84 Rolla Hatch

LongIslandElite
Club4AG Regular

84 Rolla Hatch

Postby LongIslandElite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:47 pm

I found my hatch on Club4AG on 6/16/10 looking like this located in GA just north of Atlanta

I talked with the guy selling it for a while and ended up going to look at the car on 8/30/10 and this is what I see when i get there

The car seemed to be in great shape so I put a deposit down on it and went back to pick it up on 9/5/10 trailered it back to NC where my mom lives and I go to pull it off the trailer and WTF no lights work and I was going back to NY the day after so i had no time with the car but it was mine now so i was crazy happy about it

So I'm back in NY and I started buying parts to fix the car up based off of pics from the sale thread (zerothread?id=62436) First thing I bought for the car was a headlight switch. On 11/23/10 I go to a local tire shop that is behind a service station and I find an AE92 GT-S. I end up talkin with the owner, worked out a price and I brought it home on 11/27/10

I bought the AE92 to take the motor and put it into the AE86. I started buying all the parts for the swap. On 2/18/11 I pulled the motor out and on the stand within 24 hours. Then by 2/22/11 I had the fully taken down other then the crank and pistons.

Motor was clean but I'm servicing the head and replacing all the gaskets. Time gos on and I end up buyin alot more parts for the car. I end up having the car towed to NY and I receive it late at night on 4/1/11 the very next day I change the wheels and put a Grant GT wheel on the car.

By 4/3/11 I had the GT-S front bumper on

By 4/10/11 I had all the wiring worked out for the lights and I started sanding the bumper

I ended up painting the bumpers and hood black on 4/29/11

Painted the rest of the car with white primer on 5/14/11

From 5/26/11 thru 5/28/11 I did the manual rack conversion with the supra shaft and did the shocks/struts, springs, camber plates, front/rear strut bars and A/C delete.

Before

After

This how it sits as of 7/1/11

TD86
Club4AG Regular

Re: 84 Rolla Hatch

Postby TD86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Black bumpers, white body.. fav paint scheme! Looking forward to update on AE92 4AG swap.. I want to know process/whats needed and such lol

LongIslandElite
Club4AG Regular

Postby LongIslandElite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

Pulled 4AC

rebuilt the head cleaned motor

Found this tank in my car

so I picked up this GT-S tank

ran my own fuel line so I adapted the pump bracket

pulled my wiring and decided to simplifi everything myself. now my car is ready for just about any swap.

test fit motor

test fit wiring

pull motor back out. painted lower engine bay due to bare metal showing

also deleted IACV

then it was time to put it all together.

final product with white valve covers

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am

Nice work :)

I'm particularly impressed that you handled the wiring yourself (without a GTS donor harness?)

Any diagrams / tips on doing this? If I ever swap a 4AG into my SR5 I'll probably do it myself as well.

The engine bay looks great!

XSR

Postby XSR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I remember seeing that hatch for sale on here. Its turning out nice.

Hxckid213
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Hxckid213 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

nice. love the supra wheels look good in blk.

sekang0
Club4AG Expert

Postby sekang0 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Nice post! So glad the forum is back up for now.
'85 GT-S project since 2010

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Awesome work man. Its looking great so far.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

LongIslandElite
Club4AG Regular

Postby LongIslandElite » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 pm

yellowsnow4free wrote:Nice work :)

I'm particularly impressed that you handled the wiring yourself (without a GTS donor harness?)

Any diagrams / tips on doing this? If I ever swap a 4AG into my SR5 I'll probably do it myself as well.

The engine bay looks great!

Thanks! By far just doin a GTS wiring swap is easier. The wiring is what took the most time on the whole swap. I started off with an AE92 and then I made the wiring all stand alone for the engine, with fuses in line on wires and relays have whips out of the engine harness. Then I simplified the sr5 under dash harness and removed all plugs I wont use. I think I ended up with 8 wires that were needed to connect my SR5 under dash to my engine harness. Also modified the headlight harness to get my alt wires hidden and removed the OEM fuse box from under the hood. Ran 1 wire from circuit opening relay to fuel pump. Got all my diagrams from http://opc.mr2oc.com/#corolla. Best tip I could give is take your time and be 200% sure on things. I had even found mistakes in the OEM diagrams.

XSR wrote:I remember seeing that hatch for sale on here. Its turning out nice.

Thanks it has come a long way.

Hxckid213 wrote:nice. love the supra wheels look good in blk.

Thanks the wheels are powder coated black

sekang0 wrote:Nice post! So glad the forum is back up for now.

Thanks I couldn't believe it when the site went down then later found out all posts were lost, its too bad.

grappletech wrote:Awesome work man. Its looking great so far.

Thanks I think it will stay like this for a bit as I will be putting money into my coupe to get out on the drift track this year. I will put up a thread of that once I really start working on it. It's an 87 SR5 coupe that is GTS swapped. here is a teaser pic lol

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea, I have been getting ready for my first big swap! it has been a long time coming.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap