AE86 left and right imbalance question

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 left and right imbalance question

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:35 pm

honestly you need to dial in the coil overs by corner balancing to truly get it right
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 am

ga_goosh wrote:honestly you need to dial in the coil overs by corner balancing to truly get it right

this.

but if you're tripping this hard over something this simple... if i were you, i would ditch the corolla and let it go to someone that can enjoy it properly..
not ready for the "rolla life".

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 am

mikeyee wrote:but if you're tripping this hard over something this simple... if i were you, i would ditch the corolla and let it go to someone that can enjoy it properly..
not ready for the "rolla life".

no no....THIS.

Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? Center the rear end? And why don't you just set the ride height with you in the car? Hellaflush aint hella-practical.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 am

You're tripping this hard over ride height issues, I'm just trying to picture how you'd react to other problems corollas tend to throw at their owners. (ie: engines going out, rear end woes, etc.)

rollacpe
Club4AG Regular

Postby rollacpe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am

Mikeyee and HASport are right, and its hard for guys who were part of the old forum to not come across as dickish, this place just isnt the same anymore.

But seriously poorutron, I recommend that you start reading the archives on the old forum, there is a WEALTH of knowledge there.

Here is the link http://forums.club4ag.com/

If you are too lazy to read through it and learn, and build your experience level, then im afraid that you may be too lazy to own a corolla, like mikeyee said.

Im NOT trying to be a dick.

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:16 pm

we don't want folk in our community that would drop the corolla over having one side of their car sit less than an inch higher on one side to another. it's kinda sad.

you didn't do your research regarding how to combat this, or what the causes could be. your immediate reaction was to be frustrated and "go to the darkside" (my immediate assumption was S-chassis. but i guess you meant dump loads of cash into fixing the issue).

and jacking up the car to readjust height (spin the coils down, or cut springs for non-coilover folk) is something that you have to do when adjusting the ride height to your likings. plus, the corolla chassis are inching towards 30 years old. with a lot of them tweaked pretty bad, so it's pretty doubtful that your frame sits straight and the alignment/height settings sit symmetrical.

plus this is the internet. if you don't like how im wording things. tough.

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:21 pm

also. i don't claim to be OG (I'm anything but that... I'm only 21 >_>). the knowledge is out there. in fact, I even made a page where I collected all of the corolla info I've come across ( here: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1 ) for everyone to use.

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

ummm, how does 1 notice a "1/2" difference from side to side in ride height? especially in an ae86....

if your like this.....i could understand, but revert to HAsports comment.

:roll:

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:34 am

rollacpe wrote:Mikeyee and HASport are right, and its hard for guys who were part of the old forum to not come across as dickish, this place just isnt the same anymore.

on that note, "old-old" club4ag was millions times worse than what the now "old G's" do comparably. newb hazing back then was so much worse, and even among other respectable "ol G's", sh*t slinging was pretty common then (cough cough phuck drifting cough cough). but this was back before the first club4ag shutdown.. like 8-10ish years ago (atleast from my pre-teen perspective then).

i try to not come off as a stragiht up dick. but I don't want to sugarcoat my words when what the corolla can throw at you be so mcuh worse when you're not prepared for it (it being almost 30y/o and the problems that revolve aroudn that an stuff).

/.02

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 am

Who cares about all the old people/old forum crap.

Your car's ride height is not even in the rear after you installed new coilovers? Did you try adjusting the coilover sleeves? If its the megan setup, your car should be able to adjust so that the rear is even on both sides unless something is bent. Most people who buy coilovers for a street/weekend warrior just buy them to lower the ride height. As stated above, if you want the car to be setup the best, you should find a shop that can adjust the corner weights (the weight of the car at each tire). This is what coilovers are good for. However.... the purpose of buying anything for a car is to make you happy. So if you want an even ride height in the rear, I can try to help you.

Anyways, if you havent adjusted the coil overs in the rear, go do that and let us know how it goes.

Vic

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:36 am

i think hes having issues with it being lowered without an adjustable panhard bar, and its kicking the rear axle towards the passenger side.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm

The first mistake that many people make is to confuse "stance" with handling. They are mutually exclusive. "Good" stance = crap handling. In order for the car to handle well, the suspension needs to move, which is why you don't see any race cars with "stanced" look.

Getting back you your original question, ga_goosh answered the question. To get the best handling, you should corner balance a coilover system. Doing so puts the same effective weight on the left and right sides. In every Japanese car that I have ever set up, when you corner balance it, this means that the right side has a higher height than the left side. My theory on this is because the car was originally designed as right hand drive. When you design a car and start figuring out where to put the weight, you need to consider that the car will be driven mostly with one person in the car, so designers assume an average person's weight in the driver seat and place more things on the passenger side of the car to try and balance the weight. When the car is then sold as a left hand drive car, they only move the driver controls to the right side and none of the rest of the weight. Since we're only interested in handling, the fact that the right side has a bigger wheel gap than the left doesn't matter, right?

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm

epiphany....

i bet your rear end pumpkin is sitting on its bump stop.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 am

Solid rear ends with panhard rods like our 86's need to be setup with slightly different preloads on adjustable shocks and spring seats left to right to get the ride height even. An adjustable panhard will only centre the diff side to side, will have no effect on ride height whatsoever. If the rear is sitting uneven, only solution is to jack the car up and either lower the side thats higher or raise the side thats lower to even it up. Corner weighting is really only for track cars, you won't see any real benefits on the road unless you're going way too fast.