Sore subject. Replica wheels. Killer opportunity.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
DannyGeorge

Sore subject. Replica wheels. Killer opportunity.

Postby DannyGeorge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am

Hey guys, this is my first post as I'm a Miata owner/drifter. We are working on a sponsorship from a replica wheel company for FD. They want to change up the current knockoff lineup and bring some new stuff to the marketplace. I want to upgrade the current needs and bring more for the real enthusiasts. I would live to start some dialog with you guys to see what needs changing and where is the market lacking.

Things we have gathered so far from the miata community is
* no more fake rivets/bolts
* bring 14" sizings back
* single bolt patterns
* wider then 8"
* bring some lighter wheels in the 9-11lb range
* bring back some cool oldschool designs that are no longer made

Help me help you. We have an amazing opportunity with a company that wants to upgrade the replica market.

New designs, if people are out there with a design they came up with. If it's a hit we can get made. What other oldschool stuff/designs like to bring back?

Thanks guys,
Danny George

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Re: Sore subject. Replica wheels. Killer opportunity.

Postby 4agshoob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:06 pm

sup danny? glad to see you grace these pages. might remember me, you interacted with my son at FD atl this year (mohawk, jacking up the trailer, etc.)

anyway, i think this is a gnarley opportunity to this community, and the miata community as well (lets face it, the miata and ae86 might as well be twins with the exception of IDRS, convertable, 4x100 and rear sump design.) as far as "fake bolts" is the manufacturer your representing going to be making 3-piece wheels, 2 piece, 1 piece with modular actual bolts that can be removed for painting, etc?

how about the likes of:

SSR Star sharks.

sure, HD wheels offers this style, but only in weak 13x7 and 15x8. both 0 offset, with the 15's being strait f-ugly. if HD wheels would step up the game, and offer a step lip, some 14's, and maybe a couple wider sizes,/varying offsets, it'd be a hit. not to mention, good luck finding someone that sells them, for a decent price. i had a set of the 13x7's at one time, good looking wheel, and really light. but it was just lacking in the aggressiveness department.

SSR longchamps. (standard and XR4)

i know that most of the ae86 community as well as the miata community can feel me here. although real sets can still be found sub $700, usually theyre weak 15x6 ursumshit like that. it be nice to see these make a decent comeback, even as a replica. of course in some useful sizes like 14x9, 13x8, 15x10, etc.

DORI DORI's

another one, i think the community can feel me on. with price tags for a good size/offset/condition set upwards of $2k, these wheels look really good on the ae86/miata as well as several other old school cars as well, just like the others i have posted.

SSR MK1'S

because companies like american racing, summit racing, and centerline dont offer anything in a 4x100 or 4x114 in anything wider than a jj7. and besides, the mk1's just look better. but yeah in a sense, any solid face wheel combination in anything ranging from 13,14,15, in widths, 8,9,10, etc. with our lug patterns. sure centerline can make you some in 4x114 or 4x100, but at near $400 a wheel?

DannyGeorge

Postby DannyGeorge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 pm

I totally remember you guys!!!

Exactly what I'm looking for here. I can't immediately get all of them made but proper designs and such that will be bangers right out of the gate 1 at a time is the need. Once they see it working and selling I should be able to have some more push. This is very early stages(proving to them I have the general appeal of which are needing to be brought back) I personally think everything in general is going back to nostalgic and simple.

There is a ton of wheels that they hsve molds for already that noone orders yet. I'm waiting on that brochure to see what quik n easy options we got at the fingertips.

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 pm

molds as in ready to cast?

still un clear as to the construction, 3 piece etc. lemme know what they are currently carrying. i know that atara racing out of malaysia is now making a 14x9 -13 riverside riverge knock off, thats tits, but still hefty on the wallet at $1k, not including shipping. keep us updated man, im interested.

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 pm

side note: whats the miata community wanting? im interested in this, because 4x100 wheels will also fit my 93 corolla wagon....i swap wheels back and forth with miata friends all the time with the wagon. id love to see a decent old school rep set in a decent offset..... something other than equip 01's, and hayashi street knock offs.

John H.
Club4AG Expert

Postby John H. » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey Danny George,
I love the idea of bringing back old school wheels that are no longer in production.
The design of the wheel wouldn't really matter to me, but more the sizes.
IMO almost all decent knockoffs for both our communities come in shizy sizes.
14x9s, and 14x8s would appeal to me personally.
But if I were to choose a design I would have to say SSR reverse mesh, or SSR longchamps. :D
If this really gets under way though, I just hope there will be sizes in 14.
Hope this happens, and good luck!

-John
Last edited by John H. on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 am

What company would be making them? Make a wheel like the first picture in 14" or 15" x at least 8" wide and I would be very interested.

cedu
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cedu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:07 pm

How about Fiat Cromodoras?

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 am

87Coupe_de_Ville
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby 87Coupe_de_Ville » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 am

Danny what's up its Luis. Me you Robert and Jordan all had kbbq after Sean's mixer. Hey msg me on FB when you see this.
1st place at Toyotafest 2012 and 2nd place at JCCS 2012.

GZfatchiX

Postby GZfatchiX » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm

What ever became of this opportunity?

rix86
Club4AG Regular

Postby rix86 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 am

Bigger and wider supras.
HELLSYA!!
Yes, I'm THAT guy

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 pm

+1 upvote for Longchamps and Starsharks. Theyre so hard to come by, and with wheels that hard to find, i dont like using them at the track. Im all for using replicas as beater wheels to match my real ones up front!
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust