smallport head issue?

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

smallport head issue?

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

so at the biggining of this season I switched from a big port head to a smallport head on my 3 rib block. and ever since since I have been running into oil getting to were my plugs are and just pooling up and eventually seeping onto the plug and fouling it out! the drain that's at the back of the smallports ive just plugged because my block doesn't have it (being the 3 rib) ive checked valve cover gaskets and even those little threaded plugs that go down the middle of the 4age heads and ive even let it run and just waited for the oil to start coming out but I think its only happening under load so I don't know! any ideas?

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: smallport head issue?

Postby totta crolla » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Which inlet manifold are you using ?
Modded smallport or TVIS with smallport adaptor ?

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm

totta crolla wrote:Which inlet manifold are you using ?
Modded smallport or TVIS with smallport adaptor ?

I'm running weber dcoe 40 carbs with a bigport manifold and T3 adapter plate to mate it to the head

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 pm

There are really not too many possibilities for getting oil into the plug valley. If the
cam cover gaskets are still soft and not compressed flat, they should seal OK. And the
special rubber faced washers that go under the chrome nuts also have to be soft and
not baked hard. Once they go hard they are not reusable, and you need to dig deep
for a new set.

The one place that is not so obvious is the corner between the head surface and the
front cam cap. The FSM says to put a dab of "seal packing" (= high temp oil resistant
silicone) in those corners before installing the cam covers. The idea is to stop any
potential oil leakage, and if you missed that out I guess it could be possible for oil to
find its way into the plug valley. Obviously, it would fill from the front of the engine.

Clean it off, give it a short run and then inspect.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 am

Where is the cam cover breather going to ?

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:59 am

If your getting oil in the spark plug area you need new gaskets, like jondee says

Take the vavle covers off. Clean the matting surface if it has oil residue or its dirty then put a fresh pair of gaskets and make sure that they dont fall out of the groove or bind when you tighten them down.

Also check spark plugs how old are they and are they sealing and are they torque down?? I seen spark plugs cracked, strip if they are bad enough could leak oil but also means have a bit of blow by..

GL