Trueno headlight malfunctioning

drifterkid86
Club4AG Regular

Trueno headlight malfunctioning

Postby drifterkid86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer from my phone.
So the problem is I have a USDM Trueno and the headlights worked fine they would go up and down as they should and both high and low beams would come on.
Last week I came home from work and turned off my headlights but they would not go down so I just left it in the off position and went in the house because this happened a few times before and would work the next day.

So the next morning I turned the lights on and they both lit up but when I turned them off only the drivers side light will go down, the passenger side will always stay up unless I manually put it down, I thought the motor might be bad but when I turn on the lights both sides will pop up if they are down its just the passenger side wont close once its open :/

So I was wondering if it could be the motor, relay, or a wiring issue (I remember reading toyota wired the headlights in a stupid way)?

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Trueno headlight malfunctioning

Postby maxpham » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm

It could be that the motors need to be reset. Try turning the headlight switch to position 4 (popped up/headlights off) and twisting the passenger side fully clockwise. After that, switch to position 0 (all down/off). Other than that it would be motor/retainer issue.

Shinchu
Club4AG Regular

Postby Shinchu » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 am

mine dont work either.
i have swapped motors and no difference. i never heard of this rest though, will give it a try when i get home!
*and yes i have a good working relay also.

every time i see the new corolla commercials and the AE86 gets shocked and lights flip up, i get a little sad mine dont work. :(

herro
Club4AG Regular

Postby herro » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 am

Mine had the same issue. I took out the motor and saw that one of the wires were getting old and had frayed (the few wires going into the motor). It keep ground out making the lights go up and down. I re soldered it and it worked fine ever since.

Lucifer D

Postby Lucifer D » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 am

Mine did a similar thing, and automatically went up and down multiple times on occasion.

Check the headlight relay locate
d behind the drivers headlight.

Remove from car, open relay case and check all board solder joints for cracks and cold solder joints.
Re-solder if necessary and test.

Fingers crossed it will be fixed.
Worked for me.