Distributorless Ignition Setups

RidgeRacer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Distributorless Ignition Setups

Postby RidgeRacer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Searched "distributorless" and came up empty.

What's everyone using that went to this setup? Cam angle (from what application?) or crank VR sensor? Toyota, Ford EDIS or AEM pencil type coils?

I'm running an AEM ems and looking to go down this path.

Thanks!
'85 Anthracite GT-S

WTB AE86 parts: Grey passenger side speaker housing and grille.

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Distributorless Ignition Setups

Postby kennyb01 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:36 am

I dug deep for this a while back. For EDIS ignition there's a couple options.

For Waste Spark Ignition:

1. Get any 90's ford edis4 module, coil pack, crank sensor and 36-1 gear.

2. Instead of using the ford coil pack you can wire up 4 cop's for waste spark. A few more complications and wiring. Kind of expensive too for waste spark if you ask me.

For Sequential ignition via cam sensor:

1. Wire it to your distributor and remove the rotor. Not as efficient but supposedly it works.

2. Find and spend bucko dinero on a jdm gze cam angle sensor. And wire that to your ecu

3. Grind off a tooth on your cam gear and wire in the sensor. I haven't tried this but the guys at diyautotune have had a customer do it claiming it works fine. The gears have 36 teeth so you'll be creating a 36-1 gear. I know a lot of guys running MS use a GM or Ford sensor.

4. As far as I know nobody has tried this but same concept as #3. You could get a universal 36-1 gear and weld it to your cam gear and mount the sensor accordingly. I'm hoping to try this myself.

Hopefully that answered your question.

RidgeRacer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RidgeRacer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am

Maybe I should've been more specific and asked how have people integrated their setups with the ecu they run.

The route I'm hoping to go is a T3 crank pulley with 36-1 trigger wheel & mag sensor with AEM igniter and short pencil coils. Just wasn't sure how simply that "plugs in" to my series 1 EMS.
'85 Anthracite GT-S

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kennyb01 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 am

Does the aem ems you're running have inputs for individual coils? The cam sensor you'll have to find out which pinouts to wire it to. Same with the coils. Regardless of which ems you run you're options for cam sensors are pretty similar. Do you have a wiring diagram for the aem ems?

RidgeRacer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RidgeRacer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:37 am

All material I can search online doesn't state individual coil triggers for the Series 1. Series 2 states it clearly on AEM site.

But again, I want to completely block off the distributor area and read from below at the crank.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the EMS at the moment, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find.
'85 Anthracite GT-S

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kennyb01 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 am

So you're wanting waste spark instead of sequential? I'd call or email aem to get a pinout or wiring diagram to find out how many coil drivers it supports. And if you're using their ignition coil and drivers/ignitor It should be easier than having to wire in different edis modules and coils.