondee86 wrote:You worry too much man !!! When "drifting" first became popular. everyone
wanted to be Initial D and drive an AE86. But take a look at the cars in the
drifting scene now. Its all about big power and Sylvias, Supras and Mustangs.
The AE86 occupies the same spot in popular imagination that is filled by the
3-series BMW in Europe and the Ford Escort in the UK. Its about being RWD,
cheap and available.

Scum are gonna steal your nice old car because they want to go joyriding.
Happens everywhere, and old cars are easier to steal. Its a problem all over
the world... not just something that happens if you own an AE86. Possessions
can be a bitch sometimes :)

Cheers... jondee86

Worry too much!!? Steal your car for joyriding!!?? I guess you were born yesterday as you don't know what's going on in the world. Either you are ignorant or just in denial. You got plenty more of rice to eat sonny before you reach my age and life experiences. I really like that calm, laid-back attitude of yours as if nothing bad is going to happen to you.
I don't know where you really live, but I guess for an Aucklander like you, your country probably seldom have any car thefts going on. But from where I live and my country, this is like a norm. Just check this forums threads on who's car got jacked and you will see there are several. Just wait until you experience it for yourself; where your car is gone one day. It'll take weeks or even months before law enforcement recovers it and there you'll find out all that is left is just a bare frame. There are also some incidences where the car is never recovered at all. When that happens to you, then tell me how it feels. You'll never learn or appreciate the value of your possessions until they're forever gone. The newer generations take everything for granted therefore they never know what they have.

My question still stands: When the time comes where the shortage of AE86 happens and you have other would be owners looking for this car, how are you going to fill that hole? Will you give up your Corolla just to give it to another person so that they can thrash it? Forget the BMW, Audi, MB, Nissan, Mazda, and other RWD cars. I'm talking about owners that wants this PARTICULAR car and not just any car? Once you give my an answer that I cannot deny or refuse to accept, then I'll shut my mouth and disappear from this forum again.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Don't be obsessed by possessions, Pope says in starting Lent

"We live in a world that is always more artificial, in a culture of 'making,'
of 'profit,' where without realizing it, we exclude God from our horizon," he
said in his homily at a Mass concluding the service.

"Often today, giving freely is not part of daily life, where everything can be
bought and sold, where everything is calculated and measured," he said.

Francis, leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics, said the best way
to give was to not expect anything in return.

This way, he said, people can free themselves "from the obsession of
possession
, from the fear of losing what we own, from the sadness of
those who do not want to share their well-being with others".

I guess the Pope never owned a Corolla though ?

Cheers... jondee86

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 pm

What the hell (hehe) does the pope have anything to do with a corolla?

Mr.Fujiwara
Club4AG Expert

Postby Mr.Fujiwara » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 am

Ahmen!!
Peter well said man I'm no OG
And don't claim to be and yeah
I may be considered a 20v fan boy
But my respect for the corolla goes
Back to my childhood. I have a pic of
Myself at like 3 in my uncles slightly
Modded Zenki Coupe. And it may have
Nothing to do about the topic at hand lol
But my uncle always taught me if your going
To spend so much money into something you
Have to enjoy it !! So that's my motto I want to
Keep it clean and sleek looking but still be able to
Rip it up!
I'm glad you wrote this and I'm glad I read the whole
Thing and I hope more people do cause it's an eye opener

And on the whole knock off vs real wheels I'm all for real stuff
I bought a set of str bbs copies and when I was at home holding
The wheel in my hand it just felt off so I ended up trading for some
Riken mesh wheels ( yeah no ssr but I'll get there lol ) they felt a whole
Lot better and but buddy with an s13 got the same wheels and we were running
The mountains he spun out hit the wheel on the shoulder and cracked the rim!!!
That's not something I want to have My car sitting on

Lol so that's my rant from a newer member since only about 2010 lol
Old username: Charskiezz

20V BT: Traded For F20c Swap

kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Postby kulitko » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

YOu see.... Thats what Ive been telling people all the time... You need to make sure you buy the real ROTAS. BTW I have a set of real ROTAS if anyone is interested.... BOOM..... 2KWIK2C is now to 2OLD2C =)

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

A secondary thread could be titled... where is the love for the CORRECT 4AGE...... you know the one with 16 valves
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Each to their own I guess...

Cheers... jondee86

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm

+1

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 pm

InitialB
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby InitialB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 pm

I whole heartedly agree with 2kwik2c. Ever since drifting hit mainstream popularity, the whole Japanese car scene has taken a dive. People with no prior interest in cars took cars with infamous potential ie. S13/14, RX7, and AE86 and made them into monstrosities. Call me a backward Japan-style purist but the tasteless "America style" modifications made to these cars show massive disrespect. I already felt sick when V8s came into play but now with the whole knockoff wheel thing it makes me want to ditch cars and pick up crochet. People don't understand why the purists talk down to them when they have Rotas or Varrstoens or even fake seats. They use lame excuses and we are suddenly the "faggots." There are only a few corolla owners that I genuinely respect for taking the time to make their cars stylish.

Like I have always said, there is no budget when you build a car. Set your standards high and work to achieve them. It doesn't matter if it takes 10 years, the end result will blow people away and your dedication will be rewarded.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 am

It is amazing how car enthusiasts kind of gravitate together in blobs of
different colour, and then start talking down anyone who is not in their blob !!!
- Vintage and veteran
- NASCAR oval track
- NHRA drag racing
- Time attack
- Drifting
- Customised cars
- Lowriders
- Hotrods...

There are more, and somewhere amongst these established genres there is
a place for the restoration and modification of Japanese cars old and new.
Your car is yours to do what you like with... but where does anyone get the
authority to start telling other people that what they are doing with their car
is wrong ??

I like cars fullstop :) I admire the efforts that people put into restoring classic
cars. I respect the engineering that goes into building dragsters and the
imagination that makes one hotrod look more "right" than another. I can
appreciate the perfection of top oval track and grand prix cars. Rally, drift,
slammed and bagged... I love to see it done well.

But I also leave room to admire the kid who teaches himself about cars by
pulling apart some $500 shitter and rebuilds it with parts from the junkyard
and gets it running. That grin when the engine fires up for the first time is
priceless !! And if he can't afford $2K for panel and paint, and drives around
with different coloured doors with patches of primer, that doesn't bother me.

And if he buys a cheap set of knock-off mags to replace the steel rims and
skinny tires, then I know that he wants his car to look good. So I don't bag
him for that. And you know why ? Because I used to be that kid ;)

Cheers... jondee86