KAAZ 2 WAY ISSUES!

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

KAAZ 2 WAY ISSUES!

Postby alabamaguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 pm

I bought a complete rear end with a Kaaz 2 Way a couple weeks back. I threw it in the car, changed the fluid with some non-synthetic 75w90 and a bottle of Friction Modifier from the local parts house and went out to play. That night it locked great and I absolutely loved it. I parked the car happy with my new parts and went to sleep. About a week later I got the car out for a little street action with the guys and it isn't what it was before. First gear it acts like it's open unless I clutch kick to start a slide. Like, at one point it wouldn't even do a donut. If I do small circles in first it won't hop or pop or chirp or anything but if I put it in second it'll start acting like it's locked up. I can slide in second and third just fine on accel and decel, It's like it only slips at low speed. My initial thought was that I used the wrong fluid but everything I find says that's probably not the issue. It feels like the clutch packs are toast but why did it lock like a champ when I first put it in? It's like it was doing fine on the old fluid but once the new got in there it gave up the ghost. I'm wondering if the friction modifier made it too slippery for the plates to grab all the time. I don't want to pull the third and rebuild it if I don't have to.

Deuce Cam

Re: KAAZ 2 WAY ISSUES!

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Try some 85w-140 non synthetic oil and don't add friction modifier. See if there's any change.

I doubt a single bottle of friction modifier would cause it to slip that much. I always use a bottle of motorcraft friction modifier with my cusco rs 1.5 and it locks up hard even in 1st gear.

Duy-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Duy- » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

yes it will cause it so slip that much, drain it immediately and order in some motul 90PA

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Was there a specific diff oil used in these lsd's? What does the kaaz manual say to use?
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Wreckless1

Postby Wreckless1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:12 am

Friction modifier should only be added to the rear diff if the rear diff is locking hard enough to make noise or 'hop' on normal street turns.

Friction modifier is literally additional oil that reduces how much your diff is locking up to compensate for locking up too hard. It was invented to make morons that bought clutch-type LSD's in new vehicles stop bitching about the rear diff making noise.

So ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS start with straight gear oil that is correct for your LSD, and only add friction modifier if it's acting too much like a welded diff.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 am

ALL GL5 and GL5 oils have friction modifier in them. There is no need to add more if you use a GL5 oil. I have had the best results with non-synthetic oils on clutch diffs. My Tomei diff does not chatter and locks up well withg Motul 90PA, so +1 on on that oil.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 am

I didn't have good luck with 90pa but others seem to. I used straight 90pa (no added friction modifier) on my brand new cusco rs 1.5 and it was insanely loud. Soon after I added friction modifier, then eventually switched to 85w-140 ns (with added friction modifier) because I noticed the clunking got worse on longer and/or spirited drives when the diff. would get really hot. The higher viscosity oil and friction modifier helped in my case. My lsd still feels almost like a welded diff. though, and it's got roughly 2k miles on it now.

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Alright, Changed over to 90pa and put a few miles on the car. Absolutely no change. I talked to Spence at Weir Performance and he says it's really rare for a Kaaz to need an overhaul. It locks *sometimes* but it's very unpredicatable and not a very strong lock. Anyone have any experience with failure in the Kaaz units?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm

You may want to at least try a higher viscosity oil before tearing it down. I'll admit it probably won't help, but it's worth a shot. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on fancy stuff. Just get something with a known name brand from your local auto parts store.

Clutch LSD's will wear out and need to be rebuilt eventually. It really depends on how long it's been used, but most importantly, what type of use it saw. For instance, regular drift abuse will wear it out a lot faster.

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Higher viscosity meaning thinner? Are you suggesting a synthetic, as most name brand oils are?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Higher viscosity is thicker. I wouldn't used a synthetic because they're generally more slippery than conventional oils. Autozone sells Valvoline non synthetic 85w-140 gear oil that's lsd safe (that's what I'm using). I'm sure Castrol has something comparable.

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm

I had thought about going with something that thick today when I changed it but decided to try that 90. I guess for $10 it's worth a shot. If not, I'll pull it apart and see what's going on in there.

ANONYMOUS_GANGSTER
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ANONYMOUS_GANGSTER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Duy- wrote:yes it will cause it so slip that much, drain it immediately and order in some motul 90PA

I have the same diff. Duy is spot on, use Motul 90PA best fluid to run on
the KAZZ.

ANONYMOUS_GANGSTER
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ANONYMOUS_GANGSTER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Duy- wrote:yes it will cause it so slip that much, drain it immediately and order in some motul 90PA

I have the same diff. Duy is spot on, use Motul 90PA best fluid to run on the KAZZ.

Barry
Club4AG Regular

Postby Barry » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

you've added to much friction modifier.

my fluid choice is NEO Synthetics, with NEO friction modifier. i only need to add between 1-5 squirts to the diff to correctly adjust LSD harshness. that is literally a max of 1 tablespoon of fluid.

you need to slowly add friction modifier to appropriately adjust LSD harshness. add a little, drive around and test, add more if needed.
-barry
Moderator - 9,500rpm club
1986 Corolla GT-S hatch, AE101, Toda 272, Haltech E8, etc (retired)
1992 Lexus SC400, LS2 Swap
2002 Audi A4 1.8t, GT2867R, 2Liter Stroked