water temp gauge setup

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

water temp gauge setup

Postby daveskatesallday » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm

I was going to purchase one of those for my water temp gauge but I was curious could you just run an aftermarket water temp gauge off of the stock water temp sensor instead? wasn't sure if anyone had done it before, since the aftermarket gauge will probably be more accurate than the stock gauge cluster i'd assume

Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: water temp gauge setup

Postby allencr » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Will the different gauge be more accurate with the OEM sensor? Maybe, maybe not, might be completely off as there's more then a few resistance ranges for sensors.
Bottom pic? That's not a temp gauge sensor on the bottom hose, the inlet.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 am

allencr wrote:Will the different gauge be more accurate with the OEM sensor? Maybe, maybe not, might be completely off as there's more then a few resistance ranges for sensors.
Bottom pic? That's not a temp gauge sensor on the bottom hose, the inlet.

well the reading on the gauge cluster doesn't read accurate at all, even it says i have no oil pressure when I know i do haha

also that's where the stock connector goes to the water temp sensor BUT i may just do the rad. hose adaptor just wasn't sure if anyone ever tried that before
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:44 am

This isn't a stock inlet, it's off of an AE92 or similar. The temperature sensor circled is a grounded connection that cuts off when the water reaches a certain temp.

I believe that the AE86 temperature sensor is the Bosch-style connector off of the upper hose (outlet). The plastic of mine had deteriorated so much I had to replace it with a junkyard pick recently.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 am

You're both wrong. The oem temp sender is on the water outlet and has 1 wire (connector is white or clear).

Why not remove the stock sender and put the after market sender in it's place?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:You're both wrong. The oem temp sender is on the water outlet and has 1 wire (connector is white or clear).

Why not remove the stock sender and put the after market sender in it's place?

@deuce Cam - that's what i was asking haha i may do that just wasn't sure if anyone has before or not I figured it would work

@ Tora - i just used that picture as a general reference haha but i wasn't sure if anyone had did it before