Where do I even begin? (yup, smog related)

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Where do I even begin? (yup, smog related)

Postby BlackStar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:12 am

I think I am at the point where I will sell this car. I just will no pass smog. the latest numbers.

This is a huge step back, the car is failing the 25mph test again. Sat 2 months in a shop, hoping they would fix it, apparently they made it worse. Where do I even begin?

Some notes. Fresh gas, correct vacuum routing, gapped the spark plugs (didn't before), CRC guaranteed to pass (LOL) Drove the car for a good 30 minutes.

btw, spak plug gap is supposed to be 1 mm, right?

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Where do I even begin? (yup, smog related)

Postby trigun402 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Have you done anything else to the car or do you know what the shop did?

Gsolo
Club4AG Regular

Postby Gsolo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:37 pm

running to much fuel. I'm assuming SR5 ?? Verify no vacuum leaks. Do a compression test to verify engine can even run efficiently. Possible carb problem, or O2 problem.

NOX looks ok so I wouldn't suspect catalytic converter at the moment

Air filter ok?
2007 Sequoia - Hauls everything
1995 4Runner - 1JZGTE VVTi
1986 AE86 SR5 Hatch - slow going 1UZ swap

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 pm

To answer some questions. The shop put a new catalytic converter on it. I found them aother carb, they kept on claiming it was getting better. When i got tired of waiting(roughly after a month of no updates on the car) i took it back home. I found a vacuum diagram for my model year, and re-did the routing. I also gapped the spark plugs. So they pretty much did a cat install, broke my muffler(high 02 numbers for that probably), and i never got a read out form them.

today i retested the car with a rebuilt carb. Better numbers, but still bad

I think what i will do is take apart the really bad carb, and see what needles it uses for the transition period between the cruise circuit and main circuit. That happens right at 15mph, probably why it runs so rich.