AE86 radio options

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

AE86 radio options

Postby sqznby » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm

If this is in the wrong location, please move to the correct area :)
Thanks

I decided that I'd like to add a small radio/system to my car. The only problem is, I have no interior no dash no nothing.
I believe all the wires are there for a radio but I am not going to settle for a standard radio.
I want to use my Nano and only my Nano. Is this possible? I also found a nice amp to.
Do they sell any kind of wiring kits to do so?

Thanks

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 radio options

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 am

you can wire your speakers up to a 3.5 headphone jack and see if the nano has enough wattage to push the speakers but that is a slim chance. the way i would go is to get an amp that has a high input or use a pre amp converter to run a regular amp and connect all the speakers to the amp. just make sure your speaker ohms are correct for the amp or you will get a lot of distortion or possibly blow the speakers. also get a smaller amp that is like 80 to 200 watts depending on the speakers you choose since you want highs and mid ranges. if you are using stock speakers i would choose a lowwer wattage amp. do you have the dash bar in your car still? if so you can reinstall the lower radio supports and mount a regular car audio stereo.

here is a pic of the high to low level converter. these are fairly cheap and are easily had at your local car stereo shop. you would hook one side up to a 3.5 headphone jack hook up the rca to your amp and plug the headphone jack to your nano
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 am

All you need is a 3.5mm phone plug to whatever kind of input (likely dual RCA connectors) your amp has. The amp will have a signal to turn it on (probably a blue wire) and if you connect that to the ignition switch or the factory radio switched 12V line so that it gets 12V when you turn the key to the acc position, the amp will turn on and you got tunes. Make sure the amp is grounded well or you might get whine from the alternator.

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Wow, you guys are great.
Thank You very much, I appreciate the help.

This is the amp I'm getting. Super tiny, yet powerful enough for my little system.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate- ... B004T163SY

My main goal is to have a nice compact system and not to overload my Hachi with unnecessary junk.
I think this'll do, hah.

Thanks again fellas

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm

sqznby wrote:Wow, you guys are great.
Thank You very much, I appreciate the help.

This is the amp I'm getting. Super tiny, yet powerful enough for my little system.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate- ... B004T163SY

My main goal is to have a nice compact system and not to overload my Hachi with unnecessary junk.
I think this'll do, hah.

Thanks again fellas

I saw one of those at a stereo shop a little while ago, I thought it was an MP3 storage drive or something, it is TINY!!
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Haha, no kidding. That's what attracted me to it. Talk about weight saving system :)