electric fans?

tiko1075
Club4AG Enthusiast

electric fans?

Postby tiko1075 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I need help! I don't know what do I need and how to set up a electric fans, do you think you guys can help me? Thank you!
Last edited by tiko1075 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: Dual electric fans?

Postby allencr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 am

No, not if you need that much help.
Search for some DIY anywhere.
Also, why does it need a fan let alone 2 of them?

drifterkid86
Club4AG Regular

Re: electric fans?

Postby drifterkid86 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:21 am

When you buy an electric fan it pretty much comes with everything you need to make it run.
There's different ways to wire it up; this is the two ways I set mine up (super crappy explanations)
One way I had my electric fan wired up was I grounded the fan to the chassis then ran the positive wire of the fan to a relay that I connected to a 12v constant so the fan would come on when the car was on.
The current way I have it is like the first but I put a toggle switch inline with a fuse and a 12v power source so I can turn the fan off and on even if the car is off. The bad thing about this is if you forget to turn off the fan you'll drain your battery but the electric fans are loud enough that you'd hear it... or you might for get to turn it on when you drive and overheat your car.

sorry for the bad explanation, search has lots of diagrams and 'how to' guides

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 am

the best way i think is to use oem parts. get the water inlet from a ae92 or an ae82. it will have a fan switch built in to the housing make sure you get the wiring too. then get 2 relays and wire them up like the schematic in the pic. this will allow the fans to come on when the radiator needs cooling and turn off when the car is off. so there is no need for a switch it is automatic just like any FWD car.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 am

Sorry to thread jack,
I read online about the method ga_goosh mentioned, how difficult is it to go this route? Wiring just always seems to be such a headache. I dont mind wiring a fan up to a switch, but it might be less human error friendly to have it automated. Plus if I lend someone the car I dont want them over heating it by not flipping the switch lol.
Also, opinion wise, which method is more preferred? Wiring to a switch with fuse or going straight to the battery?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

^Preference is up to the end user. You could use the diagram above and also wire in an override switch.

I plan on doing this and have all the parts ready (big thanks to ga_goosh for helping me get to this point). I grabbed a fuse box off a ae101 at the junkyard to house everything, looks like this:

My lack of electrical knowledge has kept me from attempting to install it all. I'm not sure on the safest and best place to tap ACC, BATT, and GND considering how many amps the fans draw...also if additional fuses should be used and where they would go in relation to the above diagram, etc. Can anyone help?

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I've got mine set up on the OEM thermoswitch, and it works extremely well. I have an aftermarket air intake, so I was able to use the old intake mounting position for my relay setup.

Good idea to use a fuse regardless of your method. Don't tap battery power, get it from the battery. I burned out a 10 when I switched from a one-fan setup to two, and now use a 15.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 pm

My lack of electrical knowledge has kept me from attempting to install it all. I'm not sure on the safest and best place to tap ACC, BATT, and GND considering how many amps the fans draw...also if additional fuses should be used and where they would go in relation to the above diagram, etc. Can anyone help?

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, If you ever do get around to figuring it out, pm me and let me know what you did! Id appreciate it a lot!
The problem is, is that I really don't want to have the fan running all the time every time I turn the key, but at the same time I dont want to risk human error forgetting to flip a switch and overheating the car, not too mention i am not the only person who drives the car.

While on the subject, I read somewhere that it is better to keep the fan shroud even with electric fan, is this necessary?

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:52 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayden-Fan-Swit ... 5af1c0e4b8

What about this? any information on a kit like this?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:29 pm

rumsawatti - if you use an oem thermo switch and wire it up with 2 relays using the diagram ga_goosh posted it will operate like factory equipped fan, i.e. it will turn on/off on it's own based on coolant temp. You don't use the oem fan shroud with an electric fan. You can buy a fan/shroud kit or make your own shroud. A shroud isn't even really necessary though because the e-fan housings can be mounted directly to the radiator core using special hardware.

Tora wrote:Good idea to use a fuse regardless of your method. Don't tap battery power, get it from the battery. I burned out a 10 when I switched from a one-fan setup to two, and now use a 15.

I'm trying to go for a clean oem look. Could I put a fuse in the unused middle spot on the fusible link box and wire it straight to the battery that way? What gauge wire?

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Is this said hardware?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm

exactly

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:33 pm

"While on the subject, I read somewhere that it is better to keep the fan shroud even with electric fan, is this necessary?"

The fan shroud, and the stock air intake "snorkel", combine to channel fresh air around the sides of the engine to cool it, including the exhaust manifold and distributor. Take away the shroud and snorkel and the airflow goes up over the engine instead of around it, and you may create hot spots and problems. Your mileage will vary, but in general? If the car didn't need those parts, Toyota would not have wasted their profits by installing them.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

tiko1075
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby tiko1075 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks a lot every one, this is what I was expecting to see, you guys are awesome!

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:38 am

Red wrote:"While on the subject, I read somewhere that it is better to keep the fan shroud even with electric fan, is this necessary?"

The fan shroud, and the stock air intake "snorkel", combine to channel fresh air around the sides of the engine to cool it, including the exhaust manifold and distributor. Take away the shroud and snorkel and the airflow goes up over the engine instead of around it, and you may create hot spots and problems. Your mileage will vary, but in general? If the car didn't need those parts, Toyota would not have wasted their profits by installing them.

I have to agree with using a shroud. if there is no shroud the fan will move air around in the wrong places. the shroud makes the air pull through the radiator if there is no shroud the fan is pulling the air from the least resistant places and that is usually not through the radiator. it will cool a lot better with a shroud.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:39 am

Red wrote:"While on the subject, I read somewhere that it is better to keep the fan shroud even with electric fan, is this necessary?"

I have to agree with using a shroud. if there is no shroud the fan will move air around in the wrong places. the shroud makes the air pull through the radiator if there is no shroud the fan is pulling the air from the least resistant places and that is usually not through the radiator. it will cool a lot better with a shroud.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:07 am

No engine driven fan = no fan shroud! Simple as that.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:11 pm

"No engine driven fan = no fan shroud! Simple as that."
Not so simple. If the fan(s) are bolted onto the radiator, sure, they'll draw air through it, so that aspect of the shrouding is no needed. But then where does the air go after it has come through the radiator? Smack into the block, spreading out in all directions, including over it? Or, doesn't it still need shrouding to direct the airflow to the places where it will cause the least flow resistance (ah, DRAG, even under the hood!) and impart the greatest cooling? Like, to the exhaust manifold rather than the bottom of the hood?

Lots of stuff works. But just "works" is an awfully low bar to set. "Works well" or "works really well" or even "works best" is sometimes worth pursuing, isn't it?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 pm

The potential extra aerodynamic drag from removing the shroud with an e-fan is negligible at best, especially if both hood seals are intact and the car still has both front under body splash guards. At speed most of the air will be forced around each side of the engine and exit under the car at the base of the firewall.

Perhaps a more important thing to consider is that 99% of ae86's don't have the main engine splash guard anymore, which has a larger affect on cooling and aero. Without it there's nothing to stop air from moving into the engine bay from under the car behind the radiator and in front of the engine. This creates a high pressure area in the bay, which makes it harder for air to flow through the radiator core at speed.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:58 pm

the fan shrouds main propose is to direct the air through the entire radiator. if you stick a fan on the rad it will only draw air through the area the fan is covered and with the biggest single fan that is only covering about 60% of the radiator with dual fans it is still only about 80%. if you are using 1 fan i would leave the shroud. i have made a fan shroud out of plexiglass and phoam tape so the fan will draw through all of the radiator. you want air flow through the entire radiator for the most efficient cooling. after that it doesnt matter where it goes in the engine bay. i dont think the air hitting the block will make a difference since the air isnt cooling the block but the coolant is cooling the block. it is an extra perk for it to be directed to the exhaust tho
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Lost the road pan? Right, lighter is faster.<G>

But serisouly, enough folks have posted about melting distributor caps so that the exhaust manifold heat shield and airflow in the engine bay shouldn't be totally dismissed. I wouldn't obsess about not having a shroud, but I wouldn't throw mine out, either.