HELP!!!! Rear lateral rod link arm

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

HELP!!!! Rear lateral rod link arm

Postby danhtruong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 am

Hi everyone!
A problem here with my 1985 Corolla. I am a first time owner of an Ae86. I bought this car off of a guy from Craigslist. The problem now is that the car is missing the Lateral Rod Link Arm. Also the "arm" I am guessing thats what it is called to hold the lateral rod link arm to the cars frame appears to look like someone had cut it. There is no way I can connect the link arms to the cars frame. What can I do to fix this problem? Should I drill a hole? any ideas? please help! appreciated. Thank you so much

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Re: HELP!!!! Rear lateral rod link arm

Postby carbd7age » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:15 am

You gotta have that link, don't drive the car without it. You'll have to find the mount that goes on the passenger side on a donor car and cut it off, then weld it on your car.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 am

^^^like carbed7ag said... But if you can't find one, i can ask my bud cause he's got a shell sitting at his shop. I can just go over there & cut that lateral link hanger off & ship it to ya..let's all hope he hasn't dumped it yet... :?: let you know by the end of the day

Mike
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks a lot carbd7age and konatrueno723. Yes konatrueno723 please let me know asap. One thing is it is not completely cut off, it still have metal hanging from the frame. It is hard to explane i will take a pic a post it on for you guy can see. If Somebody has simple pics of that please post it because i want to see the original look like.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm

It will be best to cut whatever is left of yours off and weld a whole new bracket on.

Also a good time to get a nice aftermarket pan hard/lateral rod. I suggest battle version.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 pm

danhtruong..they threw shell away last tues....sorry!

Not sure whats left of that lateral hanger, but drilling a hole to mount your factory bar may put your axle in the wrong location. An adj lat rod may give you some adjustability to correct that. But I'd take LongGrains advice & fab a new hanger.
I can measure mines & give you it's dimensions if you like.
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

No problem Mike, yeah can you give me the dimension?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:56 am

danhtruong wrote:No problem Mike, yeah can you give me the dimension?

Sure..I'll get a couple pics of it after work today
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm

danhtruong wrote:No problem Mike, yeah can you give me the dimension?

Apologies in advance for the shyty pics..so pissed i'm throwing this damn camera out..! plus in trying to post this up i had to be real quick, cause it times out on ya'..

Bracket width is about a 1-1/2" wide

Next image shows the bracket to be 8" long total. 6-3/4" from the top of uni-body frame to the bolts center

front veiw of it looking back at the bracket

Hope this helps sir..
Mike
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm

thank a lot Mike! and can I bolts 2 pieces of metals on the bracket that still connect to the frame because the shop charge $500 to weld 2 pieces of metals on the old bracket. By the way the old owner just cut around 2 inches off. I will cut two pieces of metal over lap the old bracket and drill 2 or 3 hold and bolts it on. I try to get close to the oem as much as possible follow with your dimension. And also I will buy aftermarket lateral rod that adjustable. Is that sound good to you or not? If it sound good, do you know where can I get bolts and nuts and 2 bolts once that go onto the axle on the driver side and one go to the bracket to hold the lateral rod ( I need the size of that bolts). Please let me know asap. thank you for your time.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 am

:shock: geez louise! $500 dollars to weld just two pieces of metal? I hope that comes with a welder too..?
Yeah overlap & down just long enough to make the hole @ 6-3/4". Do you have any friends that could weld? To honest the correct way is to weld & fuse the bracket to the car. The hanger is a very important peice that holds & centers the axle. It controls lateral movement! And just take the lat/rod down to the hardware store with you. They should carry metric stuff..try & use grade8 hardware when possible
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 am

I'll get that metric bolt size & length info for you anyway.. I think one is longer than the other
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah, can i have the size of all bolds, I ask the alignment guy he said get the aftermarket lateral rod which can adjust (godspeed lateral rod) and try to make the hold closet to the oem as much as possible. He said the lateral rod doesnt hold any load so the bracket dont have to be that strong. After i done and put the car on alignment rack. It will be good. What do you think?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm

danhtruong wrote:Yeah, can i have the size of all bolds, I ask the alignment guy he said get the aftermarket lateral rod which can adjust (godspeed lateral rod) and try to make the hold closet to the oem as much as possible. He said the lateral rod doesnt hold any load so the bracket dont have to be that strong. After i done and put the car on alignment rack. It will be good. What do you think?

Since my car is up in the air already, I'm gonna remove my lat bar bolts to make absolutely sure on size & let u kno
An adj rod is a good call. I'm gonna clear something up,,its until you make a turn where the load takes place. You want it solid & not move or shift from lateral forces. You need to keep control of your car man!
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks Mike! I just ask my friend and he say just cut two pieces of metal by my self and bring the car to his uncle shop and ask his uncle to weld it for me. And I think you are right when I try to drift and lateral rod is very important. So yeah I just need the size of the bolts. Thanks for your help man, it help me a lot. And I have a question want ask you man, I want to learn drifting, what the best car Ae86 or 240sx? and do think Ae86 better or 240sx better for drifting? Sorry man I am a newbie :)

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 am

Yup..track or street, safety is first bud.
Ummm..both? But just remember, there was only one that started it all........THE AE86!!!

I'll get those bolts sizes for ya' in the morn, kinda tired right now _._
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 am

hahaha I never drift before. I think after this I will ask you some techniques for first time drifter. Don't worry man take your time.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 am

danhtruong wrote:He said the lateral rod doesnt hold any load so the bracket dont have to be that strong.

He's right, as long as it's sitting still or going in a straight line.
I'd stay away from that guy!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 pm

danhtruong= Metric bolt & nut for the hanger bracket is a hexagon flanged 14x1.5mm size bolt & is approx 2-1/2" long. On the other end (on axle) there should be a stud only w/nut of the same exact thread size.
87 GTS Coupe

danhtruong
Club4AG Regular

Postby danhtruong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 pm

thank you Mike! you are my hero :). My friend weld it for me, everything ready to do, my job right now is cut metal and buy a lateral rod.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm

danhtruong wrote:thank you Mike! you are my hero :). My friend weld it for me, everything ready to do, my job right now is cut metal and buy a lateral rod.

Thumbs up..! 8-)
87 GTS Coupe