Help Need to know if I should buy

iamJamie

Help Need to know if I should buy

Postby iamJamie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm

should I buy this or will it be a money pit? http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3894341178.html

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Help Need to know if I should buy

Postby BlackStar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Well, lets see. It is an ae86, which already makes it a money pit. Bad interior(whats going on with the screen in the dash?, and full of garbage too!) unknown body/rust condition, missing body parts, damaged body parts, the the cherry on top, it was someone else project. If it was an easy fix, they would fix it themselves. It's like on an ad on craigslist, where the seller claims 'oh, the part is only $10, it should be an easy fix"

I would run unless you have about 5k and a lot of time, and are dedicated to a Frankenstein car (3tc's didn't come stock)

Do what I did, find 'the one.' I waited 2 years till i found my complete coupe that needed an engine overhaul. How do you think you would feel if, hypothetically, you bought this mess, and a week latter a stock unmolested hatch happened to appear on craigslist for 2k? Let it go, let it go.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:57 pm

x2 Blackstar has a point I also waited for my coupe and best decision I made. Cuz the price "looks" cheap it really isnt unless u have all the extra parts lying around. I say save ur money and wait for somthing complete that "you" can call your own and not try taking on what someone else cant do themselves. Trust me iv tryed and let me tell you it suuuuuux lol my girl thought I left her cuz I was so bzy in the backyard always workin on my old z lol. Just my 2cents gl with whatever you decide man :D

iamJamie

Postby iamJamie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 am

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. Now I just play the waiting game and hope I find one.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am

iamJamie wrote:Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. Now I just play the waiting game and hope I find one.

you can always expand your search!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 pm

The 3TC and carbs would be a big negative to me. I am partial to the 4AGE so I would look for a 4A or something begging for a swap.
If the 3TC was something that got me wet I still don't think I'd offer more than $700 for that car.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:07 am

There are a lot of AE86 guys in and around Nashville that could hook you up with a fender, hood, headlight, even a bumper and paint. That dash has to go lol. The ad says it has ground issues from the wreck? Right. For a carb'd engine, I don't know of any wires needed for functionality on that side. My SR5 harness was all the emission stuff, which I disconnected and ziptied out of the way. Saying it has a ground issue caused by the wreck sounds like code for "hack wiring that doesn't work, so I'll blame it on the wreck", hence no battery. I would go look at it. Set a battery in it; if it turns over, offer $1500, if it doesn't do anything, offer half that. If anything, i'll buy the bumper and side skirts off you lol.

Edit: more thinking.... I think the power wires to the ECU run through the passenger fender, then through the firewall. They are under the radiator header panel. Still those would be very easy to inspection by just removing the fender and headlight bucket. Still sounds sketchy.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001