JDM Rear Kouki Bracket Mounting Locations

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

JDM Rear Kouki Bracket Mounting Locations

Postby aaronlee133 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 am

Whoever is using the JDM rear kouki brackets - I noticed that the mounting holes don't line up perfectly with the frame. Specifically, I may need to drill out the frame holes a little larger so as to match with the bracket. Just curious if anyone had this issue and no, the car has never been rear ended or damaged.

Thanks,
-Aaron

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Re: JDM Rear Kouki Bracket Mounting Locations

Postby RLZ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 pm

I drilled on mine also!

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm

No!!!! If you dont want to drill your chassis frame to mount that jdm bracket... Just fine your self a pair of longer bolt and screw that fit thru that bracket and use a strong enough washer to hold it... That other two bolt should be good enough to hold the bracket and bumper together... Im sure most guy running around with just one bolt each side LOL
That how i bolt mine and been fine for two month and counting...

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 pm

phanist wrote:No!!!! If you dont want to drill your chassis frame to mount that jdm bracket... Just fine your self a pair of longer bolt and screw that fit thru that bracket and use a strong enough washer to hold it... That other two bolt should be good enough to hold the bracket and bumper together... Im sure most guy running around with just one bolt each side LOL
That how i bolt mine and been fine for two month and counting...

I think one bolt is too weak, the bumper is gonna dropping down later...

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 am

I say most guy use just two bolt... I do 4 bolt . 2 10m and 2 8m and hex cap screw and large washer instead of drilling the hole large and get my chassis fu''ed

By the way this is in the wrong section of forum

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:38 am

Just to close the loop on this, i finished drilling the existing holes larger, and it did take some time. 1) You need to first mount the bumper and brackets (mock-up) to identify which of the existing holes, if any, require enlarging. 2) I then took a sharpie to mark out the additional areas I needed to enlarge. 3) Using a cobalt drill bit (not the brand, but a particular type of drill bit for metals) I then proceeded to shave away the necessary areas using my trusty dewalt corded drill. NOTE: This is a slow process and you must move patiently and allow time for metal cool-down in between. 4) Once the necessary areas were shaved away, I then re-mocked the bumper and brackets and shaved a couple more spots. 5) I then used a dremel with a small sanding bit to clean up at loose/sharp edges 6) After I clean the entire area with compressed air, I then sprayed some rustoleum to prevent rust on the newly shaved areas.

Here's a pic of the completed holes on the right side:

I don't think this messes up the chassis one bit and am satisfied with the work and knowing that now the brackets will sit perfectly and tightly. Note: 3 of the 4 holes required a bit of shaving; only 1 hole require minimal. The bolts for the JDM bracket are: m12x1.25 30mm. I purchased class 10.9 for added strength.

Cheers!
-Aaron

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 am

aaronlee133 wrote:Just to close the loop on this, i finished drilling the existing holes larger, and it did take some time. 1) You need to first mount the bumper and brackets (mock-up) to identify which of the existing holes, if any, require enlarging. 2) I then took a sharpie to mark out the additional areas I needed to enlarge. 3) Using a cobalt drill bit (not the brand, but a particular type of drill bit for metals) I then proceeded to shave away the necessary areas using my trusty dewalt corded drill. NOTE: This is a slow process and you must move patiently and allow time for metal cool-down in between. 4) Once the necessary areas were shaved away, I then re-mocked the bumper and brackets and shaved a couple more spots. 5) I then used a dremel with a small sanding bit to clean up at loose/sharp edges 6) After I clean the entire area with compressed air, I then sprayed some rustoleum to prevent rust on the newly shaved areas.

I don't think this messes up the chassis one bit and am satisfied with the work and knowing that now the brackets will sit perfectly and tightly. Note: 3 of the 4 holes required a bit of shaving; only 1 hole require minimal. The bolts for the JDM bracket are: m12x1.25 30mm. I purchased class 10.9 for added strength.

Cheers!
-Aaron

+1

Always appreciated info such as these, thx brother!

Esenpai
Club4AG Expert

Postby Esenpai » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am

idreamofdrifting wrote:
aaronlee133 wrote:Just to close the loop on this, i finished drilling the existing holes larger, and it did take some time. 1) You need to first mount the bumper and brackets (mock-up) to identify which of the existing holes, if any, require enlarging. 2) I then took a sharpie to mark out the additional areas I needed to enlarge. 3) Using a cobalt drill bit (not the brand, but a particular type of drill bit for metals) I then proceeded to shave away the necessary areas using my trusty dewalt corded drill. NOTE: This is a slow process and you must move patiently and allow time for metal cool-down in between. 4) Once the necessary areas were shaved away, I then re-mocked the bumper and brackets and shaved a couple more spots. 5) I then used a dremel with a small sanding bit to clean up at loose/sharp edges 6) After I clean the entire area with compressed air, I then sprayed some rustoleum to prevent rust on the newly shaved areas.

Cheers!
-Aaron

+1

Always appreciated info such as these, thx brother!

I would have gotten a bash bar from one of the fellas on the forum that make them. more protection for for car and they make them to fit without any modification. (unless you have a f'd up frame or something. just my 2 cents. btu yeah totally wrong section for this. admids should have a way to move threads that are in the wrong section to the right one....dat'd be coo.