LSD upgrade?

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

LSD upgrade?

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:15 am

Is this a bolt in upgrade to get LSD in an open differential? I want LSD, but a rear end is more expensive and too hard to find especially given my location. I don't really care for disk brakes, but I would like an LSD. Welding the differential is probably cheaper and easier, but I don't know how safe it is and hear mixed reviews. Anyhow, this site says that the Kaaz upgrade the open to LSD but does this OBX one from ebay do the same? Any helpful info on others ways to get LSD is appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-LSD-COROLLA ... 73&vxp=mtr

LongGrain

Re: LSD upgrade?

Postby LongGrain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:12 pm

uhh, thats for a GTS rear end, not SR5.

there arent really many LSD options for sr5 rear end, you're better off welding. I've been running welded diffs for 6 years now, never had a problem...

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm

^^^^
That

or

A GTS swap or make your own.

Welded is probably the easiest way to go.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Ah, I see, I kind of figured that, but then the Kaaz description said it would upgrade an open differential to LSD so I got confused. Anyhow, so there isnt really any way to convert an open to LSD without replacing the entire rear end? What is the verdict on welding? Safe not safe? I hear many say its not very safe for street use.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm

i think you're confused.

yes, that kit you posted WILL convert an open differential to an LSD, but ONLY if you have an open GTS rear end, which you do not.

GTS and SR5 have completely different rear ends, The GTS rear end was offered with a clutch type LSD or an open differential. They all have disc brakes and have a 6.7" ring gear. The aftermarket LSD's that you are looking at (kaaz, OBX, etc) only fit in GTS rear ends, whether they are open or have factory LSD doesnt matter.

You have an SR5 rear end, which is smaller and has drum brakes. There are very very few aftermarket LSD's out there that fit your rear end, and they are all old and discontinued from companies in japan that didnt ever really import here. (read: you will probably never find one)

You seem to be under the impression that there are only 2 different rear ends (lsd and open), when in fact there are 5 different ae86 rear ends, 4 of them are compatible with that OBX unit that you posted, 1 of them is not, you have the one that is not.

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:42 pm

rumsawatti wrote:What is the verdict on welding? Safe not safe? I hear many say its not very safe for street use.

The verdict, I think you'll get many different opinions. Its safe as long as a qualified welder does it. The only complaint I have heard from others is the squealing of the tires when you take tight turns. Otherwise, I have read about others enjoying there welded diff for years on the street and on the track drifting.

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks longgrain for the info, I was confused about that but after doing some further research after posting this thread I realized everything you just told me and it became clear. Thanks again for clearing that up further.

sqznby I have read that in the rain it tends to be a bit quirky for daily driving, but I guess that depends on the driver? I also have heard that it makes odd noises when turning lol What about celica-supra rears? Were those LSD and are they bolt up?

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

They were available with LSD, same as a GTS rear end. The Celica rear end is not a direct swap, you gotta move some brackets around a little. I reckon just try to find an LSD'd GTS rear end, it'll be worth the wait for the ease of installation.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm

can you provide any proof or evidence that SR5 rear ends were offered with LSD? I've never heard that before in my life.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Never OEM options, but there are purported aftermarket LSD's from waaay back in the day from Japanland and Puerto Rico mostly. I've never seen a real live one.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Barry
Club4AG Regular

Postby Barry » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

LongGrain wrote:can you provide any proof or evidence that SR5 rear ends were offered with LSD? I've never heard that before in my life.

In Japan I believe a certain model of the SR5 had the option to OEM Factory LSD.

The Quaife LSD, OBX Copy is a gear type LSD which is more suited for most driving situations other than drifting. Once you compare a Clutch type vs a Quaife type it comes down to preference.

If you do purchase the OBX lsd...be aware that the bolts used in assembly of the unit are subpar and must be exchanged for higher quality bolts. Also machining may be required for proper fitment and functionality. This LSD is a copy, not a good copy, but will require some work before its suitable for proper usage.

A welded diff, is not a fun thing to drive and generally should only be done for cheap drifting or drag racing duties. In any slick, wet, snowy conditions a welded diff can be VERY dangerous and the likelihood of losing control is increased exponentially.
-barry
Moderator - 9,500rpm club
1986 Corolla GT-S hatch, AE101, Toda 272, Haltech E8, etc (retired)
1992 Lexus SC400, LS2 Swap
2002 Audi A4 1.8t, GT2867R, 2Liter Stroked