Creaking/rattling when making 90* right turns

Deuce Cam

Creaking/rattling when making 90* right turns

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Lately I've been getting a creaking/rattling sound from the rear of my car when making 90* right turns. The sound seems to be coming from the rear passenger side but it's hard to say for sure. I've only noticed it on 90* right turns, and it's more noticeable when taking corners faster. The sound is the same in neutral and in gear. FWIW I haven't felt or noticed a difference in performance when the sound is present. I have a hunch that it's a bad bushing, but it's just a guess. Anybody have a similar problem or have any ideas?

Here's the parts list:
-t3 panhard (heim joints)
-prothane poly 4 link bushings
-stock rear sway with prothane poly bushings (these bushings were all replaced with new pieces 2 days ago)
-tokico blue shocks
-megan springs
-cusco rs lsd 1.5
-oem over-axle exhaust
Last edited by Deuce Cam on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

roach_86
Club4AG Regular

Re: Creaking/rattling when making 90* right turns

Postby roach_86 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 pm

My car made a lot of noise like that and it was the over axle exhaust rubbing the under-body. The only reason I know is I punctured the resonator and had to change it out and desisted to go with a under axle for better sound, and it went away.
84- AE86 Spinter GT-APEX

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Interesting, I'll have to take a look. I updated my parts list to reflect that I'm using the oem exhaust.

Edit: FWIW I was rocking the exact same suspension/diff setup on my last corolla (all parts were swapped over), but on the old car I was using a hks sport over axle exhaust. No issues.

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:04 pm

i have a rubbing/grinding kinda noise im not sure what it can be either

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Mine is more of a creaking than a rattling. At first it sounded like something was rolling around in the trunk, but now that the sound is more pronounced it sounds like something is loose. I recently replaced all of the rear sway bar bushings. While I was waiting for the new bushings to come in I removed the rear sway completely and the sound was still there.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 am

I noticed something similar recently after swapping my cracked stock exhaust manifold for a cheap OBX header; rattling coming from the back, mostly when I turned or went over a bump. Sounded like some junk in my trunk. Turns out, it was just my tailpipe hitting the tow hook.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Tora, that's exactly what it was. I took the rear bumper off, went for a spirited drive, and couldn't replicate the sound. The stock exhaust tip is only a few mm away from the tow hook and I can see where the tow hook is rubbing on the exhaust (slight wear mark). Thank you for posting because I doubt I would have noticed that being the problem. Even my mechanic roommate thought I wasting time removing the bumper to test. I'm really glad I didn't start removing my 5 links to inspect the bushings.

:mrgreen:

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:03 pm

ill try it hopefully it fixes my sound.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 am

No problem! I'm always pretty quick to jump to the worst-case scenarios when I hear / feel something different with my car. Sometimes the answer is extremely simple / harmless.