To Sell or not To Sell?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

To Sell or not To Sell?

Postby Iceman404 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 pm

and just like that, i have a conundrum.

so after all the time and effort it took to get my coupe down to Houston, I just randomly got a job in the SF Bay area. This raises a lot of questions for me, though. First off, is it worth shipping an east coast car to the rust free west coast? the chassis is solid but it's not pretty by any means. it's also not in amazing shape, but everything is fixable. it'll still take work to get it all nice nice, including replacing panels with nice, new, shiny, lightweight fiberglass, including quarters, which was the plan (and yes i was excited). but still...

also, i've heard space is extremely limited and it's almost impossible to get a sizable garage that you'd need for working on a vehicle like this (pulling axels? uhhhhh....), and you cali guys have this fun thing called SMOG that i'd have to deal with. it's running well, and i just put a new 50 state cat on it for the occasion, but i'm still skeptical.

i know you guys know the kind of emotional attachment we get for these cars, and this thing has been my baby for a long time, so you know where i'm coming from. so the question is...what the hell do i do???

thanks guys,

-Ice
Little Blue Coupe

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Re: To Sell or not To Sell?

Postby HingaSPL » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:48 am

If it were "your baby", you wouldn't be asking this question

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:20 am

^^This.

Actually you don't need a garage to pull axles. I changed my diff parked on the street. :mrgreen:
FLAWLESS VICTORY

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 pm

HingaSPL wrote:If it were "your baby", you wouldn't be asking this question

+1

-zenki- wrote:^^This.

Actually you don't need a garage to pull axles. I changed my diff parked on the street. :mrgreen:

+1

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 pm

HingaSPL wrote:If it were "your baby", you wouldn't be asking this question

haha, touche :P very true. The thought of selling this thing (again! ugh.) is killing me.

-zenki- wrote:Actually you don't need a garage to pull axles. I changed my diff parked on the street. :mrgreen:

also very true. i've done both axels, the pumpkin, and the transmission (twice!) in a parking lot. the problem is i have three vehicles now (truck, AE, and a dirt bike) so the garage becomes required.

suddenly i feel like i'm thinking out loud, on the internet :shock:
Little Blue Coupe

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Well, you could sell it, buy a new BRZ, pay the bank instead of the garage landlord. Make a clean break.

But then again, getting anything restored or replaced on an old car should be easier in Cali. Assuming they'll let your "ain't legal in this state" car come in, which they might if it is over 25 years old? Or not?
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

SolidSTI
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SolidSTI » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 pm

We need pictures of the car in question. :D
ImageImageImageImage
1985 Corolla GT-S | 1985 Trueno Sprinter | 1989 Skyline GT-R | 2001 Prelude | 2005 STi | 2008 Forester XT| 1991 M923A1
http://TruFactsRacing.com

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Little Blue Coupe

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Red! thanks for the reply man, it's been awhile! that's part of my conundrum. I can find a much cleaner corolla in california to start as a base car if i sell this one and make the space. If i want to keep this one i know i'm going to get pedantic enough to want to put it on a rotisserie or something to that effect. if i'm going to go that far, why not spread the love and sell it to someone that loves corollas as much as i did before i got this one, you know?

if you haven't figured out, i decided to sell. breaks my heart, but it's time.
Little Blue Coupe

kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Postby kulitko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Iceman404 wrote:Red! thanks for the reply man, it's been awhile! that's part of my conundrum. I can find a much cleaner corolla in california to start as a base car if i sell this one and make the space. If i want to keep this one i know i'm going to get pedantic enough to want to put it on a rotisserie or something to that effect. if i'm going to go that far, why not spread the love and sell it to someone that loves corollas as much as i did before i got this one, you know?

if you haven't figured out, i decided to sell. breaks my heart, but it's time.

Its been awhile Iceman.... Nice to see your still here after all these years. But yea, if I were you, I would sell it. You can find a rust free corolla here easily and about roughly the same price your selling plus shipping. Good luck on your move and new job. Hope you have fun in the rainbow city =)

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I know what you mean. I'm catching up on the deferred (ok, ignored) maintenance list as the weather cools. But when all is said and done, some of the dings and dents weren't repainted properly over the years and despite 25+ years in a garage, some of the clearcoat is burned now. I don't know whether to put on darker glasses or do a repaint. Can't and won't do a frame-off, have my reservations about the (kaching!) investment of anything less. Meanwhile, I'm going down the punchlist and saving that question for last.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 pm

No offense intended, but they are really going for 4k in that condition stateside???

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 pm

none taken! and honestly, yeah. i'm not expecting that much, however,hence obo. if you don't live in california or somewhere else you can get a clean car you'd be surprised what people will pay.
Little Blue Coupe

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 pm

also, red, i wish i could have bought mine off a lot like you. unfortunately, i was 2 when this particular car was delivered :P
Little Blue Coupe

Moto-P
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto-P » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:37 am

NOT...to sell. Keep it!!!
Moto Miwa
founder, Club4AG

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

I was reading that ad and chuckled at the end: 'Lowballers will be mocked accordingly.' :mrgreen:
FLAWLESS VICTORY

Iceman404
Club4AG Regular

Postby Iceman404 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 pm

guys. he's gone.

honestly, i'm a bit sad, but it's for the best. the kid i sold it to reminded me of myself before i bought it in '03, namely that he had been looking for the right car for years and finally happened upon mine. just good to know he's picking up where i left off :-) Also glad that he's not getting it in the state that i found it in. PS, pointed him to the forums, so be nice! lol

so to not completely disappoint MotoP, the plan is to pick up another car when i get to california. :D
Little Blue Coupe