4age Head With No Cam Caps?!%#!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

4age Head With No Cam Caps?!%#!

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Alright, i bought a good cylinder head thats missing all the cam caps. :x The owner before me had lost them & I know how important that these stay together with the same head...i do have caps from another head that i could use, but is it advisable or not? Reason is i got new tomei cams to install. You get the picture...
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4age Head With No Cam Caps?!%#!

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm

No one? Damn,,this might just be a question for only a machinist could answer then huh?
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Yeah man. Just take it to a machine shop. They will have to machine the caps as best as they can to fit the new cams and to make them work with your cylinder head. :D

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 pm

no i would throw the caps on the head and use it as is. you cant machine the cam caps with out making the oil clearances too big. there is no bearings on the cam caps to take up the extra gap from machining. just check your head and caps for galling. if it is smooth then use them if there is galling get a different set. use some assembly lube on assembly you will be fine
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Torquethe caps per FSM. Have machine shop inspect the boes to be sure they're not off too much to Line Hone both sides. if good, have them Line Hone and have them de-burr/break the edges of the caps, where they met the head. Then have them inspect again. They might need to mix and match caps around but you should be fine.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks guys! The cam caps from my spare head are in excellent shape, with no galling, grooves or scratches on them.
I'll try those suggestions, but use stock cams. I won't install the new ones just yet. Yeah assy lube is a good call & the caps are numbered in order so I'll just install them in that way. I'll torque them down easy like in two stages while spinning the cam as I go. If I feel any binding, I'll stop...
87 GTS Coupe

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote: I'll torque them down easy like in two stages while spinning the cam as I go. If I feel any binding, I'll stop...

thats going to be tough to do since the tourqe spec is 9 ft/lb lol also make sure yoiu tourqe them in the correct patern and i think you will be fine
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 am

ga_goosh wrote:
KonaTrueno723 wrote: I'll torque them down easy like in two stages while spinning the cam as I go. If I feel any binding, I'll stop...

thats going to be tough to do since the tourqe spec is 9 ft/lb lol also make sure yoiu tourqe them in the correct patern and i think you will be fine

Yeah,,i'll be careful.. 4-1/2ft lbs at first then pull them up to 9lbs sequentially. See how it goes..Thnks!
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 am

I'm goin to torque in the caps without the cams first, & visually look for journal wear n protruding edges where the head mates to the cap. I'll mic it too,then proceed..
87 GTS Coupe

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 pm

the biggest thing you need to be careful with is where the cap mets head. there cant be a step, as in the cam shifted to one side. there is some wiggle room, so you might have to play with it.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

morgan wrote:the biggest thing you need to be careful with is where the cap mets head. there cant be a step, as in the cam shifted to one side. there is some wiggle room, so you might have to play with it.

10-4.. Maybe I'll just install the cam to center everything up then.. Just got the cam caps off my other head while taking a break from this bigger job I'm doin now...it's a 2005 gmc envoy I-6 4.2L alum block & head... @ only 67k, the exhaust valve in cylinder #4's exhaust chamber burnt up.. So im removing the head..Man what a bitch :!: four fricken head bolts snapped & broke on me in the block (around cylinder #4) during removal..heat dispersment problems I heard..I googled it
87 GTS Coupe

runkillerrabbit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby runkillerrabbit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm

broken bolts arent that hard to retract.
FIDM fashion design
ITT tech electrical engineer
FJC Fullerton automotive program

R2D2 build log

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 pm

runkillerrabbit wrote:broken bolts arent that hard to retract.

Yeah I already extracted them out, wasn't too bad.

I removed the valves & springs from my 4age head, installed the stock cams & torqued down the caps. So far both cams spin fairly easy. I'll remove them again tomarrow & check the journals.
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 pm

morgan wrote:the biggest thing you need to be careful with is where the cap mets head. there cant be a step, as in the cam shifted to one side. there is some wiggle room, so you might have to play with it.

Yeah i first dry installed the caps to check for any step at the mating points. There's very little you can play with on these. Stuck my finger in each journal, it was hard to tell. I ended up installing the cams anyway to center up the caps & torqued them. I did spin both cams about 30 revolutions each (engine rotation) then removed. No visible scratches or gouge marks that I could see.. Even the cams five bearing surfaces looked ok,,so i think i'm good!

Thanks for all the input guys!
87 GTS Coupe

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 pm

This is going to sound a bit stupid, but I am missing ONE cap.

Will a 4AC cap work on a 4AGE?
I have two 4ACs worth of parts laying around. How about 7AFE caps?

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I have a few spares. PM me and I'll ship you one, need the bolts too?
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 am

^^^ there ya go redroku87! Stick to 4age caps
87 GTS Coupe

8Ton
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8Ton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote:

Yeah i first dry installed the caps to check for any step at the mating points. There's very little you can play with on these. Stuck my finger in each journal, it was hard to tell. I ended up installing the cams anyway to center up the caps & torqued them. I did spin both cams about 30 revolutions each (engine rotation) then removed. No visible scratches or gouge marks that I could see.. Even the cams five bearing surfaces looked ok,,so i think i'm good!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Did you use a machinest dye? There is a blue dye that you can paint on the journals that will rub off on any high spots. In a pinch I have used a felt tipped pen to color the area in question. 30 odd revolutions with no significant load is unlikely to show any problem spots without dye.
Worst case, you could have the journals "re sized" at a machine shop. what they do is mill the entire top of the head and then align hone the journals BUT your cam to crank distance will be reduced slightly and you will need cam gears (same as if you milled the head for more compression or used a thinner HG)

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Yea,didnt want to second guess anything w/o messing up my new cams.. i just went & took it to my machinist had it clearance checked to the head & the new cams with dye stuff you mentioned. Resizing wasnt needed.. These parts were from low mileage motors,which prob has somethin to do with it I guess..? :D

Heads up to members or for anyone buying used aluminum heads utilizing these type of cam cap configuration..My machinst stressed that these caps must remain together to the same cylinder head it originated from when possible

Thanks 8ton
87 GTS Coupe

8Ton
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8Ton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:35 pm

the real issue is differences in the original castings and production line machining. they machine them together so that they are "perfect" but you mix and match and s#it gets fubar quick! Its the same reason to keep your main and rod caps in the same position. Toyota did a much nicer job in the '80s than mopar and chevy did (or may ever do), but it can still ruin your day! Glad it worked out for you!