First drive after gts swap, car struggling.

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

First drive after gts swap, car struggling.

Postby broku-hachi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:46 pm

Hey guys, So just "finished" my gts swap into my sr5. Tried to go for my first drive around the block. It actually moved under it own power! But....the car felt like it was really struggling to get it up past 20mph and felt extremely sluggish the whole time. I'm not sure where to go from here. What would be my next step in diagnosing this problem?

Complete gts conversion

The motor is just a plain swap, not rebuilt, idles around 900( no p/s or a/c.).

Wiring harness all from a zenki gts.

Right now no exhaust past down pipe.

Thanks
Broku-hachi

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Re: First drive after gts swap, car struggling.

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:25 am

Did you check your timing? Could be a ton of things.....did you change the fuel system with fuel lines as well?

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 am

sr5 fuel lines and tank were swapped with gts, new standard rated fuel pump as well.

messing around today, figured out its only running on cylinders 2 & 4. I do have spark on all 4 cylinders. Going to try and check fuel injection system tomorrow.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 am

Check to see you the spark plug leads are switched at the cap. Dave W

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:33 pm

The leads are in the correct order.

I didn't get to mess with it to much today. I was going through the diagnostic manual, and was about to check if the injectors were functioning, when the injector pigtails completely disintegrated and I said, "fcuk it, I'll do it later."

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:52 am

Status update:

Replaced all injector plugs with new ones and the car runs cherry. For anyone who is interested, you can buy new fuel injector plugs at rock auto for dirt cheap.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Nice, what i need is injector plugs, they look awfull to say the least, how much was the set of injectors? Thanks

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 am

I ended up spending 3 bucks a piece. Only thing is that you have to reuse your old injector connector rubber boots. Mine were ratty, so I found some at the junk yard. If you really wanna go cheap and don't need brand new, I found most dohc cars from around the same age share the same type of injector plug connector.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:47 pm

broku-hachi wrote:I ended up spending 3 bucks a piece. Only thing is that you have to reuse your old injector connector rubber boots. Mine were ratty, so I found some at the junk yard. If you really wanna go cheap and don't need brand new, I found most dohc cars from around the same age share the same type of injector plug connector.
wow!!!! That is a heck of a deal, saw a set on ebay was about to jump on them for 50bux shipped, but ill try rockauto , thanks again...my father is a mechanic and he always taught me for every single go fast performance mod you do, you have to do 2 or 3 maintenance and reliability jobs on your car and that is so true, whats the point in having all these bass ass performance parts and have your injector pigtails or tps not working to spec set you back haha