sr5 auto to 4age manual

ae86_dreamer
Club4AG Expert

sr5 auto to 4age manual

Postby ae86_dreamer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 pm

hey guys. some questions. im purchasing an 86 sr5 very good condition but the thing is its the stock motor and its automatic. im planning to do a 4age manual in the near future. i know the swap is possible but my concern is the ever watchful eye of the dmv!. lol! i want the sr5 to be a legit ride,anybody has an idea or the guidelines on this ? i know the engine needs to be same year or newer but my main concern is from at to mt. help out a brother? thank you!

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: sr5 auto to 4age manual

Postby grappletech » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Honestly I would rock with the 4ac and auto until I have a clear mind on what it is exactly id want. If you find a 4ag build it to your preferences get everything you need ready before the swap. That way you canstill drive your car and enjoy learning about your 4ag.

I do t know anything about your local DMV laws as I have not had to ever deal with that... Cali guys chime in?!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

ae86_dreamer
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86_dreamer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 pm

yes, i'd most likely do that. i'm not in a hurry to do swaps or mods etc... of course i'd do replace/maintain stuff but that's pretty much it. im as broke as it is.i just want to have a bit of a gameplan for the future. thanks for your reply. i appreciate it. i'm a noob so.... :lol:

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:11 am

Its cool man. There are tons of people here who are willing to help. Good luck with everything. PM me if you have any other questions and ill point you in the right direction
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

ae86_dreamer
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86_dreamer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:41 am

alright cool! im more concern about converting the auto tranny to manual.i dont want to have any problems in the long run.i want it to be my daily drive. i've searched dmv website,forums etc... and there seems to be nothing about it. all i read about is other people's experiences and such. the thing is i would love to buy a gts, but im more specific of it being a coupe plus i think it's more uncommon here in the bay area than La. but i see your point. appreciate your feedback btw. thanks!

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 pm

poorutron wrote:watchful eye of dmv? it shouldnt be a problem since same model came out with 4age version you'd just have to worry about the smog part and you may have to cut into the floor pan area thingy for the clutch slave thing (double check?) honestly you should save up for a gts save the trouble since sourcing out certain parts like the gts rear end can be a pain ( Zenki and kouki models have different fitment from what i was told) I too have a SR5 (hatch) but very unwilling to sell it due to various personal reasons (car has a chocobo yellow color, SUPER clean hatchback, I am officially the 2nd owner first owner was an old guy, its registration date is 1 day ahead of mine and was sold 1 year before i was born) with that being said just shoot pms so far my battle plan is as follows

Megan coilovers w/spindles (the welding kinda sketchy better safe than sorry)
Celica supra rear end (apparently zenki/kouki gts rears cant handle 200+hp and i plan on getting a hasselgren engine)
j160 tranny (not sure on this since its kinda pricey but stronger transmission = less breakability)
as far as engine stock 4age redtop till money saved up for El Hasselgren (das vunderbar)

at any rate brakes tires suspension should keep you going also dont be afraid to carfax the car I did and phew twas worth it

Id go with this guy. i ALSO have a SR5 ('84 coupe) and automatic, AND its that CHOCOBO YELLOW! haha! :lol: . from what everyone on here has told me, it IS better to just save up for a GTS (unless u find a donor). but even donors are hard to come by.

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Its a Chocobo yellow, BUT, the previous owner had it sitting in the sun for YEARS and the yellow fadded to this weird ass pale yellow haha. BUTTT, its still a clean ass AE86 with everything still intact and stock :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1144 (first page, i posted it Jan 29th)

idk if that link helps, but if it doesnt, just lmk n ill post some more up

ae86_dreamer
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86_dreamer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 am

nice! yeah ive read those are rare. well, turned out i got a mt from this other seller. though the at is flawless, my hearts' telling me manual. cant have an 86 with at. hehe ( no dis to at owners of course). probably for my first proj. is a gts rear conversion. thanks for the reply, guys! means a lot to a newb!

fantasy_type_0
Club4AG Regular

Postby fantasy_type_0 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for the information in this thread. I've been considering a few options, but this definitely helped clear my mind about what to do now...