cxracing high rise headers - EBay

sekang0
Club4AG Expert

cxracing high rise headers - EBay

Postby sekang0 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 am

Hey all, any thoughts on these headers? If you're not familiar just search eBay for AE86 header and they'll pop up. Just wanted to see what ppl thought cuz I might just get TRD style OBX ones. Thx
'85 GT-S project since 2010

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: cxracing high rise headers - EBay

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm

They don't come with a downpipe to connect to your cat. You'll need to buy that separately from CX Racing. The header by itself has an o2 sensor bung for a standard 1 wire sensor and their downpipe also has a bung for the stock type o2 sensor. You'll need to extend the wire on the o2 sensor in either case. It's otherwise a direct boltup to a 4ag.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm

I found the header with the downpipe together. It looks pretty good, and the pipe sizes are what I need, I have an OBX 4-1 header, but the collector and downpipe is all 2"ID pipe. It looks like it's mounted on a LHD US car, maybe even with power steering. It fits around the steering column, and that's always been a problem with running a cool JDM header. That and melting the distributor cap lol.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm

I would stay away from those cheap ebay headers. You get what you pay for with those. Cheap quality headers normally will either have bad fitment, get super hot, crack, or not be made correctly. They normally have shitty welds and the collectors on the inside are very crappily built. I personally had an OBX 4-1 header on my stock largeport 4age. The fitment on it was awful and it touched the firewall down below the steering column opening. I swapped it out for a clean oem unit and gave it away to a friend. I would suggest sourcing a trd header whether its used or new. They will have proper fitment.

Another important issue is the location of the o2 sensor. You want the o2 sensor as close to the cylinder head as possible. This gives the ecu the best information on the correct air to fuel ratio. The further the o2 sensor is away, then the worse the reading it will give.

Vic

sekang0
Club4AG Expert

Postby sekang0 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Thx for the insight guys
'85 GT-S project since 2010

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 pm

looks good, If I still had a 4ag I would buy one just because it looks cool.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

The fitment is good with the CX Racing header. The construction quality is also good on the header, but the collectors aren't particularly good. On the one that I got, you can see that they hand ground the welds inside the collector to help smooth things out. If it wasn't so flashy, I would definitely run this header. As long as you don't heat wrap the primaries, I don't think you'll have problems with cracking. It would be a good idea to put some kind of heat shield or sock over the distributor, though and probably also ceramic coat the header.

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

Postby EddieNanakase » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm

I agree with Jeonsah, I bought an OBX header from ebay and the piece of crap not even fit on the car.
I paid around $300, it was specifically designed for the 20V AE86 conversion and it just didn't fit !
The header hit the firewall, preventing me from bolting it on the cylinder head. I emailed the seller on
ebay, replied twice and never heard from him again. I then emailed OBX, and they told me that I had
to contact the seller, OBX also stopped replying to my emails. And get this, my 20V header for the
AE86 conversion came with a LIFE TIME WARRANTY from defects !! I took the header to some friends
in a shop, while one guy heated the elbow bright orange with a oxy/acetylene torch, myself and two other friends
took a 70 something inch pry bar and started to pry on it until we bent it enough so that it would fit. Two
wrinkles formed in the elbow because of this. I bet you anything that if I use this piece of crap, it's not going to last very
long until it cracks. What else was I suppose to do with the header? It's better if I can at least install it and
not have it laying around collecting dust. I can't deceive someone else into buying this garbage. I'm not even
going to use it, maybe in a emergency as a spare part.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

dunno man, I had two obx headers and both fit flawlessly on my car and all of my friends with corollas are running them as well with absolutely no problems. Neither of mine came close to the firewall at all, bolted on to the engine with no leaks, and never cracked (no flex section in the exhaust at all). Cant beat the price for what you get (trd replica) for under 200 bucks. Whats the cheapest name brand 4ag header run these days, 4x that? unecessary for a run-of-the-mill stock 16v or 20v.

Everyone knows I'm the last person to suggest buying knockoff parts, but unless you are have a built motor or are building a motor, spending 1000+ on a header for a 90hp engine is pretty fucking stupid in my opinion.

Latino Hibino
Club4AG Regular

Postby Latino Hibino » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I bought an OBX header once. For the price, GREAT PRODUCT! Fit just fine, and never ever cracked.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

My OBX fit kinda ok on my 7A. I had to bang up the floor a little, but don't forget the 7A block is like a foot taller than a 4A block. When I switched to Cusco engine mounts it fits perfect. I would like to try out that big ol CX dude, I bet it would be better than my OBX.

torque88

Postby torque88 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Can't say I have ever heard anything great about the obx headers. The high rise headers that cxracing now offers look pretty promising, I would possibly consider
them in the future. I have pace setter's on my 3tc now, and am very happy with the quality/ease of install. If I'm not mistaken they (pace setter) offer a TRD copy for
the 4age. Don't see how anyone would consider dropping 300 bones on a header that doesn't even fit.... Did I mention pace setter's products are made in U.S.A?
Don't let their "Ferrari" logo fool you.

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I hate that there are no descent choices for headers for 86 under the $500 mark. I think I agree with longgrain about just getting whatever fits if your not going for performance. I ended up spending $1200 bucks getting descent headers for my build. It took me a month of searching before I realized there were seriously no good options. Good luck!

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 pm

LongGrain wrote:looks good, If I still had a 4ag I would buy one just because it looks cool.

agreed. i'd run them myself, but not trying to deal with getting refereed here in cali. so staying stock for meeee. loud style, stock-looking engine bay. :)

death_blossom
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby death_blossom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

for those who had an OBX header, you should also state whether or not you had Cusco engine mounts. I heard that OBX fits better with Cusco engine mounts, which are supposed to lower the engine by 10~15mm. it makes me to believe that OBX's development/test car had these engine mounts, so they just started mass producing these 4AGE headers thinking that the stock engine height was equivalent to the Cusco one. I've also heard that ppl with tired out engine mounts are ok too, engine sagging? :P

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Well I have an OBX 4-1 header on my 7A and it hit the floor. 7A block a like a foot taller than 4A cuz it's a 1.8L stroker. When I put Cusco mounts on, it fits perfect now. So I would reckon there shouldn't be much of an issue with stock mounts and a 4A block.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm

i had stock mounts and both my OBX header and the no name ebay copy one I had fit just fine.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 am

Cusco engine mounts + stock high comp + OBX's cheapest header

I bought the header because I had a cracked manifold and didn't want to go through the headache of bolting the OEM manifold braces back to the block.

One bolt of my (power) steering column universal joint rubbed one of the pipes when turned at a certain angle during the initial fit, but once all bolted up it cleared fine.

death_blossom
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby death_blossom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm

I just installed my OBX replica (a copy of a copy, how about that?) headers and the down pipe hits the floor. I'm a bluetop with Cusco engine mounts. there is a small chance that I don't have Cusco mounts, but either way the fitment for OBX (or in this case, the OBX replica) did not account for a stock engine height. I'm gonna have the downpipe heated and bent to clear. won't be expensive to do, and overall the header is really cheap for a good design.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

which "obx" copy did you get? the JSP copy or the TRD copy?

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

Postby EddieNanakase » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm assuming that it's fine for the 16v, or maybe they corrected the problem after so many complaints.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 pm

death_blossom wrote:I just installed my OBX replica (a copy of a copy, how about that?) headers and the down pipe hits the floor. I'm a bluetop with Cusco engine mounts. there is a small chance that I don't have Cusco mounts, but either way the fitment for OBX (or in this case, the OBX replica) did not account for a stock engine height. I'm gonna have the downpipe heated and bent to clear. won't be expensive to do, and overall the header is really cheap for a good design.

You talkin about that $100 joint off eBay?

RidgeRacer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RidgeRacer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:15 am

So has anyone here actually bought and installed this CXRacing unit yet?
'85 Anthracite GT-S

WTB AE86 parts: Grey passenger side speaker housing and grille.

Barry
Club4AG Regular

Postby Barry » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 am

Looks like a copy of John's (JSP www.jspfab.com/) Header from his 20v back in the day that he no longer produces.
-barry
Moderator - 9,500rpm club
1986 Corolla GT-S hatch, AE101, Toda 272, Haltech E8, etc (retired)
1992 Lexus SC400, LS2 Swap
2002 Audi A4 1.8t, GT2867R, 2Liter Stroked

cerumo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cerumo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:27 pm

have you try pace setter? its 4-2-1. it works great. i used to have 2 of the them and i just bought the 3rd one. first one crack cause i wrapped it. second sold when i swap to a new engine. i just bought another one and will install it soon. great power all around and dont lose low to mid power like 4-1 header. 2 things you have to do is its 2 pieces you need to weld them. the other is no spot for put on the heat shield. it has brackets but no where to bolt the heat shield onto it.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:52 am

RidgeRacer wrote:So has anyone here actually bought and installed this CXRacing unit yet?

Yes. What do you want to know about it?

rollacpe
Club4AG Regular

Postby rollacpe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm running OBX 20vST header for about a year now. Had to persuade the floor a little, but otherwise fits just fine nice and snug. Good power, good sound. For what I paid for it I'd say its worth the slight modifications. I could completely understand avoiding the brand if you are more financially stable than myself. Someday I'll have enough for the dope brands, someday...

skwid206
Club4AG Regular

Postby skwid206 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:32 pm

gotzoom? wrote:
RidgeRacer wrote:So has anyone here actually bought and installed this CXRacing unit yet?

Yes. What do you want to know about it?

I'm considering this header. Does the box say where it is made? (hopefully no China/Taiwan)

Do you consider it to be good quality?

Thanks!
JDM: Just Doesn't Matter

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:56 am

i can tell you right now it's made in china/taiwan and it is not good quality.

That being said, it fits and works like it should, and if I had a 4ag I'd probably buy one, because the next "better" option is upwards of $1000. So if you have $1500 to spend on a header for your hoopty, go for it. If you want a nice looking header that works just fine, get the cx racing thing.

My friend Mark is using one and he hasnt had any problems with it.

skwid206
Club4AG Regular

Postby skwid206 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks LongGrain.
JDM: Just Doesn't Matter