VQ'ed AE86...nuff said

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

VQ'ed AE86...nuff said

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:37 am

(copy and repasted from a while ago) Hey all names DeVaughn, sum call me devo, black lavender,etc. just wanted to post up alil bit of my build process, on 1/30/2011 I made the move to pull my 4AG motor set and sell off everything in favor of a newer more reliable power plant. Now the focus of this swap was not to make a power house or be the fastest, just to have a reliable motor that fit into the car well. SR20 was a thought but there getting very old and need rebuilding plus the hassle of blowing turbos. 1uz for cheap was another choice but the motor again is getting old and needs simple work but it takes alot to shoe horn it in the car plus the radiator usually ends up somewhere near the front of the car in harms way, the motor is heavier at 390lbs with trans, where the Vq is only about at 313 with tranny, and the 4ag comes in right around 276lbs with tranny, sr was about 328lbs. These are weights pulled off the internet so they arent prob perfect but close enough. Anyway to make a long story short I grabbed the VQ with low miles used, price, avalibilty, fit, great weight and 6speed tranny option. Soooo there she is, stripped old motor, sold to a new and happy owner and new motor delivered and waiting for install.
motor cam from illinois, shes a dirty bird on the outside, needs a pressure washing and scrub down. cant beat it for 900bucks!with harness and accessories.
got a 6 speed tranny local for 400bucks, new unused warrenty unit he had, there not in top demand so he let it go cheap.
mated it up and did a dry fit into the car, not too bad, this is as far as is got till the tranny got wedged in the tunnel lol, alot easier to fit after the firewall and tunnel mod for the tranny.
during the fitting process the fuel rail was very close to hitting the firewall so plus its a non return unit so i modded the rail for better fit and function.
welded some -6AN fittings to the rail and powder coated the rails satin black, you can barely see the new fuel cross over on the front of the rail system now.
powder coated the lower intake,water pipes and started to mod the shifter location to make it shorter.
still need to weld this up
took out the 3in" center section and welded it back together.Image
picked up a Craword intake cheap, its a good mod for the motor and with a intake spacer it would raise the intake up too much and hit the strutbar.
cleaned up the motor and replaced the old rusty valve cover bolts with stainless units, headers, lightweight flywheel, new clutch and added a oil cooler sandwich plate, Samco hoses and tuneup supplies. Going to work on it pretty hard today and mod the front cross member and steering rack postioning for a lower install.

Stoked to get it back to doing more of this, :sn:

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Re: VQ'ed AE86...nuff said

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:40 am

Well so far made a stay for the alternator, got some heims and stainless nutz to weld.
welded it...
cleaned it. powder coated it, and installed
(this has ben revised with a better made part ill post pics later)
Got my silicone hose kit
Also got my OBX thermal intake gasket for the lower plenum

SEMI big update! I got to actually give her sometime this past weekend, dropped the front crossmember, got the shifter bracket welded up and removed the old engine mounts. While I had the crossmember out and the suspension is apart I'm going to remake new LCAs and make a jig so I can start producing them. Moved the rack forward also and removed about a pound of 20yo grease :cj: .
ground it smoothed it and hit it with some sprayon bedliner stuffs.
Image dirty and freshly plasma cut.
Wire brushed and welded for reinforcement
this is where the rack originally sat
this is where it sits now
all done and ready to reinstall and fit the motor for mounts this weekend. Welded and filled the gaps in on the crossmember but it doest show well in the pic.
Also got custom brake lines made to now mount too the subframe and down the rails, not on the fire wall.

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 am

Well today I wanted to fit the motor in and get it close to bolting up this weekend. I got to work early and pulled the dash the seats carpet cut the tunnel out, it really wasnt much material to cut really just need to make the hole taller not longer. Wedged the motor into place and noticed a couple new things I needed to mod up.
first blood has been spilled!! :twisted:
from this
too this
motor in and needs to go down some more
plans made for subframe spacing and notching to drop the block more
notched
cut some DOM tubing for the spacers and welded them up
reinstalled and motor fits great!
intake fitment! it actually sits alil lower and back about 3/4 an inch now ill get pics of that after shes hanging on her own weight :h
Mounts hopefully tomorrow and pull it for final welding and filling.
I didnt get started today till about 6 oclock, that really killed my momentum, it was a beautiful day here too. I also took the time to move the motor back another 3/5 of an inch which made a a cleaner fit. Cut the flanges off the exhaust cause they were hitting the firewall butis a easy fix, have to mod the drivers side header for steering clearence also.
Had to "dimple" the firewall for rear water pipe and sensor clearance.
Then I stared plasma cutting out the mounts and getting them ready to tack in place.
Move on to a couple hours later the rest of the pieces are cut dimpled and welded into place, thanks to Cody and Jordan for the help welding this thing up.
Tomorrow will hopefully be the trans mount if I can get the materials together. Now to sandblast and powdercoat it.

Worked on it it alil more and....
boooom money shot!

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 am

Finally got everything together to make my tranny mount. Thanks to Touge Factory and there hellafast shipping, I got my S13 tranny mount in 2days!
drilled the tapped factory holes and to use the nicer heavier grade bolts that came with the kit and bolted it up, crazy that its a perfect fit after so long. Started making the bolt cups for my new tranny crossmember.
Simple DOM piping cut and a thickass washer welded to it.
Heres the look of it before ground smooth and the mount its self added.
Shitty cell pic but eveythings comming off once again for professional powdercoating.ordering the Drive shaft Monday morning and should have it by friday, DSS has awesome customer service. Tomorrow is finish cleaning up the floor from the old sound deading pull the motor and start the new tunnel.

Finished making the new tunnel cap today, pulled the motor and cleaned the floorpans for welding and recoating soon.

Going to finalize the crossmembers and send them off for professional powdercoating while everythings is getting remade and cleaned.
I got a good amount of work done today, tunnel is welded in, firewall is sectioned in and holes welded for a smooth look, swtichwelded alil here and there along the way.
Then ground down the welds and primed and seam sealed the inside panels
the shiney section in the middle is for the trannys "backbone" to clear, added more shape too it also.

Finished smoothing the firewall and got it in primer today, ground the edges down on the tunnel and ruffed the tunnel into the floor.
Replacing the old "fero" catches with new carbon covered Aerocatches, the old ones will be up for sale soon.

Since most of the hard work is done and Im so close to the floor Ive been repairing some of the rust the car has. None of it is terrible but needed attention, started on the easier side and got the passenger side almost completed tonight.
Old busted, rusted frame to floor brace.
lil abrasion from the wire wheel and some rust converter and weld thru primer

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:52 am

Been doing some fund raising and getting things together to finish the car. Traded my old daily truck for a s13 coupe promptly sold it too my friend Chris Nihezzy and got to finishing up and ordering some parts and my harness redo. Got to finalize my welding up the rust holes and new panels and finished that all up in a Hippo brand bedliner material. Looks good and blends it all together well, still alot more work to go, also bought my paint for the engine bay. Its the 2011 Scion TC "cement" color itll make the bay look more industrial and will be easy to touch up than the black. Traded some work also and got a -20 AN fittings for my radiator and coolant elbow and had them welded this weekend. Not much longer to go till it starts, cant wait to hear it run and feel the power it delivers.

Small update, been working on stuff for others to keep this thing moving in the right direction.
had alil time and added gussets to the tranny crossmemeber

dropped the crossmembers off at J&J powdercoating yesterday, the older couple there couldnt be nicer to me and there work is topnotch, to bad Im going black wrinkle, wont showcase there quality of prep. Got the right sized belt for running only an alternator and installed it, a 6 rib Vbelt at 32inchs fits perfect.
swapped my plug for one of the fittings on the oil sandwich plate so i could clock the hoes for the oil cooler down.
waiting on my new spacers for the hiem tocomein and then its time to fab up the new LCAs. got my new -20 ends welded onto my water neck and radiator now too!
went from this
to this with alil filler and prime, painting it tomorrow.

Got my crossmembers back, got them done in black wrinkle and they look really great J&J powdercoating did a awesome job!
Also installed my 6 puck clutch and got the tranny back one with all the new bolts, need to order starter bolts soon. Pics on the clutch installed didnt go through but here the flywheel lol.
I modded the front coresupport for ease of motor install and painted the enigne bay.
Image fire wall looks alot better than factory.

motor is back in hooking up all the hoses and trying to get the fuel system right. So got a new clutch master, it was the wrong one but i decided to keep it cause it fits the firewall mount but was too short to reach the pedal. I made an extender for it and it works great, best part of it is its aluminum and is much lighter.

update! rotated the vac. nipple on the booster for a cleaner install, cleaned up well and looks good repainted. cheack that valve cover too booster fitment!! :cj:
cut the fire wall up for the upper intake fitment, going to make a nice bolt on filler panel to close the gap.
ran a new brake line for the slave, so much cleaner just need to tie it down now.

5/26/11
Finished modding the cowl and getting ready for a bolt in filler panel.
had to drill holes for access to the top of the shifter.
stainless hex bolts for the headlights, got the Dresupbolts.com kit for the fenders so trying to match it up.

almost the last piece to the puzzle is here and fits great.
Did not like the gap where I notched the firewall so I made this bosstown fillerpanel.
harness comes back from Zfever soon and should make my deadline of June 5th.
radiator in for good now, made new aluminum brackets to hold it down, and have alil friend to keep the motor company :b:

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 am

june 2011
Driveshaft is bolted up! sounds easy but DDS couldnt replicate the toyota GTS flange so they used one that has a four bolt pattern and perfect center section that fits like stock. Took off the flange and mated it up, marked and drilled the holes and they were just close enough not to cut right outside the flange but didnt feel safe with it so close. cleaned up and match weighted some thick washers.
you can see how close the holes are to the edge now.
bolted the washers down and welded them into place for extra support
Finished the accelerator pedal mount,
welds and dimples
Didnt make my deadline for Driftwater....f*@k it Hyperfest is right around the corner so In the mad dash for Driftwater I got alot of things taken care of.
The moving forward of the rack gave me more angle cause the racks not over centering
Old picture
tonight, has a tad more with stress on the wheel, pulls past my notch now
harness installed, going to clean it up later but not bad for now, installed the MAF and intake Image
right side header shortened and rewelded
remounted the oilcooler alil lower in the bumper opening
installed anohter 90degree on the lower rad hose so it clears the alternator pulley.
Imagehttps://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=CJ5GTV64KHGPW
headers done
had to make a million pies too make this pipe fit right
wrapped and installed on the car now, wrap didnt turnout hte best but its fine and tight.
Ill take pics of the rest of the completed exhaust when finished.
got the exhaust done last night going to reinstall it before work and hopefully have it on the ground once again.
gotta clean up the interior and wiring and get the new gauge installed, ecu is back at Zfever for diag. and hope to have it back by thursday.
The Hyperfest or bust trip was a failfest from start to finish, cars ecu is still causingproblems so now i have 2 nice paper weights. Doug at Zfever has gone over and beyond working with me and helping me out with this build, and has the best customer service. Will stik with him and his crew for more builds.
Made my extension/ relocarot for the ebrake, going hydro and prob secondary rear calipers, but this works good for now.
I like welding aluminum, def. grabbing a TIG asap!
heres the semi finished dash setup for now
heres the finished product that did run alil but not good enough to drift.
going to redo the harness for a cleaner look, and drop in some more AN lines for the heating system, those lines and fittings are on the way.
Took off the steel waterpipes and welded all the holes i had capped, cut off the outlets for the rubber hoses and welded on -12AN bungs for a very functional non leak system.

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

DYNO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFdlfUupMwo

lots of detailing and drifting and driving has been done since the builds initial "finish"
DRIFT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpZq4zvMr8

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 am

painted dash
Custom LCAs made for S13.4 suspension conversion, these are available for sale, made to order.

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Sun May 05, 2013 12:45 pm

wow that is a crazy build!
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

SlideSexy
Club4AG Expert

Postby SlideSexy » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Wow and I thought SR20's were crazy. This isnice!

Not sure if you posted, I may have skimmed it if so, but what is your Wheel/Tire sizing setup?
ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST
TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 am

15x8 0 195 45 15 front 15x9.5 -16 195 50 15 rear, for now might sell soon

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 am

terolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby terolla » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:31 pm

all this thing needs is an irs swap

Tryangle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tryangle » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

no sir, Weir built rear for me

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 am

This is gonna be so sick when it is finished. Great build!
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Keisuke

Postby Keisuke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm

This is way cool! What are you doing about NATS?

Gen4SW20
Club4AG Regular

Postby Gen4SW20 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Love this car, driving it is crazy. It's really, really weird driving an AE86 with a usable power band...let alone a huge gob of torque.

teun
Club4AG Regular

Postby teun » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 am

Love the sound in the distance, It seems to fit the AE somehow. Great build!
--=...Lowest BHP title owner...=--