Quick disconnect for coolant hoses?! Would it work?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Quick disconnect for coolant hoses?! Would it work?

Postby Gabriel82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I have been thinking.. would quick disconnect hoses like the ones on an air hoses work for coolant hoses?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aeroquip- ... 64350.html

Thought? Or someone that has used them?

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Quick disconnect for coolant hoses?! Would it work?

Postby Gabriel82 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am

Bump..
anyone...
:/

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:40 pm

I think it would restrict flow. Plus really, how hard is it to pull a radiator hose? That would just be more of a form thing instead of function, I would think

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah it would need to be huge in order to restrict flow and probably very expensive.
If you could find one big enough that flowed well enough.

Based off my experience with air line quick connects they wouldn't last nearly as long as rad hose.

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Plus, I think it would just be another place to worry about leaking.

ae90tuner
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ae90tuner » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:16 pm

i think i would worry more about a leak then flow. its a troubling thought that comes to you when you see a cloud of coolant mist everywhere behind you at the track. and thats if you notice, most the times you only will notice after your temp gauge plunges into the red or your car stops running.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 pm

ae90tuner wrote:i think i would worry more about a leak then flow. its a troubling thought that comes to you when you see a cloud of coolant mist everywhere behind you at the track. and thats if you notice, most the times you only will notice after your temp gauge plunges into the red or your car stops running.

I wouldn't expect a failure like that from these couplers. They work extremely well and leaks only start to happen over time and progressively get worse and worse. I would say for a track build these would probably be at least as good as coolant lines.
Since a race car gets more regular inspections it's likely you would catch a small weeping leak long before it became dangerous. If they start weeping then you replace them. On a street car the same would apply but it would be very expensive replacing all your quick fittings every 10 years or whatever.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 am

You can get dry-break fittings for cooling systems, however they are hideously expensive. DTM teams used to use them in the 90's so they could swap engines in the 15 mins between sessions. No need to bleed oil or cooling systems as they were primed before-hand.

In saying that, they do leak over time like the air fittings and putting them in a road car would be purely for the wank factor.