Speedometer not working.

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Speedometer not working.

Postby miswuevos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Has anybody before had the issue of the speedometer not working?
-Mines will go up to 20mph but then die down...
Any thoughts on the probem?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Re: Speedometer not working.

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 pm

My odometer did the same thing a year ago. I had an extra speedometer cable & i replaced it. Worked fine since then..
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

ariel_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ariel_86 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm

There's a chance the speedometer drive gear could be going bad. You can replace the plastic gear and sleeve without dropping the transmission.
P/N 33404-16010 - Speedo-sleeve sub-assembly ~$28 from Toyota
P/N 33403-19135 - Speedo-Driving gear sub-aseembly ~$33 from Toyota **Note: 19-tooth plastic gear for GTS

Special thanks to Red or OldSkewlToy for the P/N's on the old forum. One of them had a walkthrough that included the P/N for the metal gear inside the transmission that drives the speedometer gear and how to replace it.
1985 Toyota Corolla Sport GTS - Ariel - 105.5 whp 93.8 ft-lbs of torque
2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 6MT - mmm, taco!
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 5MT - 2slow

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote:My odometer did the same thing a year ago. I had an extra speedometer cable & i replaced it. Worked fine since then..

where'd you find an extra speedo cable from? can you buy them for a decent price? i was wondering the same thing as the OP, i changed out the gear in the trans to the gts one, and mine still reads incorrectly
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

daveskatesallday wrote:
KonaTrueno723 wrote:My odometer did the same thing a year ago. I had an extra speedometer cable & i replaced it. Worked fine since then..

where'd you find an extra speedo cable from? can you buy them for a decent price? i was wondering the same thing as the OP, i changed out the gear in the trans to the gts one, and mine still reads incorrectly

It was an extra one i kept around from my other GTS. If you could find a good used one,might find it here in the forum classifieds from someones part out 86..or check craigslist & such..i think there's one on eBay right now for $45 bucks

I don't think these are genuinely made & sold by Toyota anymore
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 pm

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:

It was an extra one i kept around from my other GTS. If you could find a good used one,might find it here in the forum classifieds from someones part out 86..or check craigslist & such..i think there's one on eBay right now for $45 bucks

mYBE JUNKYARD?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:

thanks i'll look into it when the time comes!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm

80's Hatchi has a GTS speedo cable fs for $45 here in the classifieds..check it out!

Just tryin to help out!
87 GTS Coupe