Car bogs down during hard turn!!!

GreenPanda

Car bogs down during hard turn!!!

Postby GreenPanda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:29 pm

As title states. My 86 bogs down when accelerating through a hard turn.. So you can imagine how unhappy an 86 owner would be.. Any suggestions?? Or where to look first?? It's an 85 gts with a red top 16v if that helps.

Thank you in advance for the help

ol86
Club4AG Regular

Re: Car bogs down during hard turn!!!

Postby ol86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 pm

My first though would be low fuel or weak fuel pump. Maybe something wrong with the pickup tube...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 pm

I agree with most of what ol86 said. I don't imagine it's likely the fuel pump would be effected by corners but if you go in to the tank I'd definitely plan on replacing it.
Before digging into the gas tank I would make sure the AFM is sitting how it's supposed to. Make sure it is sitting level. If it is at an angle it will be much more effected by gravity and potentially g forces.

GreenPanda

Postby GreenPanda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The fuel is above half full and the fuel pump was replaced recently.. However it's just an autozone fuel pump. How would one go about looking at the pick up tube?

The afm has been at the same angle it's been in the past couple years but I'll definitely level it out

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 pm

could be an sr5 non baffled tank. had an ae86 with an sr5 tank in it, would bog down during hard turns with less than 1/3 tank.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 pm

MisterJerk wrote:could be an sr5 non baffled tank. had an ae86 with an sr5 tank in it, would bog down during hard turns with less than 1/3 tank.

This. You either have a SR5 tank with no baffles, a phucked up GTS tank, or a pinched/kinked fuel feed line to the fuel filter. Either way, it's fuel starvation, i know that feel bro :x
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 am

If you're having fuel pickup problems caused by fuel sloshing around, it will feel like the engine dies and then comes back when you straighten the wheel again. I get this when I'm below 1/4 tank of fuel with a GTS tank, so don't expect to be able to go all the way down to reserve on track.