brake lights are on when car is off

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

brake lights are on when car is off

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 pm

brake lights stay on when the car is off, no key in the ignition no nothing I was walking inside looked back at the car and noticed the brake lights were on

what would cause this and how can i fix it? never had this issue before
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Re: brake lights are on when car is off

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 pm

check the switch at the pedal. Unplug it and see if the brake lights turn off. might just be some dirt in the switch or the wires could be shorting.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am

MisterJerk wrote:check the switch at the pedal. Unplug it and see if the brake lights turn off. might just be some dirt in the switch or the wires could be shorting.

I did just that and made sure the button that meets the pedal wasn't stuck, they turn off now so that's good im glad it's nothing else i'll keep an eye on it over the next couple days just to be on the safe side
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 am

Adjust it, that's why the switch is threaded & has a lock nut or just put a shim on the pedal's tab.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 pm

AFAIK, if that switch loosens up the lights won't turn on, so the odds are it is jamming or failing internally. I think I'd just replace it to make sure. 28? years on a "floor" switch must just be enough. Shouldn't be expensive.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:30 pm

There is a little rubber grommet on the pedal that meets with the switch, if that grommet is missing your lights will stay on all the time. Maybe yours fell off or something?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 pm

rumsawatti wrote:There is a little rubber grommet on the pedal that meets with the switch, if that grommet is missing your lights will stay on all the time. Maybe yours fell off or something?

hmm got a bigger picture? i can't see anything lol

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:14 pm

allencr wrote:Adjust it, that's why the switch is threaded & has a lock nut or just put a shim on the pedal's tab.

true true i'll get under the car tomorrow and see if i can adjust it properly had to work all day and didn't have time to really get in there and do it

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Red wrote:AFAIK, if that switch loosens up the lights won't turn on, so the odds are it is jamming or failing internally. I think I'd just replace it to make sure. 28? years on a "floor" switch must just be enough. Shouldn't be expensive.

funny you say that red i was thinking the same thing lol i don't want to be too cheap 28 years working is pretty amazing it'd be nice if i didn't have to change it out i have other stuff to pay for but i noticed now i have to tap the brake pedal a few times to get it to turn off after the car is off so maybe it does need to be adjusted

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah it sounds like it might be sticking. Some tinkering may fix it. Be careful about trying to clean it. I had one going out a couple years ago, and my attempt to clean it killed it completely.

If you determine it's bad I have a good working one available.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 pm

The part looks like this:
Im assuming it is part number 47131 here on this diagram and it goes in that bracket piece on the pedal with the hole, under the collar.
Sorry I cant find/get a better pic. When your pedal is not depressed the cushion presses on the bottom of the switch, so it should be directly under the switch. I cant say 100% that this is your problem, however my cushion fell off before and I had the same problem with brake lights staying on all the time.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 pm

rumsawatti wrote:The part looks like this:
Im assuming it is part number 47131 here on this diagram and it goes in that bracket piece on the pedal with the hole, under the collar.
Sorry I cant find/get a better pic. When your pedal is not depressed the cushion presses on the bottom of the switch, so it should be directly under the switch. I cant say 100% that this is your problem, however my cushion fell off before and I had the same problem with brake lights staying on all the time.

ahh no problem thanks for this pic i'll take a look at it tomorrow i hope it's as simple as this