Project AE86 aka the never ending project

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Project AE86 aka the never ending project

Postby marley4us » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Well I guess We lost my thread... so I am starting it over. Thank god I have it on MR2OC.com too.

My AE86 started as this stock SR5 1985 with a blown 4ac 5speed
ImageImage

I wanted to do a motor swap but was unsure what to do, which was easiest, and most beneficial for my power goals etc
Ya there are a lot of motors to choose from, but I am really trying to save my self time and effort, by going with something that is simple. No R&D, no crazy custom work, with complications, or hard rare parts. Just something I can swap in real easy, and have a lot of fun.

Thus far these are what I am partial to, in order.

1. s14 sr20det ( cheap, 240hp, full swap kit availble pre made)

2. Beams black top ( same price, less 200hp, swap easy)

3 and 4. silvertop 20v or gen4 3sgte (silver- weak 160hp, very easy to put in or best 265hp, a lot of custom work....)

not much of a update, gosh I forgot how much a Pain in the as... OEM rusted on parts are lol.. so I am waiting on my friend to bring over air tools, so i can rip out the suspension.

but got my ebc pads in, man they really package it nice...lol

and a comparison of the the brakes oem vs rx7

got a steal again! koyo radiator for and xs intercooler for dirt cheap!

this is the factory sr5 tiny radiator.

I had to clean up the koyo, but she still looks good, just a few bent fines, that i can fix.

cleaning time

a little better but I need to get some more simple green.

Found some killer deals!

Got a set of Origin Lab Sideskirts

and a Greddy TypeS BOV

got a package in the mail today!!!!

My poor old mail lady (must be 60's) had to try to carry this heavy package into her mail truck, so I went and got it out the truck for her, and carried to my garage :)

Package was beat up....

but they look amazing!

I also got these for after its painted :)

ok got some updates, I sold my old rims, and got a new set of xxr522 with tires, that actually fits my brakes for the same price! :)

not my favorite rims, but I am still on the hunt for some watanabi or work meisters in 15.

I also got this, but its at my parents house in Norcal, waiting for me to pick up next time I visit.

also got a greddy bov adapter from my buddy xene :0)

waiting on my sr20det to get dropped off, then I can really start working on this beast.

I still need:

1) celica supra rear end
2) reddrill RX7 rotors to fit 4x114
3) custom drive shaft
4) make motor mounts
5) fog lights
6) HIDs
7) H4 headlights
8) paint car
9) intercooler piping
10) new exhaust :)
I think thats it....

so here are the rims I only spent 20 bucks on :) (since I sold my oem rims)

15x8 et0 with 195's ohhh yeah...

I can't lower the car down, and take better pics, till I get my tuner lugs in the mail.

cheap H4 housing, with H4 HIDs with halogen highbeam. I will use these till I can find a good set of raybrig for a good price.

good news and bad news came in today...

lets start with bad, my friend compression tested the sr20det, and it had 125psi across all four.... :*( so he was not sure if I would want it anymore... which I don't I am not looking to rebuild it, I want one in running form. sad oh well, back to the motor searching.... ughhhh

but good news, my silverlining, lugs came in the mail today. So I put the rims on, and was able to move the car out.
lugs.

Rims on.

how the car is...

A little update. got some LEDs and PCBs so I will try to attempt a LED OEM tail lights for the ae86

Got my self a birthday gift from japan, and it even came in today on my bday!

Got this shipped from bulgaria baby!

FINALLY got my JDM corner lights! it really makes such a difference to front end, even if its messy right now!

SR20DET baby!!!!!!

and I did a major clean up of the garage, and selling off a ton of ____, and my garage is still packed!!!WTF

Pulled everything outside so I could clean up

cleaned up afterwords... still too much stuff lol

thanks gabe, I heard about ur turbo hope they send you a brand spanking new one asap! I am tearing out the 4ac, ASAP!!!! So ready to install all my parts! I should write a mod list :)

AE86 Mods list:

RX7 4 piston calipers
RX7 rotors
EBC yellow stuff pads
Konig Rewinds 14x7 0 offset
XXR 527 15x8 0 offset
Neochrome lugs
K-sport coilovers

JDM trueno badging and front grill
CF seibun doors
CF hood
FG runfree hatch with trd spoiler
Origin Lab side skirts
Watanabi front bumper
JDM corner lights
New Tail lights
H4 headlights with bixenon HIDS
LED tails (inprogress)
ion fog lights
Solex locks
Recaro Seats

S13 redtop SR20DET
Brian Crower 264 cams
upgraded coolant lines
steel braided oil feed lines
XS 3core intercooler
Koyo SR radiator
Greddy Type S bov

...I think thats it. I still need a beefer rearend, and a custom driveshaft. but I will need another paycheck for those.

Got a little bit done today, started tearing out some of the 4ac and seeing what I am going to do with it. It had rod knock real bad, so I think I will pull all the goodies off it, sell em for cheap, then recycle the block for scrap metal.

Alternator looks clean! that needs to go up for sale, and see what its worth...

Radiator is MINT too! no bents fins WTF that amazing! I wonder what they sell for?

Removed the battery, as I will be relocating it to the back. I need to cut out the battery stand to make it look cleaner

looks like it has a weber carb... not sure if thats aftermarket or oem... no idea what its worth either....? any imput would be appreciated.

This resivour.. is cool looking! love the oldschoolness

I remvoed the coolant overflow tank too, since it was cracked and ugly. I will make somthing cool for that as well.

No more radiator. I test fit the Koyo and it fits nice!

Thanks to the help of my buddy we labled all the wires and sensors, and got the motor out today! YAYAYYAY happy dance!

Pulled the front bumper off, so I can fiberglass it back up, to its orginal glory.

good bye 4ac with rod knock... you wont be missed.

Hello SR20DET, you will look pretty in your new home.

packed up the garage for the night, will do more tomorrow.

thank you milo.

got to work on the suspension too.

Suspension day! Got my coilovers on! pretty excited about it, man where my OEM shock blown lol

old suspension out!

New coilovers!

Fitment is sooooo close!

Decided to fix my bumper up. before the car gets sent off to paint.

Had some pre mixed fiberglass longstrand hair left from other projects.

here is how it looked when I got the bumper with the car.

cut on one side

Broken corner, and the whole bottom bit broken off

Cracks on many of the supports and just all over

started glassing the cracks

glassed the cut area

started to fix the edge and the underside

I will do some sanding tomorrow and see if I need to add more or just smooth here out.

Started playing with my mirrors too, since they where a bit banged up, I played some CF over them. I will need to trim it up, but it should look good with the matching doors.

more weight reductions parts in! just waiting for my runfree hatchwith wing, should be in this month, then I will weigh in the car!

started trimming up the cf, and put the first coat of clear on it, got a few more coats I will put on them buff it out.

2nd coat

Well I am pretty surprised how well it turned out! just need to clean it up a bit, but here ya go.

I am also going to do the mount, and now work on the otherside!

Mirror 98% finished!

kinda debating if I want to keep it 2 piece, or just go one, as it would be so much easier...

Got back from San Francisco, had a good time seeing friends and family. Got to take my dad camping for a late bday/early fathers day. Then went to my friend johns engagement dinner 10 course Chinese dinner! what a good time!
but back to the car..
Finished up the brakes!

My Brembo blanks came in, thanks to Aaron for machining them out for me.

Mounted them up, man they look good! way better then oem, I can not wait to test them out on this car!

More carbon fiber bits, hood, and the passenger side door, I need to install both of these soon, maybe tonight if I feel up for it.

Also got a MOMO tuner wheel and hub while in the bay area for cheap! It was for a mr2, and the hub is actually the same!

Installed it, fairly strait forward:
pop the square horn off

There is a 19mm nut on there, take that off.

Wiggly the wheel off the hub.

Slap the new wheel in place at the same angle. and re-install the 19mm nut and horn wire.

all done!
well I sold my TRD wing off, and the OEM hatch.... glad to start cleaning up the garage.

My package came into San Diego, so me and my buddy xene went to go pick it up.

This thing was wayyyy bigger then we thought... lol this is what happend for the 90 mile drive back home

Its a Runfree Fiberglass hatch with built in wing. man it looks good, I need to test fit it, and mount it up.

I measure it all out, and went to a local plastics stores to get some polycarbonate for the rear window...stuff cost 80 bucks to get cut to shape. 45 3/4inch by 31 inch tappered to 38inch. I should be able to pick it up one monday, and glue it in.

One more package came.

My DIY 4link, yes!!! so close to being done with buying parts.

Now the garage is cluttered again lol... oh well, time to start putting stuff on.

mounted my hatch, and fitment is great! I am very happy with it.

Here is the coilovers and bigbrakes in there car too!

Thanks mrskona- you will have lots of fun doing ur swap when it comes time.

started testing the mirrors up to the doors, the match decent.

pulled the car outside to take a look at it with all the bits attached, its starting to look like a ae86!

did a little work today on converting the JDM lights to LED, and playing with LED boards for the tailights.

These are significantly brighter then this, but my 9v battery was running out of juice.

well my friend has been sick and cant bring by the lift, so I cant get the motor in... sucks oh well. I painted the motor mounts gold. installed the supra grill into the bumper with the Trueno badge and started sanding it down a little better.

I ordered a cusco 6pt cage, but I go to New York in a few days, so it will have to wait till I get back.... guess this build gets postponed for a min.

Looking gangster!

lights and intecooler looking mean

"Goooooooooooooooold.... its not weird"

Polycarbonate window :) I still need to put some bolts trim and glue it in. but its cut and placed

Got home yesterday, still jet lagged/ liquor lagged/ party lagged from NY.

Well, this is the mess I come to, but its a happy mess!

Cusco 6pt Roll Cage, cusco tripoint strut bar, cusco strut rear strut bar, 2.5 muffler, FG hathch with wing #2, sr20 red top ecu, and one part for my mr2, border rear spats!

Time to start wrenching!

Junkyard find today! got a Supra 154 trans for my buddy, and I found a HKS turboTimer inside for my self! paid 5 bucks hahahah thank you pick a part!

YYyEeeAaaaaHHHHhhhhhh!!!!! I got my rearend finally! MA47 hear I go!!!!!!!

I need to rebuild the brakes, I'm sure. and I am going to look into getting sloted rotors, if they make any. but here she is!!!

this one is photoshoped to see how it could look, since i need paint etc.

I also installed a rear hatch C-Pillar bar, looks nice! I still need to install the lower Cusco rear strut bar.

Here is how I did my DIY JDM tail lights on my hatch for $20

What you need:

A can of Primer

A can of black high gloss paint

some 220 grit sand paper

superglue

red acrylic plastic matt

electrical tape

and a scissor

Start the work:

1. Use the painters tap to make your line across the top of the tailight, following the trim. then use a bag and tap it to the tap and all the area you do not want painted

2. sand down all the lettering, and ANY shinny part, it MUST look dull, or the paint wont stick.

3. Once it if fully prepped, wash and dry off the sanded area. Shoot a light layer of primer across the whole light, then let it dry and repeat till you have nice clean even coat.

4. Once the primer is dry, shoot a color layer the same way, with light coats.

5. Remove the tape while its still tacky, and let cure for however your paint can says to.

6. take out your acrylic red plastic, lay it up to the light and use a dry erase pen to mark out where you will cut.

7. Cut the acrylic plastic to size and glue in the piece!

8. and your done!

Got some work done, and took some pics.

Mounted the brake ducts, and made brakets and angled the tube so it will help cool the FC brakes.

Then started working on the SR20DET valley cover for the coilpacks, I heard that many people take them off cause the heat can decrease the longevity of the packs, or they buy a vented valley.

So I thought why pay 150 bucks for something I can make for free pretty much. So I started cutting out the center of the cover.

I still need to even it all out.

Then Found Some perforated metal I had laying around.
Cut out some CarbonFiber matt I have, just need to find my resin and hardener so I can lay it on and trim to fit!

Cleaned up the cuts with my angle grinder

Test fit the mesh

First layer of CF

After it hardened

Trimming it down to size

Hey its starting to look like a valley cover again

Cut out the venter for the vents

all finished, just need to wetsand and polish still, but that will be done later.

Started work on the stock eyelids, thought it would look nice to match them to the car with some CF accents.

Test fit the headlight eyelid, still need to trim it, fit the edges, and clear coat.

Then I test fit the Sr20det valley cover, so I could drill out the holes for the bolts.

It fits great, just need block the edges so its more even, wetsand it, and then clear coat!

Got a nice badge to put on my SR20DET hhehhehe

Got my LEDS today! they are perfect!!!!

This is on my test taillights, with only a 9v battery attached!

Final work, with my good lens

Mounted the LED panels, and polyseam selled them in.

LED panels on, u can see it needs a full 12v not a tinny 9v powering all 4! so it will be crazy bright in the car!

lights on

lights off

Or should I just have 3 lights and a reverse?

Harness is pretty much done, thanks to xene! I cut down my sr20 shifter threads, and I got a 3/8 16 by 1 inch bolt, and welded it to the shifter. That way I can screw on my new shift knob!!!!

Got a Sapporo Keg Tap

heheheh now I have a sapporo shifter!

What covers huge sapporo shifter best, a crown royal bag lol!

New to me Nardi wood steering wheel! sexy, ohhh yeah. And my shifter lol!!

Block oh wood, going to make me a wood shifter too!

Got this far, smoothing it out... I wanted to keep working, but I could tell I was pissing off my neighbors

Man I have not widdled since grade school, when we would go camping.... man I forgot how fun it is!

Finished smoothing it out. Purchased Stain, and Polyurethane clear gloss sealer, and nuts to mount inside the shifter.

First layer of stain

second layer of stain

Third layer of stain

I am waiting to see how dark this layer turns, and if it will match the wheel or I need another layer. In the morning I will add the clear gloss, with lots of layers for durability and a shinny finish!

Clear coat, here is the first few coats

Got wood

Finally picked up a pressure washer, little cheap-o but it works.

The engine bay was soooo grimmed and caked on with sludge and what looks like stuff from Ghostbusters goo on.

Thanksfully this little pressure washer, got a ton of it off.

Starting to look cleaner!

I am soaking the engine bay in grease remover, and I will pressure wash it again tomorrow morning, then soak again if needed.

Parts hoard!!!

CYB fender flares, Greddy Profec B, LED tail lights, LED JDM corner lights, LED sidemarkers, LED USDM lights, Kouki eye lids, FRS badge, just waiting on my mudflaps, and intercooler piping to come in.

Intercooler piping arrived! Image

and a nice little accent for the my wheel

Got the engine bay taped off

First couple shots of color

Its getting ready for some POWER!

Fine, whatever I will call the guy I purchased them from, and try to figure this out, F*^%k... whatever!

Pull the exhaust, yeah its gone and removed finally, no idea what brand this is at all, toss to the side.

Lurred my friend over with offerings of beer, to help swap the rearend out of the SR5.

got the rearend removed, what a pain in the ass, so many rusted out bolts.

This is where is gets confusing again! So I am kinda really confused.... My MA-47 celica/supra rearend bolted in with out the 4link I purchased (using the OEM SR5 bars, and the Celica supra swaybar) ..... wtf... the only thing that did not fit was the panhard bar.... I am sooo confused.

Stance looks way better with the new rearend and mubflaps

Does anyone have an idea why the MA47 rear would fit with out aftermarket 4link??????!?!?!?

I had a great day today! Cleared out room in the garage, sold off the 4link, OEM hood, SR5 full diff, driveshaft, stock antenna, stock mr2 seat! made some cash and got a cleaner garage!!!!

I also got a few things in the mail, AE86 panda sticker, and I made this resevour cover custom embroidered!!

Thanks sidewayssw20, it should be fun!

Valve cover is shaved and painted!!!

But I can't decide on my theme. here are a few option:

1) sleep panda center

2) sleepy panda off center

3) falling over panda center

4) falling over panda off center

5) FRS badge center top

6) FRS badge center lower

E86 with the other accents! cant wait to get these in!!!
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Re: Project AE86 aka the never ending project

Postby marley4us » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm

or some form of combination like FRS badge where the nissan badge was, and the panda on the front etc.

Vote!!! I need help deciding!

Well cleaning stuff up right now, straitened the edges on the coilpack Carbonfiber cover, and sanded it down so it will not be bumpy lol

Then some clear coat.

Same thing with the kouki eyelids, one had a nice good scratch on it, i had to sand through.

some clear :)

Man first time I have had the valley cover on the shaved white valve cover, and it turned out just how I imagined it!! Lovin it!

Just need to figure out how I want to badge it!!

Started out templating my motor mounts in paper, getting closer!

Got a big piece of steel :)

TD86 thanks man!

Small update, as I have been sick and trying to catch up on school work.

Did you know Sapporo Beer cans are made of steel!!

Time to pop it a special way

And drink her up!!!

Whatever will I make with this can... ;)

Got my parts in for my DIY Panhard bar / lateral done.
-2458K182 Ball Joint Rod End 3/4"-16 Lh (you just need one of these) $17.36 each Mcmaster.com
-2458K181 Ball Joint Rod End 3/4"-16 Rh (you see a trend starting ) $17.36 each Mcmaster.com
-6381K121 Bronze 3/4"-1/2" bushing (you'll just need one) $1.64 each Mcmaster.com
-91034134-27 (27")ALUM TUBE FOR 3/4" HEIMS (you'll need just one) $14.95 each Speedwaymotors.com
**These are your choice since it's just stuff you can get at your local hardware store and probably be cheaper but I'll list it up anyways
-1756047-LH JAM NUTS 3/4", STEEL 6/PACK (you just need one per side) $3.95 Speedwaymotors.com
-1756047-RH JAM NUTS 3/4", STEEL 6/PACK (ditto^^) $3.95 Speedwaymotors.com

I put the fitting on my drill and used some sand paper to get a perfect fit, took less then a min to do ;)

done

finally got the Rusted out rotor, and seized caliper off thanks to PB blaster. Just waiting on the brand new rotors to come in, already picked up the new brake caliper, for the rearend.

Got the VC finished, and almost done with the Sapporo Catch can.

well I ran into another snag. the DIY lateral bar does not fit the MA-47 rear... I thought it would, but its a 1/4 a inch off...

I will have to cut out the mount and put a new drilled one in, not too hard, but still annoying, oh well.

On the other hand, I put the VC back on, I am half way done with the Sapporo catch can, and wired up the Greddy profec B, boost solenoid to the boost controller.

I plan on painting it. I made a one off color single stage pearl paint. It was a pain to get a single stage to look right. I wanted to paint it cheap, Since I realized I will probably bang it up a bit since I will be drifting this at events. So I had a panda theme (white and black) in two color pearls.

Both will be single stage Pearls. White pearl single stage,which I was told it does not exist but it does! :) Mitsubishi Dover white effect (white with white/ pink pearl). But you have to modifify the mix code by removing the 4.7% of "trans Yellow" to get a cleaner white. I may mess with it some more to make it perfect. Then I am using X48 Mitsubishi black pendleton pearl (black with blue pearl flake)

The Car will be painted panda themed, but any place that is Carbon Fiber will be painted white excluding the black portion of the panda paint theme, and that will be left Carbon Fiber. I am hoping it will turn out subtle and nice.

Got the Sapporo Beer/ oilcatch can finished. 6 bucks to make this (not includding beer) not bad and looks sweet.

(2) 1/2 flarex 1/2 MIP
(2) Nylon hose barb elbows
(1) 1/2ft of 1/4"ID vinyl tubing
(1) pot cleaner mesh for bafftling

Started cleaning up the muflaps. Used some cleaner, and a brilla pad.

Got my Trueno Mudflap stickers.

First test of the custom single stage pearl

Got the Trueno Mudflaps done... Thinkinking I might clear coat them, so they last forever.

clear coated

1 coat

3 coats

Thanks guys!! your post really help motivate me!!!

Man I just finished a HUGE test on lol "every vein in the body and all its names, every artery, the heart in its entirety from the cellular level up through to its basic functions, lymphatic system, immune system, and all the factors in clotting and blood work..." OMG what a test, I think I rocked it though, but my brain feels dead, and I already have 2 new chapters I need to read for next week... FML

But back on subject, Got some new toys in ;)

Prothane bushing

New Rotors yeahhhh!

What a stupid, PITA, rediculous rear brake calipers this celica supra rearend has! omg lol it has 6 shims and two large thick thims TOTAL 8 F%$king shims just to assemble the brakes lol

Once on though, man rear discs do look sexy on this car!

Also put my mudflaps on and man they look good, car is really starting to become a car again!

Started taking off the rear side markers, so I can weld it closed.

Started hacking up the AE111 cusco 6pt cage to fit my AE86 hatch.

cut the plates off and droped it 1 inch.

Good fitment with the roof line

Having trouble with the rear bars, not sure how I want to go about it. Im thinking Either weld it into the wheel well, but then the seats cant drop down anymore, or make a custom bar that ties into the rear of the car, and gives me room for the seats to drop.

I have not moved it all the way forward yetImage

Bar still needs paint and to be moved forward. but getting closer

Getting ready for the test fit/ heart transplant

SR20DET getting pulled up

the booty

Frame spacer getting installed

half in frame spacer in

Man what ____ ton of wiggling had to be done to get this in. CV had to be removed, a little mount had to shaved down, frame had to droped more lol!!!

IN FINALLY!!!!!!

The Stock SR20 mounts fit soooo close lol!!! I wont have to modify them too much, just extent them a little lol

Intercooler pipe and greddy Type S bov installed!

Front bumper test fit to see where the intercooler will lay out, looks more and more like a car again

Its a car

Thats all we got done tonight, but i was once again suprised how much stuff really almost bolts right up.

sideways- its Carbon Fiber doors. Thanks ya The Valley cover turned out decent. I was happy with it, plus it was free! way better then 200 bucks they sell em on ebay for etc.

Had a few beers with my buddy xene, who just picked up a MR2 yeahhH!!!! and we started messing with the car, making up some one-off mirrors.

Not sure if they will be done, but I do have extra CF and resin, so why not right.

any suggestions, constructive criticism or opinions is always appreciated.

ya lol no worries. snags suck, but on swaps its to be expected... oh well.

Ya I need to take my mr2 out, its been forever since I drove her!

Some cool stuff should be coming really soon! Motor mounts should be here any day now, same with aero mirrors!

Got megan tension rods for 50 bucks!!!

Got into a car accident in my NB 2002 MX5 DD... my back hurts, and the car is pretty mesed up... hood is smashed, radiator support is bent, radiator busted, ac condensor cracked, passenger headlight and passenger fender destroyed and front bumper... FML...right before finals week.

but on a brighter note,
Got my motor mount adapters in!!!

Motor finally fully bolted in

Thanks, Ya I am glad I was not hurt too. 1 because no one wants to be hurt. and 2, because I really did not want to be striped down naked in my own hospital by all my friends and coworkers lol! Its like a bad nightmare coming true!

I actually got really hooked up from the miata boards, got a new front bumper, fender, headlights, radiator, ac condenser, hood, and radiator support for 600 bucks! there goes the AE86 fund, but my car should be back on the road in a week when the body guys get done installing and painting it all!

So for now I am broke, and I will be stuck installing what parts I have for the AE86, but It might be a min before I get the last needed parts to get her running (fuel pump, driveshaft)

I did get some cool stuff from Nippon in!Image
AERO mirrors!!

well no updates on the ae86. But I figured I would post the damages to the mazda NB... looks sad...

But I got all the replacement parts so its on it was to get fixed.

Here are some pics of them mounted...ish. I have CF doors so I need to make mounting plates cause they the CF doors dont come with any, but these would have bolted right up like oem! they fit amazing!!!

Been stuck at home, MX5 is almost out the body shop, should get it any day now. Finals are pretty much done, last one is one tuesday but I did all my crazy hard ones this week. So I had to some to work on the AE today.

Found a RatRod shop that had mandrel bent piping, lol seems like the Inland Empire has never heard of this, cause I had to go to 6 shops to find it, and no one else seemed to know what it even was lol!

Got some steel cut, and made my own frame spacers, with the help of my buddies better drill bits lol!

some pics of the motor mounts

trans mount

Installed the Megan Tension Rods, wow that FU*%ing bolt was one there crazy tight!!!

Old rusty nasty oem tensionrod

Sexy Beefy Megan Tension rod

Drilled a hole for the intercooler piping, and wrapped a old hose around it to make sure it wont cut the coupler.

The Hood would not close all the way even with my custom frame spacers, so I called the company that made the engine mounts, they said I may have to take some of the support frame of the hood.. kinda sucks... oh well.

TCS hood, I am gonna cut you!

Hood pretty much sits closed now....

Car coming alone... slow but steady.

thanks, I got a little update :)

To start AE86, and beer

got my hatch gas prop rods to work. I got the eastbear hatch second hand, and the P.O. had busted out the hatch bolts that where glassed into it. So I had to make longer brackets, still need to cut it down to size. But hey at least it works right now!

Bracket made, now one more to go!

Adapter plate to hold the two throttle cables together

All done, throttle cable connected and feels nice!
Image :)

So I went to put the other Megan Tension rod on, and man what a PAIN! the bolt was rusted on so bad, I had to grind it off! WTF lol took for ever, not fun lol.

I also finally finished the Panhard bar/ lateral bar. So the DIY set up does not fit a celica supra rearend just FYI for anyone else wanting to do this. I had to order a extra extension from K and H an local store here. K and H metals supply part number 917020044 3/4-16 alloy linkage adjuster Then grind down the metal around the bolt "it had a little ring around it" so I could get the bar to slip over it.

I Also got the hood to close and lock properly finally, cut down the inside of the hood a bit, I forgot to take pictures, but I will post them up when I can.

Started mocking up the stock turbo and exhaust manifold. Putting it all back together etc

Braided lines, new gaskets

exhaust manifold

assorted bolts etc

Torquing everything down

Just realized I am missing my oil feed and oil return fittings. Hopefully my buddy still has them at his house, or he can get me some from his work :)

Been working 80+hrs a week since I have no school right now and the Hospital has been crazy busy in the E.R., but I finally have cash on hand, and a good amount too!

That is the double edged sword that is my life, either no cash to work on the car, or lots of cash no time hahahah.

Got The last bits to put my car together, now I just need to actually work on her!

Replacement oil feed, oil return, coolant AN fittings, steel braided lines

exhaust manifold nuts

Inline external Walbro GSL 392 (external255)

AE86 A/C hard lines re-welded with SR fittings

Installed the rear cusco strut bar... kinda think its a POS as it does not bolt to anything with structural value... lol. I am really surprised CUSCO made this...? but hey it looks cool so oh well. The cage and sway bars will be doing most of the work stiffing the suspension so, this can just make it look cool i guess.

since I jacked up the rear plastci panels I am trying to reapaire them so it will fit better. I may lay bride fabric over it, and match all my interior that way.

starting installing the the A/C lines

and the turbo fittings.

a few small things done, but man its freezing for CA right now its 36 degrees and very winder my god lol CA is not supposed to be this cold, especially southern CA!

Put the rear trunk panels back in, going to need to cover the cut marks though with something, maybe stickers for now, then later alcanter. I also got a Battery box so I can move the Battery to the back

My friend Bruce let me borrow his fender roller, so I can roll and pull my fenders!!!

Removing the Dash so Xene can wire up my gauges, though I am really on the look out for a NX1600 digital dash, if anyone has one hook it up!!!

Got a AC belt too, getting closer and closer every day!

Hahhaha thanks! Yeah it takes a certain passion... or obsessiveness/ nature to do these things. That or negligence to the facts of how much there really is to do lol! Cause I always feel like I am so close to getting it done! I actually think I enjoy building more then anything, when I can see what I want to build in my head, and put it into flourishion, to me is just the best. That and I am kinda Jew-y and I look at the financial Investment to do this all my self, VS buying a premade one. Hopefully when this is done if I did my spread sheet right, I will have about 5,500 invested and I should be able to flip it once I am bored with it for about 10-14,000. So it should be fun, I just can't wait till she is painted and has a finished look and feel. But man It just sure is getting close!

Started fitting up the otherside of the intercooler.

Test fit

drilled my hole

yeah Hole
some tubing to make the sharp edges not cut anything.

intercooler piping installed.

Its a little too long on the passenger side, so I will trim it down.

Intercooler support bracket.

Should i put the badge here

Or here

or none?

OEM fender lip

Rolling fender

Rolled fender :)

Man I am so excited! Just ordered a NX1600 Digital Dash, should be very cool, and if all turns out well and installs. I will be the only AE86 with a NX1600 digital dash

I also am about to Carbon Fiber Fender flares! that should look killer on my A
1994 4runner (The truck)

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Glad you made it to the new boards. That thing is shaping up real nice!
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

John H.
Club4AG Expert

Postby John H. » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Ian,
glad you, and your build are back!
Looking forward to future posts.
Good luck!

-John

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 pm

wow a ton of work and it's looking great too!

deff diggin the CF wrap stuff you got goin on there
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Elvin Wes
Club4AG Expert

Postby Elvin Wes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I really like what your doing to this corolla man.

I was going to buy this car.

lol

dcnazario
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby dcnazario » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

nice progress keep it up!
just another rolla, keeping it alive.

85 Hachi - 87 Coupe

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, as soon as I get some more work done to it, I will post up more. Im waiting on the NX1600 digital dash, and with my friend Xene (wiring genius) I will put up a DIY, and hopefully the CF flares will come this week too.
1994 4runner (The truck)

monder

Postby monder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 am

this work is sick well doneeeeeeeeeeeee

S2k360
Club4AG Regular

Postby S2k360 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:33 am

Ur a beast. It was like reading a book with pictures that u couldn't put down! Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your other builds in the future

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks! here are some of my other builds. My last MR2 turbo, that then went flares, then widebody stroked.

The build of when i first got the car
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=421638

Toyota fest 2011
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=422190

Flared MR2 Turbo
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=427122

finishing my widebody
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=439310&page=2&pp=20

widebody first wing
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=441854&page=3&pp=20

widebody finished GTwing photoshoot with gen4 3sgte celica
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=446476

So slept through the fedex guy knocking on my door with my CF flares, thanks to night shift in the ER being fucking crazy! Had 10 ICU holds, GSW, Stemi that could not be transfered, and more septic PTs then we could handle, plus they pulled our staff to staff upstairs ICU WTF!!

But USPS did drop this beauty off! NX1600 digital dash

here with the bezel next to it, will have to mod it a little.

1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:07 pm

1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Yeah Carbon Fiber Fender flares are here!!! they where packages so good! I was really imppresed with the quality too!

1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 pm

1994 4runner (The truck)

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby maxpham » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Ian, your widebody SW20 is pretty sick. It makes me want to have a second project car... that's pretty awesome. If your 86 is going to be half as nice, I definitely can't wait to see you finish it! cheers mate! :D

Skizzup
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Skizzup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 pm

looking good man. however do not use that exhaust manifold gasket! i used the same one that was brand new and blew it out in a week or so. use an oem multi-layer nissan one!

how did you make the sapporo shift knob and catch can! i want! lol
- Dino
Do you wanna ball or not?
http://instagram.com/skizzup

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

max- thanks! your car is bad ass and I cant wait for you to get the new stuff I mailed ya!!! its going to be crazy cool!!!!!!!!!!

Skizzup- ya i totally agree, I got a OEM 7 layer, thanks for the heads up!
1994 4runner (The truck)

Project9

Postby Project9 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:11 am

I jus unused reading the whole thread! Very impressive! I am in te hunt for a GTS hatch. My 6 year old keeps bugging me to buy one so we can go it and drift it together lol

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 pm

not much of an update... been flooded with school and work, and the DD... uhgg oh well.

I sold the CBY carbon fender flares, there are off across the ocean to a new happy home! I placed an order for my Carbon Fiber origin Fender flares... just waiting for them to be made and delivered... hopefully no more delays..
1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:04 pm

So I had to adjust my passenger side intercooler pipe, by shortening one end, and welding a bit of extra material to the other so it would fit right.

this is where I had it welded back up

but this left me with one end with out a bead.... So

well I had my friend weld this up for me so I can now have a beadroller :) best 12 bucks I have spent in a while! just a Vice clamp, exhaust clamp, and a washer. saved me 150 bucks!!

here is how it turned out

1994 4runner (The truck)

BumbleB

Postby BumbleB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I like the car but after reading I dont understand that if you had a night like that in the ER why they would pull your staff but it seems to be an everynight thing around here too. Stemi may have made me just excited as the flares.

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Ya I agree, they pull our staff for ICU, so we can bring up the maybe 6 pts there, but then we are 6 beds short in ER lol? does not make a whole lot of sense to me... but oh well I am not the head honcho. Ya The CF flares where super cool! The CBYs where made really well! but I wanted something a little more subtle... i keep trying to go overboard on this car, and then I stop my self and rethink it. So I hope, and think the Origin CF ones will turn out as good if not better.
1994 4runner (The truck)

gunslinger27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby gunslinger27 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Love the progress on the car Marley4us if you could help out the Club4ag community by posting up a DIY Mazda Caliper Setup I would really appreciate it looking into the brake upgrade but I really don't want to spend 800+ on an upgrade like the Wilwood brake kit Thank

sekang0
Club4AG Expert

Postby sekang0 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm

DUDE, SICK THREAD! Love the little square foam mock up mirrors!!! Question: do your carbon doors work with the stock glass or you going lexan/poly?
'85 GT-S project since 2010

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

gunlsinger27- I would love to post the DIY for the mazda calipers if I had one, I purchased the adapter bracket second hand, and that plus mini cooper rotors redrilled for 4x114 is all you need.

seekang0- thanks I should finish making them, i started em, and never got back to them cause I got the RX7 aero mirros... some day i will. And yes the CF doors fit OEM glass, I made lexan windows too, but they don't fit great as my oven was not big enough to heat them up so the have the appropriate curvature...
1994 4runner (The truck)

SassyBiz
Club4AG Regular

Postby SassyBiz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:44 am

my redlines are too cool for your corolla.
haha jk. but seriously...

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 am

Hey lol I ponied up... finally lol, then you did not want to sell em!!!!!!!!!!!
1994 4runner (The truck)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Update update update!!!!!

Got some new stuff, and some great news!!!

Battle-Garage has given the go ahead on making Carbonfiber Origin style fender flares for me, for the front and rear! This is a first so maybe if others love it too, more can come, that will be up to them! but I am very excited about the whole thing!

Here are the reverse plugs for the CF fender flares. I will update more when I get more pics, the should be finishing up soon, and on the way to me.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Battle-Ga ... 7158838709

I got some new rims too!!!! Had to get a little dedicated to bring them back though lol! new lugs on the way too!

1994 4runner (The truck)

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby maxpham » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 am

Very cool that you got the CF flares serial number #1! Definitely can't wait to see you test fit those. :)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Ya I can not wait to get Battle-Garage origin style flares in CF, I have been talking with them for some time, and now that it is all set in motion I am very excited! I hope to hear from them soon again with more pics.

Got some more lugs, thought would match these rims better.

yeahhhh rims baby! the reflection is the lip tripped me out in this pic!

got lip :)

mounted

Massive lip, Cant wait to get my Fender flares, I will need to pull the sheet metal too I am sure.

How the other rims look too. I will be keep both sets.

1994 4runner (The truck)