Polish inlet 4age 20V Blacktop - a yes or a no?

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Polish inlet 4age 20V Blacktop - a yes or a no?

Postby onnaj » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Hello,

I'm happy my head is clean at last and been busy with 'rebuilding' it.

Now i'm doubting about the following though. I've polished the exhaust side of the head because that wasn't smooth at all. But i don't know if this is also recommended for the inlet side.
Reason i ask is that from the combustion chamber to the valve guides the walls look pretty polished already, don't think i get them a lot more shiny and smooth. But there's a different story when you go in from the throttle body to the valve guides. That's a bit 'rough' not completely smooth. Not as bad as the stock exhaust side, but still a little.

Hopefully you guys, who do know a lot more about tuning the 4AGE then i do :), can tell if you do recommend it or not. I'm not planning do much upgrades later on. I've build an alu cold air intake box and maybe somewhere in the future i do for velocity stack and even further away i might install an aftermarket ecu.

I don't expect huge gains btw. But now i have the head on the table already its a lot easier to do :)

Exhaust side polished (almost completely):

Intake side stock:

Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Re: Polish inlet 4age 20V Blacktop - a yes or a no?

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I suggest cleaning up the rough edges and flashes on the intake as well as blend the bowl area but dont polish the intake side...the exhaust side and combustion area u can polish to help keep carbon from sticking to that area.
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:I suggest cleaning up the rough edges and flashes on the intake as well as blend the bowl area but dont polish the intake side...the exhaust side and combustion area u can polish to help keep carbon from sticking to that area.

Okay thanks! I cleaned it already up with my dremel :) That's the best tool for this job.
Going to polish only the exhaust then.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 am

I suggest letting a professional with proffesional tools do any head work. you can ruin a head if you dont know what you are doing. if you have access to a flow bench and have someone looking over your shoulder then cool have at it but to remove metal from the head in your drive way cuz your bored with out knowing where to cut then you are asking to replace the head.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 am

No worries ;)

I just take the rough parts out so the exhaust gasses can flow a little bit faster. Not taking anything else off of it and i also just take a tiny little bit off.

The intake i won't touch. The flow from the combustion chamber to the valve guides looks better then i would ever be able to do myself. Only what thing i could do is take rough parts of the walls from the throttle bodies to the valve guide. But i won't ;). I'm going to thorougly clean it now, do a leak test and then build it.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am

You might want to get yourself Dremel sanding buffs for use on the exhaust....

Something else you might look at on the exhaust side as well......

:mrgreen:
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Those runners cleaned up nice oldeskewltoy.. Looks beautiful!
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm also done. Maybe just not as shiny as yours but i'm very pleased with it and so are others who looked at it. I bought a special dremel polish tool, that didn't take much off but did a really nice polishing job. Don't remember the number though. Think it was 530 or so. But i'm happy with the results. It feels and looks far more smooth then ever before. Also nice to it too! :) Better then all the cleaning i had to do with the extremely sludged engine! ;)

These are the results (taken with my Sony HX5V btw):

Combustion chamber (unpolished intake / polished exhaust

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:54 am

I would avoid going for a polished finish on the intake side, as it allows the fuel to condense and form droplets on the port walls. A slightly rougher surface finish will not allow the fuel to stick by creating small amounts of turbulence in the intake, and such will atomise much better and end up making more power. I would also suggest being very careful, as it is very easy to get carried away and take too much out. Half the heads I see that have been ported by people at home I won't touch because they've been ruined.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:53 am

Jimmee1990 wrote:I would avoid going for a polished finish on the intake side, as it allows the fuel to condense and form droplets on the port walls. A slightly rougher surface finish will not allow the fuel to stick by creating small amounts of turbulence in the intake, and such will atomise much better and end up making more power. I would also suggest being very careful, as it is very easy to get carried away and take too much out. Half the heads I see that have been ported by people at home I won't touch because they've been ruined.

That's why i left the intake side for what it is. I heard that before. Also i didn't touch the combustion chamber itselves. Some say when it's a bit rough it burns longer and better.

I highly agree with what you're saying. When you do it, take your time. Don't try to get it all off in an hour or so with too heavy tools. Take your time and do it with a less heavy tool. You won't take off too much and will have a really nice result. :)