Bigport to Small Port Compatibility

willanton

Bigport to Small Port Compatibility

Postby willanton » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 am

Hello All.

First post on here. I have a 1980 ke38 corolla (the sexy wagon version) is a nice baby poo yellow. Mmmmmmmm
Currently in the process of chucking in a red top that was originally fwd. Now, what I would like to know is whether or not bits and pieces from a big port will be compatible. I'm looking to source a new starter motor, injectors and dizzy. Seems like the big port stuff is more readily available.

Cheers

EDIT: Not looking to source the parts on here. I have them lined up already. Just need some advice as to whether or not they'll fit.

8Ton
Club4AG Regular

Re: Bigport to Small Port Compatibility

Postby 8Ton » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Welcome! Those wagons are totally RAD!!! It should be a blast with a 4ag!

when you say "red top" are you SURE you mean smallport? BP and SP both came with red lettering. There should be NO TVIS logo on your intake and a oil drain from the back of the head to the block.
Starter should be ok, I think that there are several different ones but they all work. Watch out for header clearance. Injectors on the SP move more fuel, and some BP ones were low impedance and others are high impedance. Distributor has different plugs, and possibly different guts. You could use a BP one but will need to match the plugs and make it all OK with your ECU.

willanton

Postby willanton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:39 pm

This is it here. 16V. I'm actually not home for a week or so to check the oil drain.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree with the type of engine I've got please let me know. Would be equal parts embarrassing and funny if I had a different engine than I though I did.

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae82hybrid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm

BP distributor will fit and work, the starter will work, BP injectors will work as long as your using the SP fuel fail because the spacing of the rails are different.

willanton

Postby willanton » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks heaps for that guys.

By next weekend it'll be just the loom, ecu and fuel setup to go.

willanton

Postby willanton » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 pm

So, I went and got a starter motor from a JDM wrecking place (big port FWD 4age written on it). Contrary to the advice form multiple sources, it didn't fit? I'm sure I've read that any 4ag starter will do for a T50 box. As you can see, one of the arms on the starter motor is elongated and will not match up with the evenly spaced bolt holes on the gearbox. The top bolt hole lines up just fine.

Any advice ladies and gents?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Some 4AGEs have intake side starters that are different. I thought FWD and RWD exhaust side starters were all interchangable. I have a t50 bellhousing here though and I could swear it had a much more asymmetrical bolt pattern than your pic shows.