Rotors wont spin after new pads

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Rotors wont spin after new pads

Postby BlackStar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I bought a set of brembo rotors and hawk pads from 88rotors through ebay. I just installed one side and, the rotor doesn't spin. It is somehow coming into contact with the pad(Dragging somewhere). I have the piston compressed all the way, and bought new brake parts hard ware. What else should I look at? It almost looks like the rotor may be to wide, or the pads themselves are too thick, yet these are both stock replacement parts, I figure it is something on my end.

Not You
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Rotors wont spin after new pads

Postby Not You » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Are you sure you didnt just over TQ the nut on the hub?

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 pm

positive, wiht the brake pads off, the rotor spins freely. With the inner pad off, the rotor spins freely too, I think my problem is with the inner brake pad, its very difficult to line up wiht the small hardware

Not You
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Not You » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Sounds like your caliper piston is not fully depressed. Try pressing in the piston as much as you can and then try again.

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_Chaser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Compare your old parts with your new parts

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Not You wrote:Sounds like your caliper piston is not fully depressed. Try pressing in the piston as much as you can and then try again.

I actually have tried, it is fully depressed. It seems like is the inner brake pad that is causing the trouble. Maybe the hardware is being troublesome? The outer brake pad lines up fine, and does not drag. Any tips or help? I might have to massage the hardware so the pad doesn't rub

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Are we talking about rear brake pads on a GTS or brake pads up front?
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 am

you will need to Lube the sliders that mount the caliper to the pad carrier. If not lubed they will not allow the caliper to slide to compensate for pad wear.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 am

make sure the bumps on the pad line up with the indentions on the caliper piston
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote:Are we talking about rear brake pads on a GTS or brake pads up front?

front brakes

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 pm

BlackStar wrote:
KonaTrueno723 wrote:Are we talking about rear brake pads on a GTS or brake pads up front?

front brakes

If your preload is set correctly at the front wheel bearings, then i'd check your brake pads again..some mfgr's lay a thick coating of protective paint to the backside of these pads. If thats present, scrape it all off. We're only talking a couple mils here, but it will atleast give it some room to wear in & at the same time not burn up those brand new rotors.
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Forgive me if this is old news, but have you done pads on this car before?

I was taught to compress the pistons with c-clamps and not a lot of fuss, but apparently on these cars and many others, you can't do it that way. You really need a special tool (free rental from AutoZone or Pep, $75 kit) that ROTATES the piston as it is compressed. If you do not rotate the piston, it doesn't retract correctly, and you may damage the seal.

Yeah, go figure, new and improved whatever.

But a friend of mine was just doing the brakes on his Saturn, couldn't get the piston to compress far enough, finally listened to me nagging "you need the tool". Used the tool and it compressed all the way with no problem, new pads slid right in, job was done in five minutes after he'd spent an hour trying to force it without the tool.

i have no idea what the rotating business is about, but if you didn't do it that way, the piston was not really compressed, and the new pads just won't fit unless you get lucky. Free rental? Try it. Pick up some beer to celebrate on the way back.<G>
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 pm

really? how much farther would it have to go in? I had gotten the piston flush with the caliper housing. On the mustangs I have had, that was the completely compressed look. I will also check out and see about the extra paint. I know these pads came with some surprisingly thick metal plates on the back(forgot their name), maybe just swap the stock ones on and see how it fits.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 am

Red wrote:Pick up some beer to celebrate on the way back.<G>

X2 for beer Red :D

Black star=have you done the other side yet? Is it the same scenario?
87 GTS Coupe

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 am

How much farther? Damfino, if all you need is 1/2mm clearance and you don't have it, that's all it takes. If the pads came with plates that are thicker than factory, that doesn't really matter unless the total thickness (plate, pad, whole thing) is thicker than factory. Assuming the guys who made the pads have ANY grasp on what they are doing, or that these are the right pads for the car (GT-S, that's a Celica, right? Everyone knows that.<G>) the pad thickness should not be an issue.

If they ARE thicker than stock, and thick enough to cause them not to fit, I'd send 'em back right away. If someone can't make a replacement pad that FITS, I don't want to know about what else they might get wrong. Really, it is that simple.

So maybe it is not the compression, maybe "flush" really is flush and really should be good enough. But scraping the pads down to make them fit? Uh-uh, that shouldn't be a fix. It could just be hiding the real problem, and that could come back to bite you.

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:05 am

Yes, I have tried it on both sides, wiht the same results. Later today I am going to tear it down and compare parts to the old ones to see if their is any glaring differences.

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Just so I can clear it up for everyone, this is my problem:

On the FRONT brakes, my rotors are rubbing against the brake pads. the rotors are the same width as the old ones, so clearance there is not an issue. The piston is all the way in. It is the INSIDE brake pad that keep on rubbing against the rotor. With the caliper up, it does not rub against the rotor. When I swing it down, it does. The pad is also loose when the caliper is moved down. How can I make it so the inner brake pad does not rub against the rotor. I'v put on the old pads, and I still have the same trouble. So, how can i either mess with the pad hardware, or get the pad in right?

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Got it fixed. The mounting hardware needed to be manipulated a bit to fit the pads better. Later, when I bleed the brakes I'm going to re-check my work. I can't wait to try out the new setup, it looks so good on the car!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:21 am

Glad to hear you got it solved :D
87 GTS Coupe

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Sounds like you had the the cylinder assembly (which Toyota just calls "the cylinde") mounted slightly off, and that threw off the position of the pads on the rotor.

"Manipulation" Don't ask me why, I had a cartoon image of a chiropractor "manipulating" the brakes to make the car feel better.<G>