The greater search for knowledge

Voridiani

The greater search for knowledge

Postby Voridiani » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 pm

So I grew up with a deep love of cars but a serious lack of knowledge on cars. ill steal the line from mitch hedgeberg and say when I have a car problem I reach for my toolbox AKA wallet. That is a problem I would like to fix. my wife has given approval for me to get my own AE86 and do a restomod. im a great solo learning with some instructions I can follow. That's where im running into problems Ive been looking all over the web for instructions on how to remove the 4AGE and break it down to block then rebuild it back up. I have a pretty decent chunk of about 20k$ to drop into it to make my 86 of my dreams and 5 years of free time to do it in. All I need is the knowledge of how to do it properly.

I know ive came to the right place to get everything I need to make my 86.

Thanks ahead of time.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: The greater search for knowledge

Postby totta crolla » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:32 am

This is a good place but I'm not sure anywhere on the internet is the right place to be honest, too many people with too many opinions and bouncing one persons opinion off of another persons opinion will not gain you many friends !
Get a copy of the Toyota service manuals, they are available for Chassis and engine then work your way through.
There are quite a few standard workshop procedures that seasoned technicians take for granted so an evening course at College may be something worth considering if you are totally new to this stuff.
There are certain people on this forum who have lots of knowledge about the AE86, ignore them at your peril !

Welcome by the way :)

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:19 am

totta crolla had some really good advice, so I will not repeat that ... here is the rest of my .02 though.

I started in at a similar place in the mid 90's with Hondas. It took a combination of books, car meets (pick out the people that have built multiple cars), and a completely failed strip and rebuild project. Do not strip your car right off the bat with the intention of putting it back together on your first build. That might seem like common sense, but it can be way to easy to start on one part of the car, and move on to the next before you finish with the previous ... before you know it, you have a carcass and no motivation.
Instead build up specific areas, get them completed, and then move onto the next. On the AE86 I would suggest starting with the steering. If you do a manual rack conversion there is enough research to get you used to what level of detail you as an individual need to complete each task, and there is little enough that you will not get your self into trouble if you wind up needing help from a mechanic or friend.
There is a third avenue available for learning mechanics these days. Youtube. Look for videos put out by professional shops.

Here is a good article on power steering conversions and the different combinations there of that will work to get you started if you choose to take my suggestion.
http://www.hachiroku.net/powman

Good Luck

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:40 am

When it comes to service, repair and diagnosis IMO there is nothing better than the FSM. Get familiar with it, get comfortable with using it and follow it and you will do well. When it comes to mechanical components like engine and trans if you rebuild components back to factory specs it should go another 200k miles.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:40 am

One more vote for having a FSM. Keep an eye on Ebay. They pop up pretty regularly for under $50 and it's really worth having the actual book instead of bits and pieces of it in PDF form.

A few things to keep in mind with these (and any old car):
* Parts that have been together for nearly 30 years like to stay that way. Take your time when disassembling things. It's easy to get frustrated and break out the BFH to get things to come apart. It's rarely necessary with these cars.
* Don't throw anything away. There are many parts on these cars that have long since been out of production. You can literally search for a year or more to find certain items (smog stuff is a good example.) Even if you think you will never use something, hang on to it because you just might change your mind later or a first timer might need it and you're the guy that saves the day for him.
* Find your local expert. I'd bet there is a guy in your area that has been wrenching on his Corolla for 10 years or more. Find that guy. He will be way more help than asking stuff on the internet and he probably has the specialized tools too.
* When rebuilding anything from under the engine bay, engine, alternator, power steering pump, etc, measure everything before spending any money. The service manual has all of the measurement specs and method of measuring them. Moving parts have the tendency to wear out if not properly maintained or just because of 30 years of use. I've seen too many guys replace a head gasket, assume the head is flat and when they fill it up with coolant and oil, it comes pouring out the exhaust.
* LIsten to, but don't trust the seller of the car you buy. Memories fade, people forget, people lie. Inspect it for yourself before taking it for granted that what you were told is fact.
* Don't be in a hurry to get a car. There are always cars for sale. Around the SF Bay Area, it seems like there is always a car or two that comes well equipped, but has a blown head gasket, ring & pinion needs replacement, etc. Buying a built or partially built car is nearly always cheaper than building one completely yourself.
* The prevailing knowledge isn't always right. People tend to read over what TRD did 30 years ago in Japan and assume that is the best thing to do today. Tires have changed in 30 years, brake pads have changed in 30 years, oil has changed in 30 years. Don't be afraid to experiement on your own a bit when it makes sense.
* Do some kind of motorsports with your car once it's running safely and reliably. These are amazingly fun motorsports cars. I autocross, track and drift my car and all are really fun in an AE86. You're not going to set any lap records or become the next Dai Yoshihara in one, but don't let that stop you.

I hope that helps.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 am

All of the above plus....
What have you done & what have you attempted to do and F'd up doing it???????
Bicycles & model airplane engines & lawnmowers & motorcycles or even home electrical & plumbing & carpentry in any part of your background?
Tools & workspace & skilled advise/help readily available?
Forget the Factory manuals that are not for training but wonderful to look at and get any & everything Automotive, Machinist and Small Engine repair from the local High School library, also work books/training manuals from one or more of those ripoff mechanic training places that heavily advertise on your TV.
Good Luck.

Voridiani

Postby Voridiani » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Thank you all for the replies. ive tried looking for some college classes on this subject but in my town im not finding anything.

Ive got a slew of tools that have been handed down to me. I do plan on going and spending 500 or so on some things. I need a air compressor and wratchet attachments for it. that way I can also spray my own primer. a decent ginder and just some other odds and ends.

chocobot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chocobot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Voridiani wrote:..when I have a car problem I reach for my toolbox AKA wallet. That is a problem I would like to fix. my wife has given approval for me to get my own AE86..
..about 20k$ to drop into it to make my 86 of my dreams and 5 years of free time to do it in.
Thanks ahead of time.

I think you need to fix bigger problem first. You need to stop having people dictate what you can and can't have. What you can and can't do. You need to grow a pair mate. Improve your quality of life.
Do your wife a favor and just head over to the classifieds and pick up something nice and ready to go :)
Save yourself a couple years of getting scolded for spending an increasing amount time and money on a car instead of her.

Welcome to Club4AG
Your skill in reading has increased by one point.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 pm

If you don't want to wait for ebay for a FSM (factory service manual), you can frequently get them from here - http://www.faxonautoliterature.com

You don't need an air compressor, and unless you KNOW what you are doing... it is likely far better for you to NOT use air tools...

http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pag ... TOOLS.html
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 am

FSM, FSM, FSM... everything is covered in it. Without it, I would have had to backyard even more than my car already is.

Download the manual for free.99

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am

Like everyone said FSM is something really nice to have, takes the guess work out of everything when ordering parts ( if your going for a complete OEM rebuild). But, if i may suggest, if you don't have much mechanical experience working on cars. One of the first things to get done on the car is replacing all the rubber parts ( i.e. bushings, motor and transmission mount). A) because they will need to be replaced and they are easy to replace B) It will get you a little more acquainted with the underside of the car.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 am

Voridiani wrote: ive tried looking for some college classes on this subject but in my town im not finding anything.

Not college, High school auto shop or Vocational Training/continuing education for adults - night school stuff!