Engine Bay Clean up

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Engine Bay Clean up

Postby Jacare » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 pm

looking to clean up my engine bay pretty soon
not only from 25+ years of dirt, grime, and oil, but from the nest of wires and vaccum lines i have going everywhere.

does any one have a safe way to clean up the engine bay? detergent solution, step process?
last thing i wanna do is kill my car by doing it a careless way. i know you have to remove the battery, any other precautions?

next. does anyone have the vacuum line diagram, and any experience in deleting certain lines?
which ones arent that needed. i saw an engine bay pic today and i was a little jelly to say the least

my car is an 87 gts, power everything (want to delete cruise, but want to fix my power steering, but thats a question for another day), ac, heater. and i live in California, but after i do my emmissions next week i could care less until 2 years from now

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Re: Engine Bay Clean up

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 am

Its a simple degreasing & power washing task. Some precautions you might want to do first before you start. If you have an aftermarket intake system, cover the air filter & the distributor. A plastic shopping bag works great for this. Also stay away from the radiator and a/c condenser when power washing. You can leave the battery connected or disconnect it if you wish, in fact someone on here suggested to start & run the engine while power washing.

I know the vacuum lines & hoses are fugly but some of them play a vital role & purpose in overall function & operation to your existing engine. So be careful what you disconnect! Look under your hood. Toyota affixed a label diagram for the vacuum routing, egr emissions & fuel purge. If its faded or gone, a factory Toyota repair manual for your model year will illustrate this in clear detail.
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Rabid Machina
Club4AG Regular

Postby Rabid Machina » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 am

^^^^^this^^^^^^

and purple power works great

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 am

Remove, rebuild engine. Pressure wash engine bay. Install new engine.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001