Optimum timing

bwh13
Club4AG Regular

Optimum timing

Postby bwh13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Searched the forums but couldn't find anything about the best setting for the BT. A local engine swap contact who mentioned the BT would run better with advanced timing didn't tell me what he ran and he has since moved to WA.

rocksteadyracer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Optimum timing

Postby rocksteadyracer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm

I race my GTS and had it dyno'd bone stock, set at the factory 5degree BTC and had kind of a scratchy curve, I was told I should advance like another 5 deg.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't feel like this is something that can be generally stated.
Personally the only way I would take timing off the factory spot is if I had a knock monitor and a dyno. Anything else and you are going to be shooting blind. Each persons motor will also be different.
My settings at 7000 feet and running my premium of 91 octane might be very different or may be very similar to someone at sea level running 93 but you can't be sure unless you tested them proper.
Keeping it at the stock setting should be very near optimum while maintaining some buffer for different gas quality, elevation and all the other variables that could come into play.
If your car is a DD, is mostly stock or is not pushing the absolute limits of performance then I would just leave it.
If your car is exempt from any of the above then get it set up how you want it and take it to a dyno with all the proper monitoring equipment to maximize the tune.

Crownvicman289
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crownvicman289 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:54 pm

I ran advanced timing with mixed race gas for a while, made the car less gutless. For road trips though, I set it back to the stock 10 degrees. The stock curve blows and it really is best set at 10 degrees, the car didn't seem to pull as good up top with the advanced timing but it killed off the part throttle bog and gave a lot more torque.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 am

I would never use the factory timing unless it had to pass an emissions test.

Crownvicman289
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crownvicman289 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 am

Allen, that works for the low comp bigports, but it IS NOT a good idea on a blacktop to advance beyond factory timing values unless you're running high enough octane fuel. Even then, it has its drawbacks which I outlined above.