AE86 Cusco 6 Pt with Carbon Fiber Doors

Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

AE86 Cusco 6 Pt with Carbon Fiber Doors

Postby Crono0001 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm

I know CF doors make your car a deathtrap if you don't have a cage. The cusco 6pt cage doesn't really provide much lateral impact, but it still allows the use of rear seats, which is a must.

Would you use CF doors with cusco's 6 pt cage despite it not having good side impact? or should i get a more sturdy cage?

frankist
Club4AG Regular

Re: AE86 Cusco 6 Pt with Carbon Fiber Doors

Postby frankist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

To be honest, the ae's stock doors wouldn't be much safer than the carbon fiber doors if you were t-boned. The metal isn't too thick and doesn't have a real support behind the door skin. If you're taking passengers, a newer car would be much safer/practical. Personal opinion though. I've seen countless ae's get hit, and it doesn't take much to total one.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:15 am

^The North American market ae86 does have reinforcement inside the door skins for a side impact, but it's still a 30 year old safety feature...

Crono0001 wrote:I know CF doors make your car a deathtrap if you don't have a cage. The cusco 6pt cage doesn't really provide much lateral impact, but it still allows the use of rear seats, which is a must.

Would you use CF doors with cusco's 6 pt cage despite it not having good side impact? or should i get a more sturdy cage?

I probably sound like a broken record but hear goes. AE86's are death traps unfortunately. Considering a street car, you would be better off without either mod because both will make the car less safe on public roads. However, if I had to choose between cf doors and cage based on which was safer I'd go with the doors every time.

A cage is a bad idea on the street since nobody wears a helmet. The human body stretches a lot in an accident, among other variables, and smacking your skull on a metal bar can easily kill you. I wouldn't even consider allowing back seat passengers. Even a front seat passenger can be problematic, consider liability if you get in an accident.

For a track car I'd go with a better cage that's welded in with proper door bars, but the cusco unit - with door bar add-ons - is probably better than no side reinforcement.

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sportmax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 am

^^^^ what he said. Thats why I only run the rear section of the cage in my race race with No back seat. If I start doing more big track days ill put the whole cage in and pad it. but even with pading, with out a helmet a cage and cause major head damage.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:24 am

Most bolt in cages are worse than not having one at all, and if you want to run a cage then don't bother with rear seats. To do it even remotely safely you would have to use fixed back seats and proper harnesses with proper padding on the cage, but even that is far from ideal without helmets. Carbon tends to shatter with heavy impacts, at least the metal doors bend and absorb some of the impact.

Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crono0001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:48 am

It's pretty obvious I'm getting the doors purely for aesthetic value, as it blends in with the hatch, fenders, and hood nicely. However, since there is no street-friendly way of doing it, I may have to pass this opportunity.
My car is a full interior daily, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Yosuke
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Yosuke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 am

Crono0001 wrote:I know CF doors make your car a deathtrap if you don't have a cage. The cusco 6pt cage doesn't really provide much lateral impact, but it still allows the use of rear seats, which is a must.

Cusco rollcages are not designed to withstand any impact crashes, typically misunderstood for "safety" on the street. The reason why people like to use these cages on their street cars is because 1.) influence from the super crazy japanese dorifuto guys 2.) it significantly stiffens up the chassis and 3.) marketing hype. Not saying at all that they are fake and for show only, because these cages have been proven and legal for use with many FIA sanctioned events in Japan and Asia. Despite all the criticism of the ethugs concerning the credibility of the Cusco rollcage, typically the topic of the A-pillar bends being unsafe, these rollcages are designed by actual chassis engineers who are veterans at a sport where vehicle roll-over is the most rampant - Rally.

Cusco rollcages or any rollcages for that matter are for track only and are primarily designed to keep the cabin in tact during a vehicle roll-over. One more critical note is that with any rollcage, accompanying safety equipment such as a helmet, racing seats, racing harness, and FIA/SFI rollcage padding is an absolute must.
http://blog.cuscousainc.com/?p=294
MKIV Supra Turbo
AE86 Levin ITB
Yamaha V8
http://www.ae86fc.com