low oil

yangster
Club4AG Regular

low oil

Postby yangster » Wed May 29, 2013 4:26 pm

My sr5 has been dead for half a year now and cant figure wats wrong with it. I took out my oil and very little came out, i have a head blowen gasket. Can it be that it has to low of oil to start? I`ve checked a lot of stuff and bought new stuff for the car but nothing works. Any body know wats up?

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: low oil

Postby BlackStar » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I measure out the dipstick on my SR5 AE86; from the bottom tip to the protective cover, it is approximately 10.5 inches long. My car's oil level sits slightly above the halfway mark on the dipstick.

My suggestion: Get a haynes manual, and read. From what information you have provided, it seems you have no clue about the engine, or diagnosing its non-start problem. Replacing the head gasket would be obviously beneficial, as would be a full engine rebuild. Read and learn.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Thu May 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeh thanks, welk at first it was only a blowen fusible link then, i took off my dizzy. I put it back on but it didnt want to start still. I tried to aline my timing and do all that good stuff but nothing worked. The carb didnt seem like it was getting fuel so i got a weber carb. Also i have spark, spark plugs and new battery. Other than that, i dont knoe what the problem is.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu May 30, 2013 6:18 pm

If you blew the heda gasket, that can suck out oil or antifreeze or both, or push either one into the other.

If you fixed the blown head gasket, and whatever other problem blew the fusible link, you should be OK to add oil and try again. If the oil you drained is milky and doesn't look like ordinary used oil, fill it with cheap oil the this time and then change it again after an hour or so, to clean out whatever else might be mixed in the oil. Like antifreeze.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm

did you align all the marks on the dizzy? And do you have timing light? Very important to have a timing light.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 pm

My oil didnt have any thing in it like antifreeze. My brother said it could be that i have a hole in the block. I tired to set my timing but nothing works out. I will have to check if i have a timing light.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Usually you'd notice if something made a hole in the block. More likely it is getting sucked in past a bad head gasket (even if you replaced it, the repair may be bad) or blowing out past one of the seals, or getting sucked into the cylinders. The diagnostics are pretty much the same for all engines, and in every shop manual.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

Cavi Mike
Club4AG Regular

Postby Cavi Mike » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Low oil has nothing to do with why an engine won't start unless you already seized the motor up.

Clearly you're just taking shots in the dark here. I think it's time you refer to a professional.
pearls ain't free

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri May 31, 2013 12:30 am

What's the compression?
Does it spark?
Does the carb's accelerator pump squirt?
These questions are answered by many non-professionals but they all have to give a little bit of thought to what they are doing and not blindly throw parts at it.
A basic understanding of how a 4-cycle lawnmower engine works is needed, otherwise you'll pay someone else.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks guys