sr5 wont start please help me

yangster
Club4AG Regular

sr5 wont start please help me

Postby yangster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

got a 86 sr5, not running. i have new NGK spark plug, Weber Carb, New fuel Pump and a 2 year old starter. at first my fuse was blown, but got a new one, i messed with the dizzy, but i tried to refix the timing a ton of times.. after that it only cranks but wont start up and stay on. Need help fast.. i dont want to sell it and need it for work and skool. i miss driving it, and love it, so if u can help it'd be very helpful. im jus a 17 year old trying to enjoy my 86 so if u can help thank you..

Red
Club4AG Expert

Re: sr5 wont start please help me

Postby Red » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Which fuse blew? And did you find out why it blew?

Odds are the distributor and timing only made it worse, and weren't the problem since the car was running before you touched them.

Since it cranks, if your fuel pump is working you probably have fuel and that leaves the ignition as the problem. Like fort says, check for spark. If you have spark, then it is timing.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 pm

jus checked for sparks the other day, all four spark plugs have spark. my 40A fuse on the battery blew, i dont know y tho.. i got a new 40A and the two 60A next to it too. it might b my dizzy cus i took it off.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

IIRC the 40A fusible link block (they're not called fuses) only supplies power to the carburetor pre-heat circuit on the 4AC engines. That would not blow unless there was a short in the circuit and if the carb pre-heat or other component is malfunctioning, that could stop the engine. Check that circuit.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

thank you Red, i'll check it out.

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 pm

what is your ignition timing at? could be that you got the timing to far off that it wont run.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm

timing is set at 0/ top dead center, timing is set at dizzy 1

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:44 am

yangster..why'd you pull the dizzy if you had spark? & yea, sure sounds like a serious short occurring if ur blowing those main fuses at the batt..try to remember & back track on was done befor this all had happened.. If I remember right, you were last wiring in the elec choke on ur weber.

Btw, got a customers sr5 sitting in my shop I can reference to, & help you if need be
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:37 am

" If I remember right, you were last wiring in the elec choke on ur weber."
That would make sense, since that's what the 40A fusible link block is for.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm

my uncle thought it was the dizzy for some reason nd took it off, but i installed a different dizzy. after my carb fucked up i put a weber in it, it still never started up. my weber didnt **** up my car, it was the 40A fusible link. but got all the fusible for the fuible link. rite now it sounds like it wants to start but it dont.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:29 pm

yangster wrote:my uncle thought it was the dizzy for some reason nd took it off, but i installed a different dizzy. after my carb fucked up i put a weber in it, it still never started up. my weber didnt **** up my car, it was the 40A fusible link. but got all the fusible for the fuible link. rite now it sounds like it wants to start but it dont.

Reds right. There is a preheat plate made of phenolic at the base of the carb. A couple wires with a factory plug is usually connected to it. If thats still present under your weber, try to unplug it..

& could you give us a little more info on what the stock carb was doing & f*cking up? Sounds like this "no start" condition occurred then
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 am

I know I'm confused here. This is a 4AC, and is this the whole sequence, in the right order?

1.Original carb *d up, blew the preheat link, link replaced.
2. Car won't start.
3. Uncle messed with dizzy for some reason, previously untouched, no joy.
4. Dizzy replaced, no joy.
5. Carb replaced with Weber, no joy.

And you're sure the dizzy that's in there, is set properly for static timing. Absolutely sure.

When you try to start it, can you smell fuel? So you know the fuel pump is working & fuel line/filter not blocked?

Be patient, resist the urge to strangle "Bart"<G>. There will be a Homer Simpson Moment (D'oh!) and the answer will turn up.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Red wrote:Be patient, resist the urge to strangle "Bart"<G>. There will be a Homer Simpson Moment (D'oh!) and the answer will turn up.

^^ :lol: And it eventually does..! guess its a common occurrence for most,even for myself.. & its usually not car related at times
87 GTS Coupe

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 am

This qestion seems...familiar? Per chnace, do you live in Sothern Claifornia, and psoted this question on a facebook toyota group?

You say the old carb was fucked up. In the queens english, what was wrong with it? Did it magically just decide not to work? Any symptoms before that happened? You say your timing is at 0. The ignition timing is supposed to be at 5* BTDC. Make sure all parts of the ignition system are lined up, could be the dizzy is a tooth off. Or a couple of teeth off.

Tomorrow, I will check to see which wire the stock carburetor uses for it's electric choke. If you still have the messed up stock carb, you can uses the big green electric coupling(thye come apart, you can remove the non-used wires) to ease with the wiring.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Fri May 03, 2013 4:07 pm

yes red thats correct,also the carb wasnt getting fuel but i got a new fuel pump and now im getting fuel. everything was fine until the carb started to smoke a little. then one day at night everything thing died while the car was running but the car was still on and driving. next morning it wouldnt start. found out it was the fusible link 40A.
Im not located in Cali, im in Arkansas.. sadly.

yangster
Club4AG Regular

Postby yangster » Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 am

um not sure yet, havent had the time to mess with it yet.