Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

Postby BlackStar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I understand how to do them,(there is also a great write up on this site i think), but I am confused about getting replacment bearings. :oops: Apparently, there is an inner bearing, an outer bearing and a seal (judging form the diagram form the haynes book). To my dismay, it seems that I can't buy all three together as a set, I have to buy them one at a time. Is that true? I would like to buy form rock auto, but if autozone sells them as a set I'll go there. Whichever is cheaper frankly.

I also want to splurge a bit and get speed bleeders. I know where to purchase those; I would like to get new brake lines. Mine aren't broken, but they are in sorry shape( i am upgrading the front brake system, might as well not cheap out). Worth it price wise to go stainless steel? And any place to buy SS brakes lines, so I can judge for myself?

Now that I think about it, I might as well rebuild the front calipers. Iknow its easy to buy a kit, and just follow the instructions. What i remmeber from shop class is that compressed air is used to blow out the piston. I don't have an air compressor, is their another way to extract the piston form the caliper? I'll probably just take it to a shop to have it done, but its nice to stay at how when your all grimy lol

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Re: Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

Postby MisterJerk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 am

check out some of the sponsored companies on the forum.
i got some stainless brake lines, the difference is night and day compared to the stock ones.

for front wheel bearings and seals, a couple companies on here can sell you the whole kit for a great price, shipped to you.

now the front caliper rebuild, i havent done that yet, but i will be doing them both as soon as i get the rebuild kit from Cabe toyota.
If i have to use compressed air to get the pistons out, i may just take the pads off the caliper and use the brake pedal to push the piston out enough to grab it.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 am

BlackStar wrote:I understand how to do them,(there is also a great write up on this site i think), but I am confused about getting replacment bearings. :oops: Apparently, there is an inner bearing, an outer bearing and a seal (judging form the diagram form the haynes book). To my dismay, it seems that I can't buy all three together as a set, I have to buy them one at a time. Is that true? I would like to buy form rock auto, but if autozone sells them as a set I'll go there. Whichever is cheaper frankly.

I also want to splurge a bit and get speed bleeders. I know where to purchase those; I would like to get new brake lines. Mine aren't broken, but they are in sorry shape( i am upgrading the front brake system, might as well not cheap out). Worth it price wise to go stainless steel? And any place to buy SS brakes lines, so I can judge for myself?

Now that I think about it, I might as well rebuild the front calipers. Iknow its easy to buy a kit, and just follow the instructions. What i remmeber from shop class is that compressed air is used to blow out the piston. I don't have an air compressor, is their another way to extract the piston form the caliper? I'll probably just take it to a shop to have it done, but its nice to stay at how when your all grimy lol

It looks like z1 put together a kit: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1833

They were great to work with back in my Subaru days. I haven't used them in a few years though.

Omni86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Omni86 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

Not sure about complete kits I've only pieced orders. Its a simple fairly simple task, pack bearings w fresh grease and take time with preload if you are unfamiliar with the process. Dont put the nut/washer/cotter pin to tight that it creates too much friction/resistance, if you hear grinding loosen it abit so wheel spins freely with mild resitance. I think its 5-9lbs but haynes will have it. Easy to adjust with wheel on later.

Steel lines are great unless you run ruff, off/semi off road. Rubber will take rock hits better in my experience.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Spend the money and get good SS lines. I buy only Goodridge. Lifetime warranty. You can google pics the ching chong SS line knock off failures. Scary stuff.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm

88Rotors in the vendor section of the classifieds.

best prices i've found on the internet.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:17 pm

The goodridge lines are a little cheaper through tirerack.com

I got them for the warranty.and so far I'm happy. I wish there was an outer coating for the ss braid though. They also didn't come with any retention clips, etc. to fasten the fittings on the front lines to the strut casing - I ended up using E clips from the hardware store along with the stock brake line clips.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 am

LongGrain wrote:88Rotors in the vendor section of the classifieds.

best prices i've found on the internet.

^^ what he said. And they are coated over the stainless braid

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ssspacely » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 am

I am trying to find the write-up for replacing the front wheel bearings. I think the author was assassin. I can't remember. I used to have it bookmarked but my computer crashed. Please help. Thanks.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 am

The service manual has pretty clear and easy to understand steps with pictures. You can use the old bearing race in place of the SST described in the service manual to press in the new races.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 am

MisterJerk wrote:And they are coated over the stainless braid

They are?

Perhaps they changed that at some point. I bought mine new 1 year ago and there's no coating covering the outside for the ss braid.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:30 pm

mines are coated in a flexible clear rubber like sleeve. I bought them over a year ago, I think i got them from 88.. maybe i got them from RPM, I cant remember now.. damn getting old

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm

just got mine from 88 rotors yesterday and they are definitely coated.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for confirming, it's good they added that feature. When I got my goodridge lines I was disappointed that they didn't have a coating for the braid, especially considering my old name ss lines (I'm assuming ebay) did.

Good thing they have a lifetime warranty haha.

ras0ne
Club4AG Regular

Postby ras0ne » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 pm

I just replaced all these on my rolla.

To get the bearings out you're going to need a set of punches to hammer out the inner and outer bearing rings off the hub.

Having a vice to clamp the hubs down in is helpful also.

I was able to tap in the new bearing rings with the same punch. I just lightly tapped around the ring until it was fully seated.

I got all the seals and bearings from Orielly's, it didn't cost me that much.

You're also going to need some grease and some brake cleaner to clean out all the old gunk.

As for the stainless lines.

I did these when I was doing everything else, including a stainless clutch line.

In my opinion, stopping power seems to be the same, but the pedals are stiffer and a bit more responsive.

Just look at it as bringing your ride to the 21st century.

None of the above was hard...just a little tedious.