Another 86 rear coilover build need a little adivce

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Another 86 rear coilover build need a little adivce

Postby Tibby » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am

So as stated above im looking into doing a rear coilover setup using my tokico hts 102 ss shocks with a ebiach coilover sleeve im just a little confused on a top hat and also what can I use to hold the sleeve onto the shock? I took this pic from the old c4ag site this was sum1s setup so hopefully they reconize it lol, also on the hts102s what kinda top hats are these and what bottom clamp is that holding the sleve up and where can I buy these??? Thanks in advanced ;)

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Another 86 rear coilover build need a little adivce

Postby Tibby » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 am

So for the top hats I cant locate anything like these above so what im planning is getting a tall spring cap like such..Image and then add a metal tube spacer like they did here..Image but ill need to fill the spacer with a bushing or possibly getting a solid tube and drilling out the hole so that way there will be support. Hmmm? And for the bottom I looked up tube clamps and this seems to be the best and sturdyest looking one Image but it looks kinda tall maybe cut in half? What u guys think?

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 pm

I'd probably just use a piece of pipe that has an inner diameter that is close to the thread diameter on the shock shaft. You can stack a couple fender washers on top to give the bushings a solid base to sit on.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 am

Great idea gotzoom will look into it

soo I ran into an issue pulled off my shock this weekend and as u can see it has the dust cap and its pressed on so im torn between where to go with this, how do I take off sumthin pressed on a shock and should I cuz I will devalue my hts' s if I do I think? And if I use an angle grinder or sumthin I can risk damaging the piston so is there an easyer/safer way to do this? Image

and one more issue is lack of space for the coil inside the fender well against the fram should I just give sum love taps? Will get pix showing soon. Thnx again guys and just so u kno my reason behind this is cuz I love the hts' s and really wish I had height adjustability with them so hopefully I can acomplish this without destroying my dampers lol

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 am

What problem are you trying to solve? The dust shield or the mounting perch? If you want a dust shield on your new shocks, just buy a generic vinyl shock dust boot and slide it over the shock before you install everything. You can remove the factory bumpstops and use a bumpstop that slides over the shock shaft too. If your local auto parts shop needs a part number, try dust boots from a 1999-2005 Mazda Miata. They will work fine. If you just have a bare shock shaft and need a perch for the bushings to mount to, you're either going to need to buy a "stud mount kit" for your shocks or fab something up.

Here's what I did on a set of shocks that I built a few years ago. I bought extra jam nuts in the same thread as the shock shaft threads and enlarged the hole in the jam nut so that it could slide over the shock shaft. We then welded the nut to the shock shaft to serve as the perch. I used fender washers to create a larger perch surface for the bushings. Here's what it looked like when it was done.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am

Wow again smart and sorry I meant removing the mounting perch on the piston shaft at top in my pic. How do u get that off? And how did u weld the jam nut on? What kinda welder?

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:02 pm

We wrapped as much of the shaft as possible in wet towels to avoid damaging the chrome and keep any spatter from landing on it, then welded with a TIG. You need to get the job done as quickly as possible to avoid things getting too hot, so you should take it to an experienced TIG welder. If your shocks are servicable, doing this might make them difficult to service, so think things through before doing it.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Ok cool I can do that so how do I first cut off the mounting perch or cap shaped piece? Can I take it to a machine shop or maybe use a dremle to cut? I think and angle grinders to sketchy

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:50 am

I'd use a shop press. Normal arbors should hold enough of the dust sheld cap so that you can press the shaft off. It's not a good idea to cut it off, since you risk scoring the shaft.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Another 86 rear coilover build need a little adi

Postby Tibby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Yea my friend told me I can turn the shock upside down and hammer it off but I think ill go with the press at his shop, and in a dark road im travaling trying to recreate the top pic i got lucky, so a cool guy on here hit me up saying he thinks he could help me out with somthing surprising and o man was i shocked, heres a sneak peek of what im getting this weekend off him....:D