Island_DC5s Zenki Coupe Street Build

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Island_DC5s Zenki Coupe Street Build

Postby Island_DC5 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:55 am

Whats up to all the Club4AG Folks....

My names Rob. Im a deep down Honda guy, as my name reads lol, however right now Ive gone Toyota *obviously* haha. (Heres my thread for my DC5 if anyone cares to take a look http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.ph ... &highlight) Still love my DC5, but wanted to get into sliding/RWD. I tried to get my hands on a GTS in 2013 but never found one. Came out to Japan so definitely decided to go for it here after a long thought process between the many different JDM options that are available. My buddy Zack, who's on this forum too, nudged me to slap a build thread together for this car, which I usually just do the end pictures of the build because I dont do too well documenting the process. This time around though I happen to have a good amount of pictures from my phone so figured why not....And here we go...

29 March 14 - So after searching a bit, found an 84' Trueno Coupe with 156km that looked pretty clean from the pictures and was a reasonable price. I couldnt take a look at it in person due to distance but I eventually made the decision to purchase it. There were issues with the shipping company at the time so I bought a bullet train ticket, picked the car up and drove it 6hrs back to my place. It ended up having a sound motor, minimal rust, few aftermarket addons and Id say normal issues youd see on a 30yr old car. Heres the pictures after I picked it up...

Also, on Instagram now as well @rubbertoe702 if you wanna follow. :)

Did some minor maitenance to it and within the first two weeks I picked up Largus coilovers, and an Upgarage straight pipe blastpipe exhaust. The coilovers arent anything special, I just wanted to get some slam and so went with those.

And how she looked after susp install, all four maxed out w/ ride height...

Since mine came with an open diff, it was time to get some type of LSD in. Went ahead and purchased an overhauled TRD 2way from Zack's friend, Hamanaka-san. Heres some shots of Hamanaka's friend who put my diff together, who was referred to me as 'Deaf Guy' because hes deaf lol but dude is a badass mechanic.

In this photo Hamanaka is on the right. And in the garage, some of you might recognize that Levin coupe, which was featured on Speedhunters. I flipped when I saw that car in there after seeing it online and what not all the time. Hamanaka went on to tell me about how him and his friends built that car. Deaf guy built the engine harness and Hamanaka did the motor work.

Shot of me and Zack at the top of our morning touge run...Good times.

15 May 14 - And heres where I have my setback lol. Being that I wanted to get into sliding, I decided to get some seattime with some buddies and hit the touge. For someone with no experience, touge is the worst place to learn contrary to Initial D lol. So yup...went on to smack the guardrail, destroying most my front end which made it quite an interesting night as I drove the car 1hr ish back to my place with it banged up haha.

There wasnt any frame damage thankfully, so I decided to go ahead and rebuild it and put it back on the road. Heres a shot after tear down, getting ready to go to my Hamanakas friends garage to have the front end pulled and a new radiator support welded in.

Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 am, edited 7 times in total.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Re: Island_DC5s Zenki Coupe Street Build

Postby Island_DC5 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:57 am

Back from the body shop and ready to be reassembled. Trueno front end parts are a bit more expensive out here than levin and a little harder to find so went and rebuilt it levin to save some money and just get it back on the road asap.

My car sits in this stage pretty much from July till now November while I acquired parts and what not...decided to clean the car up and make it look nice atleast before I go back out and get seat time, just because lol. And my seattime will be in the form of circuit only from now on lol no more touge.

Attended 86 Day events at Fuji Speedway and Daikoku. Saw and met Keiichi Tsuchiya at FSW that day. Check this link for more pictures from that day. https://www.flickr.com/photos/97727047@ ... 244019713/

Now for parts lol....

Sickspeed Black extended lug nuts with 24k gold caps.

Meister CR01s 15 x 9 -31 and 15 x 9.5 -37, both O Disc. Custom silver finish.

Test fit on stock flared fenders lol definitely a no go.

195/45 Federal 595 for the fronts. 195/50 Toyo DRB for the rear. Run Free Type II front bumper and Origin sideskirts

Also in that list were the Impulse's newly released overfender kit. I wanted an aggressive style similar to the S13s/14s/15s/Rocket Bunny and those flares fit the vision I had, and they are new too and who doesnt love newly released parts lol.

Fast forward to Now, November...majority of parts acquired, time for install...
Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sat May 30, 2015 7:00 am, edited 6 times in total.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:57 am

Now were at Deaf guys shop again, who did the cutting for my fenders.

Last time I would see it with stock fenders...I was nervous haha.

Fenders cut and welded and some pre mock up before install...

Got the rears mostly on in about 2.5hrs...saved the rest for the next day.

Arrived at the shop 10am sharp to knock it out...front fenders cut and ready for fronts to be mocked and installed. Front bumper being installed at the same time too (obviously) lol...

Finished the flares/front bumper after about 5ish hrs...

Installed the sideskirts last...dropped the rear some more...and bam...done. Zip tied plate is just temporary so I could drive it home.

I honestly neglected the car the whole time Ive owned it till now lol especially after the wreck, so went to wash the car for the first time ever and then snapped some pics of the final product. Paint will happen in the next few weeks, Ive have a lot of other small additions and stuff in mind as well...will post more as it goes. Thanks for looking!

My homie Rickys S13...91 Boyz!! Hahah

Last edited by Island_DC5 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

F1ashpoinT
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby F1ashpoinT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 am

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out, car looks great so far.

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Looked so clean in the beginning, gutted about the crash. Looks better now with the levin front, bit biased tho as i prefer levins. :twisted:
FLAWLESS VICTORY

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 am

F1ashpoinT wrote:Can't wait to see how the paint turns out, car looks great so far.

Thanks! Ya hopefully going into paint next week.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 am

-zenki- wrote:Looked so clean in the beginning, gutted about the crash. Looks better now with the levin front, bit biased tho as i prefer levins. :twisted:

Yeah it was pretty clean lol crash definitely did suck. But I think about it and my build would have went a completely different route if I hadnt crashed. I still prefer my Trueno front haha, levin is cool though. I appreciate both. I feel Levin coupe though > trueno coupe.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:57 am

Wow I can't find clean rear fenders anywhere to replace the rusted parts of mine and you cut clean original fenders right off? :(
Wish I could have taken the fenders from you haha. Good luck with your build.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:43 am

Grant wrote:Wow I can't find clean rear fenders anywhere to replace the rusted parts of mine and you cut clean original fenders right off? :(
Wish I could have taken the fenders from you haha. Good luck with your build.

Haha. They werent completely clean, the previous owner appeared to have side swiped something during a turn and one of the fenders was bent in. I get what youre saying though still lol. And Thanks!

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:57 am

Small update. Wired up/put in my koukis, fogs, and corners. Probably rock this front setup for a bit, probably switch between this and zenki grill at some point.

Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Dont really have much for an updated. Cars been at paint for a week now...finally decided on my color after about three days of looking at samples. Hopin it comes out good...

My painter Ryohei mixin up the goodness...

Current state lol...

Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

EJ86
Club4AG Expert

Postby EJ86 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:55 am

From original to hot. I enjoy looking at the pics. nice build. Keep it up...
8-)
-1985 Toyota Corolla GTS (2door)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/561054
-2004 Nissan Frontier (King Cab):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072528

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:36 am

EJ86 wrote:From original to hot. I enjoy looking at the pics. nice build. Keep it up...
8-)

Thanks man!

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 am

I posted this one in the Coupe picture thread. Figured Id include it since it shows all the stages the cars been in, the last one is how it looked the day I took it into paint.

The car actually has color on most parts at the moment, I slacked a little on updating this. But this is how its been the last 2.5 weeks. Progress is moving smooth. Car should be ready in about 3 days or so.

While the car has been in paint...I ordered up the last little interior bits so that they could arrive by the time the car was out of paint. And here they are....

This rail lol despite everything else I picked up during this process, is one thing that I felt in my wallet most...I guess because its brand new and so I spent double on what a used one would have cost me. There werent any used ones for sale at the time so I went ahead and ordered a new one =/.

Zeta III for myself.....Digo for the passenger....and Nardi 330 Deep Wood to take care of the steering feels lol. I also ordered some floor mats too for the front so my carpet doesnt get destroyed...but didnt take any pictures of those haha.

This is what I got for now...the next update should be the complete shots once everything is in, etc. Thanks for looking :)
Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boost187
Club4AG Regular

Postby Boost187 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am

Sick build keep up the good work!!!
86 Corolla GTS hatch #2015 Project
93.5 Supra TT 6 Speed
02 Tacoma S-Runner
07 Yamaha R1
09 Lexus LS460L

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:15 am

Bit late with this one, sorry....here we go...!

Below is basically where it all started...the OG photoshop I did which would become my vision and goal for the car. Created after Stancenation Japan, photoshopped from Odk and Satos car lol. From vision to reality...

Many have asked what the color code is...its not a candy apple red, but a custom mix based from a Mitsubishi Red. Took me FOREVER to choose the shade of red and I was honestly tired of looking at color samples at that point. Lol I was a bit worried if the color would come out as I wanted but things ended up working out in the end. :)

Trying to match samples to my photoshop.

8. Image

9. Image

10. Image

11. Image

12. Image

13. Image

14. Image

16. Image

17. Image

18. Image

19. Image

20. Image

27. Image

24. Image

25. Image

26. Image

Managed to break the inner recline handle on the digo before it ever made it into my car lol GG...piece of **** plastic handles haha.

28. Image

29. Image

30 Image

31. Image

Down from the paint booth and ready for assembly...

2. Image

3. Image

OEM Visors...one of my favorite addons lol. Sprayed matte black...

4. Image

5. Image

6. Image

7. Image

And shes complete.

1. Image
Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sun May 31, 2015 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:31 am

I took these pictures just so I could have something to use as my submission photos for Wekfest, but these ended up turning out way better than I intended and became pretty popular soon as I posted them. Wasnt meant for them to be a full shoot or anything lol Im not an aspiring photographer or anything like that...I just have a mediocre setup, nothing fancy. Heres a link to the high res if anyone wants to look.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/97727047@ ... 746888061/

This is where the car is today. I plan on trying to get some motor stuff done before the summer, but we'll see how it goes.

And one of my favorites, inspired by the homie Ricky (black dude in the photos above lol!). I took the original photo randomly but after seeing Rickys phase/stages photo, I went back to that same spot to document each of the stages showing the progress from when I bought it in April 14 to now, Dec 14. Thanks for looking!

And my buddy Cory took a cool little behind the scenes video from that day..check it out! (anyone know how to embed the video in the post? I tried some stuff but nothing worked =/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q81L_Wins
Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sat May 30, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1ashpoinT
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby F1ashpoinT » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Paint choice is so good, one of the best looking coupes out there.

candamo
Club4AG Regular

Postby candamo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:39 am

Very nice coupe showing off the new impulse fenders :shock:
What front bumper you using?

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 am

Wow this car is amazing! great work!! I love all the progress pics as well, can't wait for my car to be done :D

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:18 am

F1ashpoinT wrote:Paint choice is so good, one of the best looking coupes out there.

candamo wrote:Very nice coupe showing off the new impulse fenders :shock:
What front bumper you using?

EvoSolley wrote:Wow this car is amazing! great work!! I love all the progress pics as well, can't wait for my car to be done :D

Thanks guys! Appreciate it! :D

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 am

That car is sexy, hnnngg

FLAWLESS VICTORY

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Any plans for engine/drivetrain and chassis modifications??
@_yotaholic

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:26 am

Long overdue update...sorry lol.

So last update was the pretty much finish of the ext/int. I got accepted into Wekfest and wanted to try and make engine/bay changes in the remaining three months I had till the show. I had planned to do motorwork anyway but now it was trying to do it all before the show, once again lol. Original plan was to build my 16v or drop in a blacktop, and do some bay cleaning and maybe a respray/tuck. I had saved up some money and had about 8 weeks left to make some moves. I would have liked a blacktop but couldnt find any decent ones at the time, and then to order all the supporting parts needed would have made me miss the timeline as well. Instead, searching through yahoo auctions I had found a pretty awesome built 16v that had everything I had planned to do had I built mine and even more. Hit up my good homie Hamanaka and after some heated bids between a few others and us lol...we won the auction for the motor.

The specs on the motor are...

AE101 Block, crank, conn. rods
AE101 ITBs
16v Port & Polished head
HKS 264/256 cams
Adjustable cam gears
Toda Valvesprings
235cc injectors
TRD Headgasket
81.5mm pistons
RS Yasu Intake adapter
Freedom ECU...so came tuned as well.

The motor had arrived then waited a bit because I needed a few things such as a new TPS connector, injector connectors, throttle cable...could have used my stock header but ordered a Fujitsubo Super EX, got a test pipe, clutch, and TRD motor mounts. Once those all arrived me and a few friends went to work.

Got to the shop and the first day just focused on getting everything out.

Lifted the car and looked at my header lol...its seen better days.

Because of the n00b I am lol, I didnt know to completely take out the shifter and it kept hitting the tunnel so we wasted a good hour or so struggling with that before we got it out lol.

After it was out, we grabbed a truck and headed over to Hamanakas to grab the motor. Got the motor to the shop and cleaned the trans/motor, then started pulling and swapping the accessories to the new motor and that was it for day one.

Got back to the shop early again the next day and finished installing the clutch/trans and put it back in.

Lol keepin things light around the shop...

We finished everything by day two and got the car out the shop. This is how it looked right after.

The motor/tune ran pretty smooth for the most part. When we went to remove the heater hoses, the hardpipe was mated with the hose so the hardpipe just snapped off lol so now I'll have to replace those sometime. I think that was the only real shitty thing. Car started right up though once we dropped it in. Had some coolant leaks right after, fixed those. Then after driving some, noticed 1st to 2nd was extra hard to get in. Thought it was something we did wrong with the clutch install, but not all gears were difficult to engage. Adjusted the clutch pedal and noticed my master was leaking. Didnt drive the car for the first week after the swap while waiting for the new CMC to get in. Replaced that and rebled the lines, still no fix. Took it to Hamanaka to take a look and he pulled the shifter and the fluid was a milky white. I had put fresh fluid in after the swap, but what we figured out was that when we pressure washed the trans, water got in that we didnt even think about. Got some new fluid and flushed out the trans and was good to go finally.

With the main issue out of the way, it was time to address the bay further and clean things up some. Spent a good whole day in the parking lot running the harness under the manifold, extending wires and cleaning some things up.

I also ordered some AN fuel line to replaced the stock fuel hose that was a bit kinked around the ITBs, so installed that as well. The new line let me route it better and helped clean things us some too. After all that , this is how the bay sat. And still pretty much looks like that now.

Last edited by Island_DC5 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:27 am

The next day..I got something in the mail I had been waiting for since January....the June 2015, annual Japan issue of Super Street Magazine was finally out which featured my car. Super stoked to finally see that in the flesh as Ive got plenty of copies of past issues. Pretty surreal.

The last update I would receive before the show was the pair of Star Road Glow Stars I had ordered. I had wanted to rock a mesh look with the CR01s and also was trying out a slightly less aggressive spec to see how they fit. Theyre 9.5 -27 and give just the clearance I was looking for.The rear CR01s are too aggressive at the moment, and the only reason my fenders havent been destroyed by my wheels is because Im running about an inch or so of travel right now and while it saves my fenders, the ride is rough as **** and sucks lol but sometimes you just put up with things. The set will eventually become my spare rears, but for now Im rocking them for a different look on each side. Big thanks to Adam from 7Tune and Shoji Inoue for pulling strings at Work for me so that I was able to get them in time for the show!

We prestretched the tires for about a week and a half prior to but these tires were being an ultra bitch to mount for some reason, but after 10hrs we finally got them on.

The much awaited time to roll to Wekfest was finally here. Was a long 6hr drive west to Nagoya from Tokyo so taped up the front, grabbed some snacks at my local 711 (which are amazing compared to US 711) and hit the road.

Got a shot of a Nismo 34 I ran into at a rest stop with Fuji in the back as well. Climbed that btw last year, pain in the ass haha but definitely recommend if you ever visit during climbing season.

Met up with some nice Hondas and an awesome Evo X at my hotel parking lot in Nagoya.

There was a dope premeet the night before Wekfest that had a lot of everything including these badboys. Can see the rest of my pics from the meet here. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... df59c1f8f1

Got about 4 hours of sleep and it was time to head to the venue. Definitely the highlight of Wekfest for me was getting to meet and chill with Sato-san and the rest of the Bad Quality crew. Sato had been a huge inspiration for the build, along with Takus 86 and many others.

Like many other Japanese that Ive met out here, the Bad Quality guys were super cool and very hospitable. Definitely looking forward to meeting up with them again for another event sometime in the future.

Even wanted to take a shot with my car which was awesome haha.

We were all in the same roll in group so we were able to park next to each other during the show. Good times...

Some shots of my car from the show by Joey aka The Chronicles. stickydiljoe.com check him out! My favorite blog since back when I was still driving my DC5 around.

You can see my photos from the show here https://www.flickr.com/photos/97727047@ ... 2388059861 - in there you'll find shots too of the Car Peace AE86s which had the most killer engine bay setups. Really awesome builds.

Wekfest weekend had now come and gone. And a few days later the Treadstone Performance vacuum block finally came in too that I ordered to replace the custom unit that came with the motor from the previous owner so went and put that in real quick. Its tucked up under the ITBs.

Aaaaand thats pretty much how the build sits for now. Only plans I really have now are to continue upgrading/cleaning up the engine bay, work out some minor kinks here and there, make it more reliable if I can... and get my rear suspension squared away. Im trying to take some vacation as well in the next few months so parts money will be sparce but hopefully get some new updates in the upcoming months. Thanks for reading! Peace! 8-)

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sun May 31, 2015 12:30 pm

Nice build man. That show/meetup looks like a ton of fun.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sun May 31, 2015 2:01 pm

There's a lot of hype stuff in here, man. Keep it up! :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:51 am

Great build and great story!

Island_DC5
Club4AG Regular

Postby Island_DC5 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:02 am

aceforever wrote:Nice build man. That show/meetup looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks. Yeah had a blast! Was a long drive and a long weekend but met of a ton of cool people definitely and saw a bunch of dope cars.

Clouds wrote:There's a lot of hype stuff in here, man. Keep it up! :)

haha for sure.

Toy86 wrote:Great build and great story!

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:55 pm

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/06/hachiroku-life/ I was reading this article when all of a sudden, it struck me that I'd seen this car before. The fenders reminded me of this build and I remembered that it was your car.

Congrats on getting posted to Speedhunters! :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.