Need help mating a rwd auto gear box to a 20v st in an AE86

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Need help mating a rwd auto gear box to a 20v st in an AE86

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:38 am

hi guys, due for a high chance that i cant get a t50 in time for my build, am thinking of a plan B just in case.
got an sr5 A42DL rwd auto gearbox that i want to know how to mate it to 20v st engine. what parts do i need and what should i do, 20v parts here are rare so if anything from a 7a fwd auto engine will do. please point me in the right direction.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Re: Need help mating a rwd auto gear box to a 20v st in an A

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 am

In all honesty, im not sure exactly if/how this would work...but the transmission I believe will bolt up to the block. For the flexplate you will have to find either a 20v auto or some other kind of 8 bolt flex plate that will work, if you can find an auto ae92 or mr2, it will work, but I dont know if they make them like that lol. The 7a and most others are all 6 bolt...You probably also need the ECU from an auto 20v as well.

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 am

rumsawatti wrote:In all honesty, im not sure exactly if/how this would work...but the transmission I believe will bolt up to the block. For the flexplate you will have to find either a 20v auto or some other kind of 8 bolt flex plate that will work, if you can find an auto ae92 or mr2, it will work, but I dont know if they make them like that lol. The 7a and most others are all 6 bolt...You probably also need the ECU from an auto 20v as well.

pretty lame option and a waste to the 20v potential in an AE86 i know but what choice do i have :(
the problem is any 4age powered toyota is very rare here in the gcc region not to mention an auto, ae92 you still mean 4age powered right ? or just a regular 4afe ? so if i sourced a flexplate i will need its torque converter too that bolts right to the its companion flexplate but what about the sr5 input shaft splines that goes into the converter?
oh man back to 20v ecu ?? i got myself a halltech e8 just to avoid the firewall cutting/bashing and/or dizy relocation kit with the use of CoP or ls1coils. but e8 might have something for auto gearbox control am not sure.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Im not too sure about the ecu stuff either...
Dont quote me on this, but I believe the sr5 torque converter and input shaft should work fine. All you need is the 20v flexplate or some other kind of 8 bolt flexplate. The 4afe is a 6 bolt.
In any case, id try with all might to source out a t50, even if it means paying a little extra or driving a little farther. Its not that bad or impossible what you are trying to do, but its not going to be easy either since its not something you can find a lot of info on and 20v parts are not cheap...the 20v swap by itself is kind of like hell, you seem to be taking it a step further for little benefit lol

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I also thought I would/should mention I dont know about a 20v, but I had an auto 4ac with the same transmission you are considering putting on the 20v, and I hated that thing. So heavy and power robbing, when I swapped it out for the manual, it was literally night and day difference, the car felt so much lighter, responsive, and faster, I cant describe the difference in enough words, it felt like an entirely different car. In my opinion, if I were you, I would try my absolute hardest to get a t50. Just my added 2c.

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:13 am

i see, well i have to find a cheap flexplate and see where it goes from there.
not little benefit :p when i just want to run the car for the first time in 7 years :D anything goes for desperation.
i know what you mean, am trying to be original as much as possible with my build, if this doesn't work then i guess adapting w58 or r154 to the 20v will be my plan c. if not i guess am back rebuilding the 4ac auto again and change my AE86 trim to SE instead of GT-apex and that will be lame....
thanks for the input buddy i appreciate it.