PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO SPAM

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Red
Club4AG Expert

PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO SPAM

Postby Red » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 am

It looks like EVERY REPLY has to be manually and individually deleted in order to clean it up.

So when you reply to the spam instead of just REPORTING IT WITH THE ! ICON, you create a mess and an administrative nightmare. Pretty much the same or worse than the original spam.

The first person to report the spam with the ! icon will report it, after that you'll see a message that it has been reported, and it will be dealt with.

But all the replies do, is make the situation worse. So please, don't do that.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

86 Corolla
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO SPAM

Postby 86 Corolla » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 am

Ever since this new or rebuilt C4AG, all things went to crap. That includes years and years of members IDs, informative tech posts, member sharing knowledge posts, build posts, etc. This lost data makes the search button useless. Instead, we got this new gay light blue background color, more FRS, and spam galore. Not sure what happened. Oh well, because I love the damn ae86 and have some great friends here, I'll take this new forum for whatever it is ...including the spam ;)

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

In my limited understanding of things, what happened is that the folks who were hosting the old site basically went AWOL and took access to everything away with them. So, we all got big-time hosed, especially Moto. Not just a server crash, but a total disaster of the kind no one expects.

This new "look" is apparently the default for the forum software, you'll see a lot of it on the web. There aren't too many forum software pacakges out there, and most of the stink in one way or another. Or as they say:

"Life is short, then you die."

Of course, the paid subscribers get a much nicer view of the forum, and a full search engine, you know. <VBG>

Much of the old forum is copied on the wayback machine at archive.org although access isn't quick or painless. A lot could be restored, but it would need many many volunteers all co-ordinated and investing weeks or months of time. Or a very good programmer, who could write a salvage tool to automate searching, grabbing, and reposting threads.

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

how do you become a paid subscriber?

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

VBG is internet-email-bbs shorthand for VERY BIG GRIN, as in, a joke.

There are no paid subscribers.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Red, I tried reporting this issue to koji a couple times in "report problems" section..
If anyone whos replied to it, if they went back & deleted them, would that help?
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks. That would probably work, but I think a lot has already been cleaned up.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Red wrote:Thanks. That would probably work, but I think a lot has already been cleaned up.

Ok good! Thanks..
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

AZNWOKZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AZNWOKZ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 am

Just recently. Mods has been reissued to do some clean spam clean up finally and taking requests.
Even with our currently mod List, There are MODS still on the list who are not active anymore.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:31 am

Yes, coming "home" to find the place was nuked while you were out, can be a bit discouraging.

I still think someone must know someone who could write some code that would suck threads out of the archive and let them be restored here, in one way or another. There are enough folks messing around with code these days...Someone? Anyone got a friend who wants to grow up and hack the world, or at least a part of it?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah discouraging is right & looks like it needs it again. IP address info email sent

Coming back on here to find a row of spam at each section again..Im sick of it
87 GTS Coupe

chemtrails
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chemtrails » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 pm

86 Corolla wrote:Ever since this new or rebuilt C4AG, all things went to crap. That includes years and years of members IDs, informative tech posts, member sharing knowledge posts, build posts, etc. This lost data makes the search button useless. Instead, we got this new gay light blue background color, more FRS, and spam galore. Not sure what happened. Oh well, because I love the damn ae86 and have some great friends here, I'll take this new forum for whatever it is ...including the spam ;)

true i know i am not the only one, I AM SICK OF SEEING FRS's
Failure to follow these instructions can result in death, serious injury, or equipment damage.