Diff. and brake options.

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Diff. and brake options.

Postby canyon_carvers » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm

keep looking for a GTS rear end... Or find a GTS donor and switch everything over. Once you source out the parts you're looking for, a good set of non-slotted premium rotors (no cheapies that are made in china) or slotted rotors, a good set of street pads (ex: EBC, portifields RS4, hawk, etc...) and TIRES... That make a huge difference! As for lsd, you can try to find a gts rear end with lsd or one without and put in a after market. Don't weld your diff if you want to grip race. If you don't intend to drift the car then settle for a 1.5 way lsd. I got a 1.5 way OS Giken lsd on my 86 and it was a huge improvement over stock lsd. Lastly I couldn't tell you if you can just simply put disk brakes onto your sr5 diff...

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 am

fort_city_prez wrote:Also, what's the issue/cost (general) comparisons of just putting the disk brakes and lsd on my current rear end? I know Willwood fits great on the gts, but how much of an issue would that be on mine.

Not impossible but it is a more expensive route..i would rather leave the sr-5 axle alone in the car & build a gts unit on the side. Just keep searching around,you'll eventually find one..then rebuild & upgrade the gts axle,accordingly to your budget.
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm

fort_city_prez wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the info. Now just to find someone that will ship to Arkansas, which happens to be more difficult than you'd think.

Haha! Talking about difficult...where i live,arrangements & cost like say to ship an engine, kills me big time! Anything that ships out here is $$$..
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Yea..for some sellers its just a big hassle & would much rather have the heavy bulky stuff picked up.
But keep on lookin, there are other axles out there!
87 GTS Coupe