My GSI Hatch

random_tox
Club4AG Regular

My GSI Hatch

Postby random_tox » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 am

Last month a race buddy and I both found 4AGE cars in Boise and bought them. Another friend alerted him to a Prizm GSI, the very rare hatch variety, with only some cosmetic issues. Since I figured there'd be a trip to Idaho coming up, I shopped CL and discovered a pretty nice looking FX16 GTS with a blown head gasket. We bought the cars for $900 and $800 respectively. We drove up together and caravaned home. A week later we decided to trade. So the GSI hatch is mine! (I already have an FX16 GTS.)

random_tox
Club4AG Regular

Re: My GSI Hatch

Postby random_tox » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 am

Loving the bubble-butt!

Now inspected, registered, and wearing the studded tires, the GSI hatch has been a great winter weapon. The last few weeks have been especially snowy around here, and I've taken it up snowboarding quite a bit.

Eibach EU has a Pro Kit for the AE92. I found a great deal (gone now) on Amazon.co.uk.

I'm trying do decide on my MK3 MR2 wheels, or Enkie RPF1. Probably the factory MR2 5-spokes, like this Seca. Image

random_tox
Club4AG Regular

Postby random_tox » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm

I suppose there could be some question of why would anyone be enthusiastic about some dumpy GM hatchback. The Prizm GSI is actually a pretty interesting and rare bird, besides being a blast to drive and practical car.

Most know the Prizm is a rebadged Corolla, built at the joint Toyota/GM NUMMI plant in California (now serving as the Tesla plant). The GSI version, built on the Corolla AE92 chassis, has all mechanical goodies found on the same generation Corolla GTS coupe, including 4 wheel disk brakes, a sports suspension, and the 4AGE engine. Not just any 4AGE, but the 1990+ small-port variety that was good for 130 HP.

I wonder if my engine has been replaced. Other GSIs I’ve owned had a plain exhaust cam cover instead of a big “Toyota”.

The body itself has some Toyota nerd appeal. The 4 door liftback AE92 Corolla was sold in various global markets, but was a Prizm exclusive in the US. It’s a love it or hate it design. Personally I love it’s simple shape, bulbous greenhouse, and minimal adornment.

I must be a minority because only a few were built and sold. I’m not sure how many non-GSI Prizm hatches there are, I rarely see them in person or on the webs, but there were only 830 GSI hatchbacks built all years combined. (This according to my nerdy friend who called and got the numbers from GM, and published on his site PrismGSI.com.) Many of those have been crushed by now. They are a very desirable 4AGE donor.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Nice find! What year is it? I wonder if GM ran out of their "plain" valve covers and had to use the Toyota 1600 ones on the exhaust side. Or if it's the other way around, and the early models might have had them. Interesting in any case. Does the ex side cover have the three mounting tabs at the bottom edge for the spark plug plate?

Sad to hear that there were only 830 produced. I'm wondering if there was a GSI in the 1989 year because then it would likely have been a bigport 4A-GE. I know the E80 chassis Chevy Novas had a trim level with the bigport 4A-GE.

Sadly the only GSI hatch I've seen in the past several years was in a junkyard. It got hit pretty badly on the passenger side. It was doubly strange for being an automatic.

'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

random_tox
Club4AG Regular

Postby random_tox » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 am

So much stuff I would have wanted from that junkyard car :'(

Mine's a 91. (I also have a white 92 sedan, but I'll either flip it or gut it.)

It has all the tabs for both the spark plug cover and the valley cover, if that's what you mean. So it's a smallport cam cover.

GSI was only 90-92.

The Nova Twin Cam was 88 only and supposedly only 900 were made. A buddy had this one turn up in his neighborhood here in Salt Lake last year. Image

There was a super-clean Nova Twin Cam at a Portland dealership a while ago that I regret not snapping up.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:33 am

random_tox wrote:.... at a Portland dealership a while ago that I regret not snapping up.

assuming you are in the PDX area??? I'd be interested in a GSi as well.... if you come across another... OR need to sell yours.........
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

random_tox
Club4AG Regular

Postby random_tox » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I live in Salt Lake, but Portland is within my car purchasing radius when terms and car are favorable. I found the Nova Twin Cam just searching Google or Craigslist. Price was over $3k but it was original low mileage condition. Regret not having moved on the opportunity.

I could probably be talked out of my white GSI sedan. Message me if you want to discuss it. I don't have a firm plan for it. I'd sort of like to steal the small port for my my FX16, combined with a 6 speed I have laying around. Also think about finding some nice condition low mileage AE92 and moving all the GSI goodies into it.

It’s low on my project priority list though and I could be motivated to sell it. It drives great. It has oil leaks. Compression was low but pretty even around 155. Interior is pretty sad. Body pretty poor.

naked8689

Postby naked8689 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:26 am

so cool. can't wait to see more!

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:38 pm

random_tox wrote:
I could probably be talked out of my white GSI sedan.

I have an All=Trac sedan right now.... I was more interested in the hatchback..... anyway... best of luck
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:15 am

I've said this before, but you 'coasties with your unrusted cars just waiting for a home make my stomach hurt.